The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 1999, 10:04 PM   #1
DeBee

In 1996, I built up a Springfield Sporter in the Express rifle style .30-06 kind of a light (10lbs!) African rifle.

The rifle turned out beautiful. Very attractive walnut, nice old style rust bluing... the only problem is when I shoot it I get what feels like an intense electric shock to my shoulder pocket. I can't even finish off a box of 180 grain Winchesters...
The rifle seems to be acting like a tuning fork aimed right at my shoulder.

Possible problems might be:

I cut the LOP to my size at a 90 degree angle to the bore? AND/OR

The chamber is too tight? Primers are slightly flattened but not totally pancaked, extraction is fine...

Any suggestions to get this fine rifle off the rack and into my arms again would be appreciated...
Old October 30, 1999, 07:56 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

DeBee, it almost sounds medical. I can't recall anyone ever describing recoil as feeling like an electric shock. If you have other rifles that recoil the same, do they give you the same feeling? Have you tried a recoil pad? George
Old October 30, 1999, 10:37 AM   #3
John Lawson

Spend a few bucks more and fit a sorbothane butt pad. When you have the buttpad off, bore a hole and insert one of the mercury filled recoil reducers they make for shotguns.
Old October 30, 1999, 12:01 PM   #4
DeBee

The butt pad is a basic Pachmayr thin black pad. I don't think its medical, I did fracture my shoulder in childhood- but that was the left shoulder...

Shooting 12 gauge short mag slugs in an 870 is not as uncomfortable as touching off a few rounds from the Springfield Express...

Glad I didn't fit the Nieder plate...

Do you think changing the pitch would lessen the bite? Any thoughts welcome.
Old October 30, 1999, 05:57 PM   #5
Paul B.

DeBee. I have to go along with George. Does this rifle sit differently against your shoulder. A 10 pound 06 should be mild as hell, even with hot loads. I ask about it's sitting differently, because the electrical shock feeling sound like a nerve being affected. I had surgery on my hand about a year ago. Although my hand was anesthisized (sp), the doctor hit a nerve, and my hand felt like I'd stuck it in a light socket.
It may not be the answer, but I think it is worth looking into.
Paul B.
Old October 30, 1999, 11:02 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, DeBee,

Have you fired any other .30-'06 rifles of that weight? You may be one of those people who are especially sensitive to recoil. Things to consider: the stock shape, how you hold the rifle, and your shooting position. By the latter, I mean that firing a rifle off a bench will not let your body move so there is more felt recoil than firing off hand, as one would normally fire a shotgun.

You might consider an X-ray of the right shoulder. Is it possible that the same incident that caused your broken left shoulder could have caused a crack in your right shoulder that has not healed properly?

Jim
Old October 31, 1999, 03:50 PM   #7
DeBee

It's something to do with the way the rifle sits in my shoulder pocket. The scope might be too high and I'm mounting the gun too low and the top edge of the pad is digging in...

I stop shooting this one from the bench after a few rounds- offhand maybe a few more shots but then I'm done.

My friend watched me shoot yesterday- I asked him to observe my technique- he said he didn't see anything wrong but he's a one box a year maybe shooter...

He agreed the rifle recoiled more than his Rem 760 .30-06 but he didn't experience any bite like I get. He's built differently than I am. His Remington gave me a nice shove- no bite- and the pad is thin plastic...

Since the LOP is adjusted to me with this pad in place, I'm going to round off the top and sides of the pad in a sporting clays fashion then retest. I might try to alter the pitch of the stock if I can find some research on the subject. I agree a 10lb .30-06 should be, and was built to be a pussycat...
Old November 2, 1999, 09:57 AM   #8
Wallew

This is the strangest thing. I have a very short story that might help. Years ago, my little sister had a horse she said I could ride. So I went over, saddled him up. Got on once, threw me off. Got on second time, on the ground again(second time really hurt). A later inspection of the saddle showed that there was one nail that had just barely worn through the padding. No big deal for my little sister (90 lbs), but BIG deal when I got on (240 lbs). Horse never did like me after that. I tell you this story with a moral in mind. Change, not fix, the recoil pad. Stay with the same make and model if you want, but maybe, just maybe, all the factors combine to have you getting 'bit' in just the right place. Just an idea.

[This message has been edited by Wallew (edited November 02, 1999).]
Old November 3, 1999, 03:17 PM   #9
DeBee

Ok. The pad goes. Naturally I epoxied it on. Leaning toward the Decellerator but that means cutting off more of the beautiful wood and some refinishing probably...

After mounting the rifle dozens of times in the mirror with my shirt off (don't let anyone catch you doing this) I've determined I mount the thing high- the top third of the pad isn't even on my shoulder... normal?

Also, judging from the bruise left on my shoulder from the weekends shoot, I'm taking some recoil on my arm/shoulder junction instead of all shoulder- could the cheek piece be causing me to mismount?