The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Ruger only 45 ACP revolver loads ???

as I've been paging through my reload manuals, I've noticed all the 45 ACP loads ( & to an extent, even the Autorim loads ) are all using typical semi auto powders... I'd like to find some load data that will give me some +P performance out of my converted Blackhawk... in new Autorim cases...

I'd think from past loading experience, H-110 & Lil Gun would be decent powders to use in the revolvers but I can't find any data... The S&W 625 aught to be able to handle at least warm loads, & is common enough, that there may be some revolver only loads out there... anyone have a source ???
Old April 3, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You won't find any data, either. There's too little powder space to use something like H110/296 effectively. With a 230 grain round nose bullet seated to the maximum 1.275" COL, you could fill the space under the bullet 100% with H110/296 and still not make +P pressure. In addition, it will use up a lot of powder and what you use will burn so poorly it will leave fouling and gritty bits of unburned powder all over the place. You will get a great fireball, though.

I think you'll find Accurate #7 and Alliant Power Pistol are going to max out performance pretty much across the board (185-230 grain bullets) in the .45 Auto and Auto Rim at +P pressures.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 3, 2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Scorch

I have seen 45ACP load data for Blue Dot. Keep in mind that the pistol the cartridge was originally designed for works best at around 17,000 cup, and will beat itself to death around 19,000 cup. Since you are talking about a SA revolver you are talking about a whole new beast, it should be able to take higher pressure loads and digest them without a hiccup. Maybe you can find some 45 Super load data, that will be about 10%-15% hotter.
Old April 3, 2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I thought about using or at least using the starting 45 Super data, but... with less case capacity the pressures would be different, at the least...
Old April 3, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Sevens

.45 Super use the same case.

.460 Rowland uses a larger case, but I don't see why you couldn't go with .45 Super. Obviously, you'd have to be diligent about marking the loaded rounds so that they don't find their way in to another .45 Auto chambered firearm.
Old April 3, 2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

yep... sorry, I was thinking 45 Win Mag... 45 Super would likely be a better starting point...

I'm using autorim cases, so no autos... but I need to be just as diligent about keeping the +P's out of my Colt 1917...

I use different color plastic cartridge boxes for the +P & for the 1917, I write clearly on the boxes +P, I put the recipe on each box, & I intend to just use jacketed bullets for the +P loads, & only cast bullets for the 1917...

that should cover it for as long as I live anyway...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 3, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Sevens

Sounds good.
Quote:
that should cover it for as long as I live anyway...
Actually, I think that's the only real issue. All good when you know what you are doing... I think it's most likely to get dangerous when you are gone and someone else has them.
Old April 3, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

any customs we do, I'm always careful to stamp the chambering on the gun, & we have several cartridges my buddy & I have done up over the years, but we are always careful to make sure nothing of higher pressure can be chambered...

I'll likely put a red target dot on the boxes of +P stating "WARNING" no 1917 revolver use... or similar...
Old April 3, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Sevens

As I am quite familiar with you, MWM, and also with how you came in to many of your guns & handloading gear (), I am certain that you are well aware of this exact kind of thing. Some times, my posted concerns are much more for the subject in general -- for the benefit of anyone/everyone who reads the thread, than for the other poster active in the thread that I'm discussing it with.

I have zero doubt that you'll cover all the bases, but it still seems a good idea to discuss it in the thread.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

I understand, & I likely post the way I do for others reading the post as well...

there are some crazy guns & chamberings out there, & being friends with one of the most prolific custom gun builders I know, I've seen a lot of them... good thing he's as cautious / conservative as he is, probably why we get along so well... but I've also personally witnessed people stuffing the wrong cartridge into rifles before... ( often times it's the original owner who is just too "casual" with labeling things... ) if you start reforming brass, & all of a sudden you cant trust the headstamps... things need to be well labeled

in pulling out some old rifles out of the storage crate & mounting them on the walls of the safe room, I came across a custom gun that was my FIL's with no chambering stamped on the gun... fortunately for me, I have an extensive collection of cartridges, & I was able to figure out it was chambered in 8 X 57 Mauser, but I would guess a .308 may have chambered ??? ( I don't memorize that stuff, it's what I have books for )

anyway... it never hurts to always warn about safety
Old April 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #11
zeke

Sierra 5th edition has special 45 acp revolver section, with qualifier they are not for semi auto 45 acp. The loads are hotter than the 45 AR and 45 acp sections.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Ruger45LC

I've read this article before, but thought you might find it interesting:

Ruger Blackhawk 45 Auto Loads

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

I've not messed with any of it myself in my convertible Ruger. I do have a lot of .45 Super brass, which would be where I would start, but I'm not sure what the results would be like.

I've flirted around with using almost 460 Rowland starting charges in my .45 Super setup (Gen4 G21 w/KKM 4 port comp) and it's worked great, brass is strong and looks good. I'm getting 200gr over 1300 fps, 230gr at near 1250 fps and 250gr XTP/hardcast at almost 1200 fps (KKM bbl w/threading is right at 5" long).
Old April 4, 2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the link... there is some good info there...

might have to keep an eye out for some Longshot powder I'm sure I don't have a bottle of that in then powder library yet...
Old April 7, 2013, 08:35 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

trials, then tribulations

For MAXimum-performance use Alliant Power Pistol.

Your MAXimum-performance charge WILL, however, exceed the case-neck tension and crimp's ability to secure that hard-driven 230g FMJ.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
WESHOOT2

learnt

Tim learnt to use a cannelured bullet in 45 Colt if intending to launch it at more than 750fps...so it would stay put.