The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 26, 1999, 11:12 PM   #1
Andygold

I just got the above rifle, and the amount of creep in the trigger is staggering. Even though my Mini-14 is supposedly less accurate, it goes "bang" when you "squeeze" the trigger(very little creep), and I get much better accuracy because of this. I'm not tremendously steady with long arms...and with the AR, I'm inadvertantly swinging the rifle, with the sights moving like a pendulum. I try to squeeze when I believe I'm gonna be on the bullseye...only problem is the inch or so of trigger creep. Yes I know that alot of it is technique, but does anyone know of any "drop-in" parts, or a trigger that will eliminate this creep? I am told that I don't want to buy Bushmaster's DCM two-stage competition trigger", as this is for competition only. The Shorty is being used for home defense/varmint hunting.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
Andy
Old October 27, 1999, 07:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Andy, I sell 3 different triggers for for the Ar-15. All three are drop-in. I can recommend all three. If you like, measure your hammer and trigger pin diameters and e-mail me for details. George
Old October 27, 1999, 09:42 AM   #3
DeBee

I have a Colt Tactical Elite Lower awaiting an Upper- preferably a post ban Colt 16" Lightweight 1x9...

Anyway. I had a JP Trigger installed by Barry at Metalcrafters (search metalcrafters on the web). That trigger is so sweet, my other rifles are jealous of the attention I give it. Breaks around 3lbs. no creep, very little overtravel, literally surprises you when in snaps...

IMHO this is the only modification your Bush needs. I love the stock shorty, but the trigger has to go. Watch your groups shrink and firepower increase...
Old November 7, 1999, 06:59 PM   #4
WalterGAII

I've installed three JP trigger/hammer combos, all in Shorty carbines. BTW, all Bushmasters take the mil spec "small" pins.

The JP is a drop-in as far as basic intallation goes. You do have to file a little on the part of the trigger assembly that engages the safety. This is well illustrated, and is simple to do. Also, there is a possibility that you might have to file just a smidgen off of the connector. This also is well illustrated in the instructions and is simple to do. I get under 2# trigger pull, with no creep or overtravel.

If you want the best, easiest-to-install two-stage, get a Jewell. They're about $175. I get the JP's (hammer and trigger) through Midway for $135.

I shoot .5" groups with my Shorty, using Berger bullets. With bulk stuff, I easily shoot an inch or so.

[This message has been edited by WalterGAII (edited November 08, 1999).]
Old November 7, 1999, 09:19 PM   #5
Andygold

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the JP product. I'm considering the DCM version with the 4.5lb weight. I was curious as to whether this trigger is too light though for combat/law enforcement use. Can the trigger be adjusted to a higher weight if so desired? Yes I know that this would negate some of the benefits of this system, but all i'm really looking for is a way to get rid of the trigger's creep.

Thanks,

Andy