The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2012, 07:14 PM   #26
Gary Slider

I did find somethings but nothing I can confirm. this is what I am going to put on the Ohio Page under State Emergency Powers:

3761.16 Areas Threatened By Riot May Be Cordoned Off.
The chief administrative officer of a political subdivision with police powers, when engaged in suppressing a riot or when there is a clear and present danger of a riot, may cordon off any area or areas threatened by the riot and prohibit persons from entering the cordoned off area or areas except when carrying on necessary and legitimate pursuits and may prohibit the sale, offering for sale, dispensing, or transportation of firearms or other dangerous weapons, ammunition, dynamite, or other dangerous explosives in, to, or from the cordoned off areas. Effective Date: 07-01-1996

Note: Federal Law can apply if the state is receiving monetary and/or other assistance from the Federal Government. See US Code 42-5207 for Federal Law as it applies to States of Emergencies. The state quoted code may also not be all of the law on Emergency Powers held by the state. You should read the entire code on Emergency Powers etc for this state by following the link to the state code.

Note: Ohio also has an Emergency Management System set up. It can be found in the Ohio Statutes 5502.21 thru 5502.51. These statutes do not go into any detail on the rules to govern such an Emergency. The Director of Public Safety is charged with setting up the rules on handling any Emergencies that tax local and state resources. Handgunlaw.us did read where those rules would be made available at a disaster site. What those rules contain Handgulaw.us does not know and an online copy cannot be found.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:04 PM   #27
shortwave

I had found most of whats been posted for Ohio and even looked in a site discussing our local branch of Homeland Security.

Just haven't found anything really defining laws pertaining to individual gun rights in Ohio during a declared 'State of Emergency/Disaster'.

Thanks Gary for your time/efforts into what you're doing.
Old August 28, 2012, 03:04 PM   #28
GR8GLOCKS

New Jersey

Came across this reference to emergency powers in NJ. Only talks about sales and securing/transporting a dealers inventory to secure them.

N.J.A.C. 13:54-6.7 Regulations during a civil disturbance or declared emergency period.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearm...itle13ch54.pdf
Old August 28, 2012, 03:21 PM   #29
aarondhgraham

Oklahoma Senate Bill 1760,,,

Quote:
Senate Bill 1760 amends the Oklahoma Riot Control and Prevention Act to state that “neither the governor nor any official of a municipal or state entity shall prohibit or suspend the sale, ownership, possession, transportation, carrying, transfer and storage of firearms, ammunition and ammunition accessories during a declared state of emergency that are otherwise legal under state law.” The bill would apply to situations where a state of emergency has been declared to deal with a public disorder, disaster, or riot.
My Legal Google-Fu is not strong,,,
I know this passed early votes but I'll be danged if I can find if it is now law.

I think it passed and goes into effect on November 1st,,,
But I am not certain so don't take my word for it.

EDIT: I think I found it.

Quote:
On Wednesday, May 16, Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin signed into law Senate Bill 1760, the Emergency Powers legislation.

Senate Bill 1760, authored by state Senator Anthony Sykes (R-24) and state Representative T.W. Shannon (R-62), passed with overwhelming support in both chambers. As previously reported, this “Emergency Powers” bill is necessary to fill the current gap in the language of the state riot control statute to prevent the banning of ownership, possession or transportation of firearms and ammunition during declared states of emergency. This legislation will go into effect on November 1, 2012.
Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 28, 2012, 07:46 PM   #30
Gary Slider

GR8GLOCKS,

Thank you. That will show up Friday on the NJ Page.

aarondhgraham, Thank you. but I already have the New OK Law. But thank you both again. Every bit of info helps me. Much appreciated.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.