The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 30, 2012, 02:06 PM   #101
PA Hunter37

Gotta go with Tombstone, entire OK Corral scene was done in one take with different camera angles. It may look like they are doing the "unlimited ammo" thing but that's not the case. Only took them a few seconds and it was a wrap.
Old August 30, 2012, 02:08 PM   #102
Ambishot

The Outlaw Josey Wales seems to top my list of western shootouts. Mostly for the gun handling. I do like the line from this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQt5WPQTwN0
Old August 30, 2012, 04:55 PM   #103
Black Powder

Open Range - Krajina strelcov /SVK/
3:10 to Yuma - Vlak 3:10 do Yumy /SVK/
Dances with wolves - Tanec s vlkmi /SVK/
Lemonade Joe - Limonádový Joe /CS=CZ+SVK/ - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWEnBttE38 - Trigger Whisky Saloon:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAQu...eature=related
Starr SA 1863 .44 org.,Whitney Navy .36 org.,Colt Lightning .44-40 org., Bozard & Co. Hammerless 12ga org.,Colt 12ga.org.,GEW 88,Tryon .45 DP,Sharps Carbine and Sporting .45 IAB,D.H.Hilliard .40,Barlow .40,Cub Dixie DeLux .32 DP,Colt 1861 Special Musket .58,Undehammer Billinghurst .40 &.451,Gallager .54,Hatfield .32 Carb.& Long DP,Shotgun Coach 12ga.DP, Tingle Pallmetto.36

Last edited by Black Powder; August 30, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:40 PM   #104
TallRay

Best Shootouts in westerns

[B]The bar in "Unforgiven"; "Open Range"; "Shane"; "the Wild Bunch" (the winner).
Old December 5, 2012, 05:00 PM   #105
Hardcase

I'm awfully partial to The Duke in True Grit, not because of any degree of realism, but because it was one of the last films that he did before age and illness started taking its toll on him. And, as I get older, I can certainly feel a certain sense of self righteousness when faced with a situation that I ought not to be in because I'm too old and fat

You ought to see my father in law when that movie is on TV. He knows the dialog by heart. And he'll sit in his recliner with his Winchester '92 across his lap and cheer Rooster on.

Also, I had a crush on Kim Darby when I was a young 'un.

But, you know, every other movie in this thread is a contender. You guys have good taste!
Old December 5, 2012, 05:45 PM   #106
DD4lifeusmc

Movie gunplay

All the movies you listed were good.
How about the Quigley down Under last fight scene.
Monte Walsh,
Broken Trail supposedly takes place in Wyoming and based on a true story. Guess the descendents still run the ranch. They act like they would of a 100 years ago. The walk the mannerism etc. I know because I remember my grandpa and great grandpa having the same mannerisms.
Have one more on Netflix, Can't remember the name Takes place in Tennessee
Hero was between rock and a hard spot on the run back home.
Donald Sutherland played the Marshall coming after him.
Course Dances with Wolves had a good skirmish in beginning between the blues and greys.
There's a bunch out there, but the alzheimer is setting in I think.
Have fun shooting!
EDIT: Just found the movie again : Dawn Rider"

Last edited by DD4lifeusmc; December 6, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 12:34 AM   #107
Captainkirk

Might not have been the best, but the one that sticks in my mind from being a kid was Jimmy Stewart in "Winchester '73" slinging lead around in the rocks with Dutch Henry at the end. Best ricochets of any western, anyway!
Old December 6, 2012, 07:16 PM   #108
brazosdave

I do like Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo's duel in "Tombstone", but "Unforgiven", when Gene Hackman takes a hole right through his heart and sunlight shines through is pretty awesome too. Then again, "Django" comes to mind. Hell, I like em all!
Old December 6, 2012, 10:37 PM   #109
OutlawJoseyWales

Dave, I could be wrong, (my wife would say yes) but the Gene Hackman film where he gets a hole shot through his "head" I think, is that nightmare "The quick and the dead." All star cast though, just used in a wierd way.

In Unforgiven, Gene's character is "little bill" and is shot with a Schofield by Clint Eastwood's character William money. Money throws a shotgun at him and then draws and fired on little bill, in a bar gunfight.

You know what would cool (and I know it can't be done) is to stage that William money gunfight and use correct blackpowder rounds. The smoke would be amazing. Especially after William Money shoots that ugly barkeep with a shotgun INSIDE. That one thing and nobody would be able to see anybody do anything.
Old December 7, 2012, 10:36 AM   #110
brazosdave

yup, your right, it was the quick and the dead. Sharon stone pops him through the chest, he sees sunlight coming through the hole, goes to fire at her, and she shoots him through the eye, which somehow causes him to do a double backflip, lol!
Old December 7, 2012, 02:03 PM   #111
alienbogey

I can't decide on which actual gunfight, so I'm going to go with the scene in Tombstone where Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp drives Billy Bob Thornton as Johnny Tyler out of The Oriental with no shots fired.

(From memory)

Johnny Tyler: You run your mouth kind of reckless for a man that don't go heeled.

Wyatt Earp: No need to go heeled to get the drop on a dub like you.

Johnny Tyler: Is that a fact?

Wyatt Earp: That's a fact.

