The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Who smokes while reloading?

C'mon, admit it - I know some of you must think that if you're careful enough, you can get away with it - maybe not during the powder drop phases, but who smokes while reloading, at least some? I don't even smoke; I'm just curious.
Old February 16, 2007, 09:07 PM   #2
roy reali

Re:firstfreedom

I smoke after.
Old February 16, 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
joab

I'm also curious

One of the things that makes me hesitant to start reloading is that I am almost a chain smoker.
Lighting up is such a natural act that I would do it and not even realize it until I was over the neighbor's house
Old February 16, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4
K96771

Not while powder or primers are present, which means only during cleaning, depriming and sizing. I leave them in another room and catch one during pee and coffee breaks.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5
rem33

I used to smoke but I never smoked in the same room I was reloading in. In a buddys garage we usta reload in I would walk to the other side of the garage. Smoking and reloading is not or should not be compatible.
Old February 16, 2007, 10:49 PM   #6
rwilson452

I am also a chain smoker. I smoke while reloading. That said I don't smoke when I have exposed powder about. When urge strikes i leave the room. If I'm using my progressive I smoke. powder exposure is minimal with the progressive. it does pose a hazard. just don't wave a lit cigarette around the powder. If you havea cigarette in your mouth and lean over exposed powder you could have a real exciting time of it.
Old February 16, 2007, 11:49 PM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
I leave them in another room and catch one during pee and coffee breaks.
Yep, my strategy as well. I can last for a couple of hours without a cigar or cigarette, and heaven-forbid, I wouldn't want to ignite a 1 (or more) pound canister of powder on fire here in the house. I keep a fire-extinguisher nearby, but I hope I never have to try it out!

Thanks guys, for rattling my brain. After reading this thread, I went and checked my fire extinguisher, and the guage shows it's low. I haven't used it ever in the past 20 years, and I was never keen on discharging a dry-chemical one around the house anyway, so I just ordered a CO2 extinguisher. At $140, not cheap, but probably a good thing to have around.

Last edited by skeeter1; February 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Update
Old February 17, 2007, 01:13 AM   #8
RLSinKC

R U kidding me?

Please tell me that you can either wait to have a cigarette or you take a break from reloading if you feel like you need to smoke.

Let me guess, you leave your rifles loaded on the kitchen table, with a round chambered, and the safety off also.

Help me understand what the difference is.
Old February 17, 2007, 01:29 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...until I was over the neighbor's house..." Nothing to worry about. You'd likely inhale the flame from the burning powder and be dead long before there's any explosion. Smokeless powder doesn't explode. It burns.
Old February 17, 2007, 03:20 AM   #10
cheygriz

I'm all for smokinmg while reloading! It helps to clean out the gene pool!
Old February 17, 2007, 06:16 AM   #11
qajaq59

No way!!!!

I've done lots of dumb things over my 67 years and I have the scars to prove it. But even I don't smoke when I am reloading.
Old February 17, 2007, 07:29 AM   #12
Vitamin G

I bet the same people who smoke, are the same ones constantly posting about the dangers of lead exposure

Classic deflection
Old February 17, 2007, 09:21 AM   #13
joab

Quote:
You'd likely inhale the flame from the burning powder and be dead long before there's any explosion.
Where's the fun in that.

rwilson452
My problem is that I don't get the urge to smoke, it's just something I do. Many times I don't realize that I have a cigarette in my mouth.
I have worked alone so long that I rarely have to consider anyone else when I light up.

I'm going to have to severely rethink my safety precautions before I set my rig up
Old February 17, 2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Abstract

The cogent question would be, "Who, with half-a-brain, smokes, under any circumstances?"
Old February 17, 2007, 11:09 AM   #15
ammo.crafter

Reloading is a relaxation experinece for me and nothing goes better with relaxation than a fine Cuban cigar and music. Though I must clarify, I reload in my basement which is extremely large and the cigar is on the otherside of the basement.
Old February 17, 2007, 11:22 AM   #16
RevoRick

Candidates for the Darwin Awards!!
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old February 17, 2007, 11:28 AM   #17
MADISON

Smoking while reloading

STOP BEING STUPID!!!
You need to take a pound of any powder you don't use outside with a pack of matches. Pour that powder in a straight line. Place several matches in a small pile on the powder and light the matches. RUN!!!
Consider this flame inside you home and the damage it will/would do.
Don't smoke around your reloading are.
Old February 17, 2007, 11:41 AM   #18
Vitamin G

Mmm... cigar.

Thats another story.

(The sad thing is, I like to smell OTHER people smoking them. Can't stand them myself)
Old February 17, 2007, 12:15 PM   #19
rangermonroe

I do.
Old February 17, 2007, 12:37 PM   #20
Bulldog1806

I don't know if you want to quit smoking, but if you do, get your doctor to prescribe CHANTIX.

http://www.CHANTIX.com

My girlfriend was a smoker and after 5 day she started to notice that it was working and there are no side effects. I was truly amazed. I just thought I would share this with you guys.

Last edited by Bulldog1806; February 17, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old February 17, 2007, 01:26 PM   #21
hodaka

Only with a hookah!
Old February 17, 2007, 03:03 PM   #22
K96771

Skeeter1 - good tip on having the fire extinguisher - smoker or not. I think I'll pick up another this weekend. Abstract - are you trying to hijack this link?!?
Old February 17, 2007, 05:30 PM   #23
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

It's a VERY bad idea, in my case.

Hey, I admit it: I'm a hopeless tobacco addict. If I can go without smoking for an hour or so at a stretch, anyone can.

When I had a spacious workshop and loading area in the garage of a former residence, I smoked during loasding, except when i was actually charging cases with powder. In my current house, thouugh, I'm using an extra bedroom, which is rather small, and which is carpeted.. I also have a lot of other gear stored there. It is difficult to efficiently operate the vacuum cleaner in that enviornment. My workbench is also quite crowded.

Given that it is nearly impossible to avoid spilling some powder, and how hard it is to throughly clean it up, smoking in that room is just too risky. And yes, I have a fire extinguisher. I'm not so worried about an explosion (really pretty hard to manage with small quantities of smokeless powder) so much as about a fire. If my loading area caught fire, I'd have to simply leave, get my wife and dogs out, and watch the house burn. Even with a four minute resonse by the fire department, at least that entire corner of the house would be involved before they could sray any water.

Just my thoughts on the topic. Guess I'll have another cigarette and then go back to loading .45-70 ammo.

Best,
Johnny
Old February 17, 2007, 06:34 PM   #24
TJ Freak

Smoking

I neither smoke nor drink while reloading. I do both to reward myself after a loading session though.
Old February 18, 2007, 08:28 AM   #25
Rico567

My oldest friend smoked like a pile of burning tires on any and all occasions, including reloading. He also was the type of reloader who had "primer grenades," (glass jars partially full of live primers) and open coffee cans full of odd lots of powder- the list could go on.

Strangely enough, my friend didn't die either of lung cancer or of sending his house to the moon through some smoking-related reloading mishap. The coroner's verdict was congestive heart failure at age 57, a catch-all term for "He came to the clearing at the end of the path."

I smoked during my early reloading years, but never during reloading.

- Mark Twain