The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 7, 2013, 03:53 PM   #1
.50cal packer

need help finding powder!!!

I'm wanting to purchase a pound of h4895 or imr 4895. It seems to be completely out of stock everywhere. I can find it in 8lbs but not the 1lbs... So do they not make these powders anymore, and if not, is there an equivalent to this powder? All rifles I'm loading are C&R, and I'm new to loading so please be gentle and keep that in mind. Thanks in advance and any and all suggestions are welcome...
Old March 7, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
hammered54

I'd buy the 8 pound jug....at close to 50 grains per round a 1 pound bottle wont last to long.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3
.50cal packer

Is the 8lb jug in my best interest? Not knowing if this is the best powder for these rifles, $160+ seems steep to spend if it isn't what I'm wanting. Is this the best powder for my mosin and Swiss???
Old March 7, 2013, 04:41 PM   #4
chiefr

Problem is 4895 is one of the powders used in 223. All powders commonly used in 223 are scarce. There are posters who think you are lucky to find any at all.
4895 is a good choice for both 7.5 Swiss & 7.62x54 Russian.
Old March 7, 2013, 05:40 PM   #5
led0321

Re: need help finding powder!!!

You just have to keep looking. I got two pounds from Cabelas and 5 pounds from Brownells in Jan and Feb.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
mehavey

Quote:
"...H4895 or imr 4895. ...is there an equivalent to this powder?
All of these powders will get you similar pressure/velocity/burn completion/case-fill
performance at the 48-49,000 psi level in "nominal" 7.62-8mm variants:

Accurate 2520
IMR 4895
Vihtavuori N140
Accurate 2495
Alliant Reloder-15
Alliant Reloder-17
IMR 4320
Hodgdon VARGET

The exact powder/bullet weights for any particular cartridge however will vary slightly, and so should come from a good reloading manual.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:02 PM   #7
david_r

If you posted your location someone might step in and offer halfsies.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:09 PM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
Is this the best powder for my mosin and Swiss???
While 4895 may not be the best powder for the Swiss, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a good load for it. IMR- or H-4895 is a very versatile rifle powder. There's not a lot of fine tuning involved with a Mosin so any powder you don't like in other rifles works well to use up there.

I'd say it would be hard for you to go wrong with any of the 4895's.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:14 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

Does no one who asks these questions have loading manuals or the ability to look at the powder makers' websites?

Find the load you want to use, buy the powder - to save the most, buy it in 8# jugs at an average price of $15/pound as opposed to 30-40 per pound
Old March 8, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
William T. Watts

This isn't a good hobby to pinch pennies

Now isn't the time to start reloading, there aren't any components available anywhere in large numbers, one could go blind looking at a computer screen. If your looking to pinch pennies your out of luck, that option was long ago. First things first do your research and decide what powder, what primers, what cases, which press, which priming tool, which scale, which calibers your wanting to load. There is a long long list of things you will be needing, do your due diligence, decide what you want and how much your willing to spend. It's not going to be cheap, if you think so get that out of your head now. If your serious purchase at least two loading manuals beginning with the ABC's of reloading and read them cover to cover and then decide if this hobby is for you or not. Maybe when you finish components will be available again, if they are look to spend at least 1K (or more) for start up.. William
Old March 8, 2013, 12:46 PM   #11
.50cal packer

Whoa!!

First, I'd like to thank those of you who made comments that were helpful, beneficial and educational. I never intended to be a smart ass, so being disrespectful of my original post is really unnecessary. I stated that I was new to reloading, and was just wanting advice on powder... I had to do some research to come up with the h4895 or imr4895. I didn't just pull letters and numbers out of my ass, and it just so happens to be a type of powder. I also am aware of this not a way of pinching pennies. I wanted this to be a way to get the most accuracy out of my guns and a cool hobby to pass time. I'm not bitching about the price of things. I was curious about the powder and was wondering if spending the money on that one, would be a waste. I'm new, and had a question.... didn't mean to [anger] the last two posters. Stupid question... don't comment on it! For those who did offer advice and help, thanks again. It was greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; March 9, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: language
Old March 8, 2013, 12:55 PM   #12
hodaka