Wyatt then slaps Johnny silly, and Johnny can't find the stones to draw.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:14 PM   #112
indy1919

Django at the Texas Theater

Way back on page 3 Firebird72 brought up the Spaghetti western DJANGO (Tale of a young man bent on revenge with a Gatling (really a volley gun) Gun concealed in a coffin he carries with him

On 12/21/12 The Texas theater, in Dallas Texas, will be playing DJANGO (The theater made infamous when Oswald hid inside after killing officer Tibbots)

So anyone who wants may be able to see this cinematic classic in a historic theater.. And you may want try setting in the third to last row fifth seat from the aisle, It may not be the exact same seat. But it is as close as you can get. But what ever is exactly the same through the fog of time...
Old December 12, 2012, 09:54 AM   #113
David13

I cannot say what is the best. I cannot say what I like the best. I can only say what is the most recent, and that was The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, which was on last night.
Maybe that's what I like, whatever's on.
Uberti supplied the guns for The Good ...
Plenty of miscellaneous shooting here and there, mortar fire, just about everything that could be needed. Oh yes, Gattling gun.
dc
Old December 12, 2012, 08:20 PM   #114
indy1919

The Good, Bad Ugly Does have an awesome gun display, So does for a "few dollars more" and "Fist full of dollars"

And you are right the Gatling gun display in GBU is fantastic, maybe not historically correct but what the hell
Old December 12, 2012, 10:26 PM   #115
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gatling guns were around during the Civil War. Union Army Major General Ben "The Beast" Butler (also called "spoons" for stealing silverware when he was in New Orleans) had one open up on some Corn-feds who were trading with the Union soldiers.

A New York newspaper had one and displayed it prominently during the 1863 draft riots. The rioters steered clear of the newspaper.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #116
indy1919

Well 4v50 I was not so much questioning rather the Gatling existed during the civil war as much as lamenting the Iconic Gatlings used in battle did not exist such as the Wonderful Tripod mount or the the one sporting that Broadwell drum.. All perfect iconic Gatling gun images that will take a few years to come to be..

But watch out believing that Gatling guns were used to defend the New York times during the 1863 Draft riots.. The only real "proof" that Henry Raymond & Leonard Jerome were manning Gatlings in defense of The Times comes from the Times editorials warning the rioters not to mess with them. (And it did seem to work).

There are just to many holes in the facts to accept this..

But then if its not true, you have to accept the most unbelievable part,that the New York Times editorials tells fibs.....

Last edited by indy1919; December 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #117
BlueTrain

This does not necessarily qualify as the best gunfight by any means but it sure was offbeat. It was a relatively recent movie that started out like a regular Western but turned into some kind of monster sci-fi movie. But the part at the beginning was good.

It started with a stagecoach arriving in town just before a hanging was about to take place. Just before the hanging was about to happen, a woman using a bolt action rifle, if memory serves, up in a bell tower starts shooting and the condemmed man makes his escape, rather like Hang 'em High. Then everyone runs off into the desert and things happen. But the opening was really interesting. Don't know what else happened.

So what was the movie?
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 16, 2012, 10:57 AM   #118
indy1919

Bluetrain.. Can you give any more clues here, an actor/actress????

Heck until the movie hits TCM I usually do not watch it
Old December 16, 2012, 01:37 PM   #119
4V50 Gary
Staff

Indy - you're right about the drum on the Gatlings. They were post-Civil War and the Civil War Gatlings used the stick magazines. I don't remember if they were on a tripod in the movie though.

I know the NY Times Gatling wasn't fired but it was supposed to have been prominently displayed. It's kind of like the SF Vigilantes. They posted their best marksmen on the rooftop to protect their HQ from being torched by arsonists. That alone deterred the threats from being carried out. I guess it's the Big Stick that never has to be swung.

BlueTrain - there was one American bolt action gun that was available during the Civil War. The Greene bolt action was made but never issued. Greene himself became a general during the war and was the defender of Culp's Hill at Gettysburg. A modest man, he never bragged about his accomplishment but National Park Service Historian Emeritus Ed Bearss remarked that Little Round Top and Culp's Hill were like two bookends. If either fell, the Union line would have collapsed. You'll see a statute of Greene on Culp's Hill when you visit it.
Old December 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #120
ChasingWhitetail91

Easily John Wayne riding at four men in True Grit, second place is Jeff Bridges doing the same thing in the new True Grit.
Old December 17, 2012, 10:16 AM   #121
indy1919

Hey v450 the best shot of the Tripod Gatling Come right after the commanding officer is wounded and Tuco & Blondie promise to blow the bridge.. Both wait to hijack a stretcher... That is the point in the movie you see the tripod gatling with a Broadwell drum no less.. In a few other panning shots of the trenches you will see that drummed gatling again and if you look close you will see its on a tripod also.. (I am sure the same one)

Give me a bit to get home, I have my timeline notes on the creation of the Gatling gun But at the time of the riots there may have been only 1 Gatling gun in the world (the test one).. At the time when the New York Times is claiming 3..

The Trouble with the early years of the Gatling gun, Its like Tracking what gun Custer took with him to the Little Big Horn. There are no real in the time Notes or diaries with exact dates that document who had what when.. You have look at shadows and do a bit of guessing...