The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 24, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1
readyme

Duracoat your shotgun?

I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum that came parkerized, but has seen better days. I would like to simply have it done in simple black Duracoat.
Does anybody have experience either doing it themselves or having it sent out?
I am in Seattle Washington if anybody has any recomendations of places to send it.

Thanks
Old June 25, 2007, 01:17 PM   #2
ShipWreck

This guy supposedly does a good job - someone I know sent his PS90 out to him and should be getting it back soon.

http://www.hardcorpsweaponry.com/
Old June 25, 2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Creature

Check out Mac's Shootin' Irons. They did an old snubby for me. Awesome job.
Old June 25, 2007, 02:11 PM   #4
dyoun06

GunKote

Unless you have all the equipment (cleaning supplies, compressor, sprayer, etc.) it is not worth doing yourself in my opinion for just one gun. I have done this and prefer GunKote although you do have to bake it versus the duracoat. The one coat ceramic coating works extremely well as long as you prep right, apply it correctly, and bake it right.

Look in the local yellow pages for a metal coating company. I got a Houston Company that does a lot of Oil Company work to put a REALLY nice Xylon (next generation teflon) coating on a Beretta 96 Centurion very reasonable. They normally do not do guns and I had to strip it and put it back together... but I love the finish. These guys do metal coating for everything and knew what they were doing.

Last edited by dyoun06; June 25, 2007 at 02:13 PM. Reason: left out something
Old June 25, 2007, 10:20 PM   #5
readyme

dyone06
did they coat the inside and outside...all metal surfaces? It would be easy to have some metal finishing company in the area do it...but I worry about tolorances and fit. What do you think?
Old June 28, 2007, 03:40 PM   #6
workinwifdakids

Duracoat

This stuff is so thin on application that it's been used to tighten the tolerances where necessary. It's good stuff, but a PITA to apply.
Old June 28, 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
dyoun06

Quote:
did they coat the inside and outside...all metal surfaces?
Since it was a semi auto I was able to remove the barrel before the coating. They will obviously plug your shotgun barrel. They did all the internals and actually made the gun tighter than new. They also gold plated the hammer, trigger, and lanyard. I put some first Cav faux pearl grips on it and it looks nice. Been about 4 years and not a hint of rust or wear.

The name of the company is IMFCO (Industrial Metal Finishing Company)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot 2007-06-28 15-52-56.jpg (194.8 KB, 193 views)
Old June 28, 2007, 07:07 PM   #8
readyme

Thanks for the info. I will look into local metal refinishing companies.
Another product I found is a Brownells spray on finish. Apparently similar to Duracoat but it comes in an aerosol can....it is called Aluma-Hyde II.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...il.aspx?p=1117

By the way, sweat looking 1st Cav grips...my father and grandfather were both in the 1st Cav.