4064, either Accurate or IMR, is another that will work. Few reload .223 with it so it may be easier to find. My K-31 loves it.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:27 PM   #13
dahermit

Quote:
If you posted your location someone might step in and offer halfsies.
Where are you located? I have half a old IMR-4895 one-pound can that I could possibly donate. I do very little rifle hand loading anymore.
Old March 8, 2013, 03:52 PM   #14
F. Guffey

Today, 12:46 PM #11
.50cal packer

I wanted this to be a way to get the most accuracy out of my guns and a cool hobby to pass time. I'm not about the price of things. I was curious about the powder and was wondering if spending the money on that one, would be a waste. I'm new, and had a question.... didn't mean to p!ss the last two posters off. Stupid question... don't comment on it! For those who did offer advice and help, thanks again. It was greatly appreciated.

50.cal packer, Sir, I have know William T. Watts for years, remember, we should not be too quick to anger, their could be some on the outside looking in. We are reloaders, we own guns, how do you want to be perceived? Back to William T. Watts, I have never know him to be malicious, one of the things that make up his character is his dedication to avoiding and or being being confrontational.

Accuracy and 4895, , out of the last 32 pounds of powder I have acquired, none of it is 4895.

F. Guffey
Old March 8, 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
Boomer58cal

I just had to add... yes people should generally do a LOT more research than they think when first attempting to load for themselves, but I'm glad many of them come here and ask "stupid" questions before they do. My father and I have used combined hundreds of pounds of both 4895's since the 60's. I have had better results with varying my powder charge and the seating depth of the bullet than changing from powder to powder. You do need however a powder that is compatible with the intended cartridge your loading. If you want to nit pick powders over getting an extra few fps and accuracy that's up to you.Be safe and feel free to ask all the "stupid" questions you need. Most of us would rather answer a few questions below our pay grade than see your name on the 6:00 news.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:19 PM   #16
pnolans

To: "F. Guffey", Standing from the outside looking in, I believe the "whoa" comment might have been directed at the reply from BinDinFL.

I might be wrong, but that's what I "perceived".

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old March 8, 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

So what? Someone comes here, it is obvious they have no manuals or are using published data, yet they are willing to bet their fingers and eyes on internet suggestions?
Yes, I will slam that approach because they are a danger to themselves and anyone else around them, sorry if that seems rude.....this is NOT something to take lightly.

Want to get an idea? sure....but if you are using data from anonymous internet posters instead of published data from the powder and bullet makers, then you are a perfect candidate for a Darwin award
Old March 8, 2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Nathan

I sort of agree that it might be best to try before buying 8lbs. Those guns aren't accurate enough in common form to really like one powder a lot more than another. Maybe a little bit. I would buy a pound first, but it might not matter.

When designing a load, I think your order of importance is something like:
1) bullet selection
2) case preparation
3) charge weight
4) powder burn rate or fit to caliber
5) exact powder brand/type
6) primer brand/ type
7) advance case prep flash hole/ neck turn

So, I'm thinking in an old military rifle, I would sweat the powder brand/name, unless I could only find something else and then, that might be close enough.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:07 PM   #19
pnolans

Quote:

So what? Someone comes here, it is obvious they have no manuals or are using published data, yet they are willing to bet their fingers and eyes on internet suggestions?
Yes, I will slam that approach because they are a danger to themselves and anyone else around them, sorry if that seems rude.....this is NOT something to take lightly.

Want to get an idea? sure....but if you are using data from anonymous internet posters instead of published data from the powder and bullet makers, then you are a perfect candidate for a Darwin award
Just to be clear, I wasn't make a judgement. I would like to stay out of the whole thing.

I was trying to clarify what *I THOUGHT* the op was responding to in the "whoa" replay they made.

