The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 30, 2006, 06:06 PM   #76
pickpocket

Quote:
This seems to be a touchy subject on TFL, because every time its brought up, you see a flood of responses about getting pounded in the ass in federal prison, and/or a thread lock.
Ok, good point. I didn't actually want anyone to produce a reciept but I see your point.

Quote:
The truth is, price of black market MG's all depends who you get them from. Every time the guns change hands, the price goes up. Typically, black market machine guns are smuggled in from other countries. It is indeed much easier than you think to get machine guns off the black market, and that goes for anywhere in the world.
I'm not saying they're impossible to get, I'm saying that it's not as easy as driving to McDonald's and ordering one at the drive-through.
We all know people who say "Oh yeah? If I wanted one I could have one in 20 minutes"... but will never be able to deliver because it's just a bunch of **** talking.
I know exactly how easy it is to get them in certain parts of the world.

Quote:
When I was in high school, I knew several nefarious punks, and they offered me many guns, the most notable being my choice of BXP's or Israeli Uzi's for $800. each, and leftover world war II thompsons for $1,000. each. I was offered AK's, but I don't remember a price.
Right...and that was how long ago? I remember in HS I knew people that had AK's available, and that was more than 10 years ago. I'm in the 4th largest city in the nation and it would have cost about $2,000. Significanly less than what it would cost to purchase one legally, true...but still not easily available.

Quote:
The thing to remember is, laws do not effect criminals, so they do not stop the flourishing black market. If you wanted to take your chances and get an illegal full auto, you could do it very easily by getting in touch with someone in the drug trade. Most small time dealers don't sell guns, but they certainly have contacts.
True. BUT, if you have experience with this kind of thing, the people who have access to this stuff are not the most trusting people. Certain requests up the chain tend to get certain types of responses and require certain types of relationships be built. At the very least, people are going to do everything they can to distance themselves and make everything "safe"...
Again, the point is that while it's not as difficult as convincing a recaltricant CLEO to sign off on your request, it's also not as easy as walking up to someone on the street and offering them some money.

Laws don't affect criminals directly. But I'd bet that the ATF has reduced the availability...which drives up both cost and risk, even on the black market.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old March 30, 2006, 07:32 PM   #77
22-rimfire

Do NOT obtain an unregistered fully automatic firearm. You will be eventually discovered and you will go to prison. They enforce this. It is an open and shut case and you might as well plead guilty because you ARE going to federal prison. You don't want that.

If you want one, pay the price and purchase one that is transferrable. And yes, you will have the ATF looking over your shoulder from time to time.
Old March 30, 2006, 08:23 PM   #78
pickpocket

22-rimfire -
Thanks for the advice, but I think you've missed the point of the thread. Catch up and then let's see what you have to say.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old March 31, 2006, 07:22 AM   #79
MicroBalrog

Quote:
If the line isn't drawn at fully-automatic weapons, then where does it get drawn? Apache helicopters? 27mm chain-guns? 25mm cannons? M1A1 Abrahms? 105mm howitzers? Tactical nukes?
I vote for "anything which can conceivably be used without infringing on the rights of others". That disqualifies nukes due to their fallout and environmental effect.

As to the other ones:

Quote:
Apache helicopters?
Yes.

Quote:
27mm chain-guns? 25mm cannons? M1A1 Abrahms? 105mm howitzers?
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
Old March 31, 2006, 09:16 AM   #80
gunslinger555

MicroBalrog, [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] do you need all that for (sarcasm off) i know [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] i need it all for
Old March 31, 2006, 11:47 AM   #81
MicroBalrog

I don't need it for anything, nor can I realistically afford any of that stuff.

But that is besides the point.