The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1
rebs

reloading LC 5.56 brass

I bought some processed LC brass in 5.56 and I found some still had part of the primer crimp in them and had to be reamed. Some others the primer seated hard, some seated normal and some seated very easy. Does this sound like once fired brass or maybe a mix of once fired and some more than once fired ?
Old September 23, 2013, 06:58 PM   #2
Kimber84

reloading LC 5.56 brass

Depends on how systematic you were on reaming? I've strayed from reaming and now use a swaging tool, I feel they are much more uniform as compared to my reaming technique ( it was very primitive). I've noticed since I've begun using the RCBS swaging tool that primer seating pressure feels much more uniform.
Old September 24, 2013, 06:43 AM   #3
rebs

I am thinking you are right that it depends on how uniform the primer pockets were swagged or reamed. This is all LC 5.56 but different year stamp so I guess that figures into the equation also, unless you sorted by year and adjusted the swag for each year group, right ?
Old September 25, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
zcrenna

I had a big batch of LC brass. Supposed to have all been once fired. Which I believe it was.
Reamed the crimp by hand and had the exact same experience. It's all about uniformity
Old September 26, 2013, 12:01 AM   #5
snuffy

Reamed? How? With one of these;?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...ter-head-small

If you meant you were using a case mouth chamfer tool, it's very hard to be consistent with one of those. Some even use a pocket knife or a big drill bit. The above Hornady tool works great for getting rid of the primer crimp, AND it can't ream too deep.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 26, 2013, 04:04 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I always start with the primer pocket cleaner, not to clean, rather to check the size of the primer poclekt. If the cleaner will go it then no reaming is needed. If it does not fit then I use the manual Lyman small primer pocket reamer in a cordless screwdriver. It goes slow so I do not have to worry about over reaming.
Old September 26, 2013, 05:17 PM   #7
rebs

the ones I asked about were swagged with a dillon swagger. Maybe because its all LC but different year dates ?
Old September 26, 2013, 05:40 PM   #8
Marco Califo

I do not think the variance from year to year is an issue. Much more likely explanation is how uniformly they were processed: how much force was used. That is why I prefer to get LC from GIBrass.com which has a machine that does it (not the Dillion tool, which is a good one).
Old September 27, 2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Jimro

Even if you get processed brass from gibrass.com you'll still feel a variance in primer seating pressure. It is just the nature of buying once fired brass with mixed years and manufacturers. It is good brass though.

Jimro