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my soon to come bumper sticker.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Fatelvis

Honestly, either of the 4895s are so versatile and useful, I wouldn't hesitate buying an 8lb jug. I would bet a dollar to a doughnut that you will want to use that powder in the future for another caliber if you dont care for it now!
Have fun loadin' and shootin'!
Old March 8, 2013, 08:46 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

pnolans - no offense to you, at all

but the OP sure sounds like there is no reloading manual in the library. Not using published data from the makers of either the powder or bullet is asking for danger. With the flood of millions of new gun owners and the tens of thousands of new reloaders who come here and to other sites looking for the "quick answer" instead of doing their homework, we as experienced reloaders need to do a "STOP, RTFM" and then have them ask for clarifications, not before they have read the books
Old March 8, 2013, 10:38 PM   #22
William T. Watts

Brunos has some powder at this time

If my comments set you off your fuse is too short, additionally your choice of words leaves a great deal to be desired. My comments were ment to be factual and a reflection of what is available at this time which is limited supplies. If I needed powder (which I don't) but if I did I would know exactly what I needed and where to find it. As has been pointed out either of the 4895 powders are quite versitile and can be used in a great number of calibers. With that said it isn't a stretch to go ahead and purchase an 8 pound jug to save a little money and quite possibly last a long time before another purchase is necessary. But I do think reading will help you develope the knowledge you need and the vocabulary your going to need to fully enjoy this hobby. Your going to get out of it what you put in, take the chip off your shoulder and go to work doing your part, questions are fine but in the end your going to have to do it yourself. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; March 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:14 PM   #23
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinFL
But the OP sure sounds like there is no reloading manual in the library. Not using published data from the makers of either the powder or bullet is asking for danger. With the flood of millions of new gun owners and the tens of thousands of new reloaders who come here and to other sites looking for the "quick answer" instead of doing their homework, we as experienced reloaders need to do a "STOP, RTFM" and then have them ask for clarifications, not before they have read the books
You certainly have a valid point when giving the meat and potatoes for advice. The called pitch may be the right one, but the style of delivery could be adjusted. Again, reading a manual is most certainly the first and best step in the process. But the OP didn't say he did or did not read manuals first. Do many new loaders fail to do this? I'm willing to bet sadly it is the case. But let's give members the benefit of the doubt and/or clarify a few issues before asserting oneself too blatantly.

Let's all keep in mind we have a member that's wanting to explore a hobby/lifestyle that we all have grown to love. We were all in his shoes at one time or another. As I hope people were patient with you starting up, I expect the same culture to pass on to the ones new today.

The LAST thing we need is to turn off those that otherwise would help bolster what's left of our gun culture in our beloved, yet troubled country.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 10, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24
Boomer58cal

Personally I'd rather a newbe ask some questions here than guess. Every time I've heard some ask a "what if I" or a "I had an idea" question on this forum and it wasn't safe at least a half a dozen people speak up and scream STOP!!!. I like that and I'm glad they do.

As to manuals... Buy every one you can find. I do. I have at least a dozen. That way you can compare them. Just like you should compare what everyone here says and start with the safest bet.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:21 PM   #25
cdbeagle

I am new to reloading, ordered all of my equipment in January and it came this week finally. I will agree that now is not the best time to start reloading based on the shortages of equipment and components but so what? I have asked some stupid questions about reloading on this forum and all the responses I have received were polite and informative. I too believe that the OP probably has manuals and is reading them. I have purchased two manuals and one came with my reloading kit. I am just a little scared to start by myself so I will be attending reloading classes at Cabela's and my FFL will be instructing me in person, he has been reloading since he was 15. I will be asking many stupid questions in the months to come.

My initial reason to start reloading is because I have a CZ 6.5x55 and the good ammo for that caliber is very high dollar. What pushed me over the hump though is that my son and I acquired AR-15's at the beginning of November(thankfully before the craze) and I do not like hunting with FMJ ammo. If I want to shoot or hunt with my AR in the foreseeable future I will have to reload.

Components are scarce but you can still get it in dribbles and I don't even know all the places to look. For .223 alone I have been able to score 5000 AR primer's($85.00 was a decent price I believe), 4 lbs of CFE 223, 1 lb of AR-Comp, 2000 once fired Lake City cases and 1000 bullets. I figure that will keep me going for a while and the bullets are the easiest component to find, at least for me.