The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 19, 2002, 03:24 PM   #1
Futo Inu

Going to participate in IPSC shoot this Saturday

First compet. of any kind, really. Actually, it's only a "newbie intro to IPSC" kind of thing, but should be fun, without all the formality of an ordinary competition. I'll let you know how it goes. Any advice is appreciated. Only worry is that I'll not have enough mags.
Old June 19, 2002, 04:10 PM   #2
Jeeper

Make sure that you have enough mags. Normally I carry 3 extra mags plus the one in the gun. Take your time and try to shoot clean. Your speed will increase with time. If you hit more than 95% of the A-zones you are going to slow. If you hit less than 75 percent then you are going to fast. This is not by any means an exact rule or anything. Just a little newbie advice. If you are looking for a lot of tips and tricks try www.brianenos.com. Then go to his forum sections. There are 3 forums just for newbie questions. If you read abunch from his site you will be way ahead of the game. Non match practice is the key to getting better. Have fun and good luck.
Old June 19, 2002, 09:00 PM   #3
mattjoe

good to see another person getting into the ipsc/USPSA style shooting around here (Seems dominated by idpa shooters).
Just have fun, and listen to the people instructing you. Get your hits. Dont ever worry about going as fast as the people who have been doing this for years, go your own speed.
Old June 20, 2002, 07:48 AM   #4
kbear38S

Find the match director, better yet contact him a few days before the match, and ask him if there's an experienced competitor he can hook you up with to mentor you through your first match.
Old June 22, 2002, 07:26 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

SIGHT ALIGNMENT TRIGGER CONTROL

re: Mike Plaxco

"1) Accuracy takes precedence over speed.

2) The sights dictate the cadence of fire.

3) Learn to recognize what is an acceptable sight picture for the shot required.

4) If the sight picture is not acceptable, do not break the shot."

Man, that's some perfect advice.