The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old November 3, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
bulletproof

A Second Assault Weapons Ban / FYI

I know that a lot of ya'll here build. This is something that I had not thought of, and so I'm posting this in case you didn't think of it either.

http://cdn2.cheaperthandirt.com/blog...Iss13+Campaign
Old November 3, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
johnwilliamson062

You know how military units burn up all their ammo at the end of the year so their budget isn't reduced?

Can you imagine public ranges if ammo possession limits go into effect? Even if many lose ammo on a fishing trip most will be scared enough to turn it in.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
bulletproof

We just might have some trying times ahead!
Old November 3, 2012, 11:48 PM   #4
djcantr

We very well may see another assault weapons ban. If it happens, surely it will be grandfathered in. I'm slowly acquiring parts in case they aren't available or are illegal to purchase later on. The ammo possession limit would be very difficult to enforce, I'd think. I have 10k rounds on hand and while that's a fraction of what many on here have, I suspect it'd be higher than the allowed possession limit. When you think about 8-10 calibers/gauges, that's really not a lot of each one. I'd really like to have 50k-100k on hand. Would the ATF be knocking on my door with a warrant to count the ammo I have? I reload. How would they control components? Ammo would be much harder to control than serialized firearms.
Old November 3, 2012, 11:57 PM   #5
p loader

from the article:

Quote:
examined the states’ laws that currently have an assault weapons ban in place and drew my own conclusions about what President Obama’s assault weapons ban could look like:
Read: Speculation.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:10 AM   #6
djcantr

Of course it is just speculation. I do believe we will face a ban of some sorts again in the future but I don't think it will be as extreme as the linked content suggests.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:33 AM   #7
hank327

I think Cheaper Than Dirt is just trying to stir up the same type of hysteria that occurred four years ago. Remember how prices of almost anything firearms related shot up through the roof with Obama's election and fears that he would impose another AWB and other gun control laws?

Cheaper Than Dirt was one of the worst price gougers during that frenzy. They wouldn't want to see a repeat of four years ago and attempt to kick start it would they? Naw, I don't think so...
Old November 4, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Eghad

A gun seller stirring the hysteria pot..... imagine that.

NRA Life Member
Old November 4, 2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Metal god

I live in CA everything short of confiscation I live with every day or do we . The bullet button got around alot of that crap.. I remember that AWB all to well . I bought a AK with a thumb hole stock , Im not sure if it was federal but CA put a 10 round limit on mags , no flash hiders , limits on stocks . it went on and on . Then the bullet button came to be . As much of a pain in the azz that thing is . If you have a bullet button you can have pistol grip , flash suppressers , folding stocks , and alot of all the other goodies on your AR/AK. I sure hope there will never be another Federal AWB .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2012, 04:32 AM   #10
MikeGunz

I think cheaper than dirt is trying to sell some guns, I wouldnt be to worried about it.
Old November 4, 2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Metal god

Quote:
A gun seller stirring the hysteria pot..... imagine that.
Quote:
I think cheaper than dirt is trying to sell some guns, I wouldnt be to worried about it.
I think you all may have a good point . We have it hard enough . Now we got players on are own team playing dirty . I will think twice before ordering anything from CTD .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 4, 2012, 05:09 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank327 I think Cheaper Than Dirt is just trying to stir up the same type of hysteria that occurred four years ago. Remember how prices of almost anything firearms related shot up through the roof with Obama's election and fears that he would impose another AWB and other gun control laws?

[B
Cheaper Than Dirt was one of the worst price gougers during that frenzy[/B]. They wouldn't want to see a repeat of four years ago and attempt to kick start it would they? Naw, I don't think so...
hank327 is offline Report Post
Plus one million!

Here's a screen shot from CDT the day after the last Pres election.

Old November 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Eghad

I know some folks that will not buy from CTD for that reason.

NRA Life Member
Old November 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #14
jjyergler

Whatever the motivation...

it helps that he admitted he wanted to reinstate the AWB in the debate.
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old November 4, 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Departed402

It's a possibility, and while Obama wouldn't have to worry about getting another term in office, Democrats in Congress would! Dems didn't fare well following the '94 ban, and I doubt they have forgotten that. Plus studies show the public's opinion of firearms is more favorable that is was 20 years ago. I'm not too worried about a big ban. I'm more worried about little restrictions creeping up on us.

With all of that said, I'm slightly hypocritical as I ordered an "assault weapon" and plan on buying "high capacity" magazines, with part of the reason being a potential ban.

p.s. I cannot believe this thread has not been locked as a drive-by thread.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Beretta686

I'm glad to see that once President Obama is reelected on Tuesday our Tin Foil industry will thrive for another four years of Fox News fueled paranoid nonsense. Plus I can sell my EBRs to idiots at the Gunshow for a massive profit as they're whipped into hysteria by the internet.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 4, 2012, 12:02 PM   #17
bbqbob51

Don't be our own worst enemies

Another AWB is highly unlikely. Remember that even if the president wants something like that it still wouldn't become law without the cooperation of congress and this kind of legislation is toxic to both sides of the aisle. The Dems remember how they got beat up for it and won't go for it again. There is probably no more than 30 or 40 members of both the House of Representatives and the Senate that are actually rabid anti-gun. They may propose legislation but it would not pass.
The biggest problem is us going out and clearing the shelves at gun shops like we did in 2008-2009. We drove up the prices and then absolutely nothing happened.Presently there are more guns and ammo available and in bigger variety that ever.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #18
UtopiaTexasG19

Anyone who has been really worried about another ban has had years to save up funds and buy almost anything they need for almost a lifetime. Why folks get all worked up right before the election, like this is something new, baffles me. If you don't have all the semi's, large capacity mags, ammo or ammo componants by now you've been living in a closet. There has been plenty of time to plan ahead. When a Hurricane looms on the horizon only the foolish wait until the day after the storm to look for water, gasoline and food.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:25 PM   #19
scottd913

weapon bans come and go
elections come and go
the biggest fears are overlooked by the mind numbing brain washing of pun-dents preying on our fears and our belief structures. all brought by large greedy corporations who are by the way equal to you and me in the rights department. follow the money folks. the prices of our sport/ hobby's are increasingly blown up because of this fact. they love it when we argue with each other about Dem's or Reps and when the dust settles the winner is in the greed corners. and we are left scratching our heads.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Politics. Panic on Wednesday. I hear the zombies are also rising then.

Closed.