The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2014, 06:30 PM   #1
cole k

LGS wouldn't buy a Sig P220 Compact w/ laser sight under barrel

This LGS is the largest in my area.
He said they way to many stock and it would 3+ years to sale what they had.

I need a price check.

I would also like to KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE P220 Compact!!!
Old September 18, 2014, 10:07 PM   #2
guruatbol

Hard to understand what you are saying.

Did you mean, "He said they had way too many in stock and it would take 3+ years to sell what they had."?

Mel
Old September 18, 2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Snyper

Quote:
I need a price check.
70% of the selling price of a new one, IF it's in great condition
Old September 18, 2014, 10:45 PM   #4
RsqVet

Sounds like a polite no thanks. They may or may not want that model with whatever features you added or they may have read something about you indicating that you might not like their offer but they did not want to offend.

I assume the laser is a drop in part? Many shops do not like mods that require modifications to the gun. As many buyers do not like them...

FYI few add ons significanly increase a used gun's value. Sure a rifle with a scope is going to have a combined value of the 2 but don't expect to get the money out of every little modification and bolt on the gun has.

Either way move on, sometimes smaller shops are way better for used buy / sell than larger.
Old September 19, 2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Uncle Malice

Sell local classifieds. You'll do better. The 220 compact is not very popular. You should expect about $550 for it in private sale. Selling to a shop, I would be very surprised if you got $400 for it.
Old September 19, 2014, 07:36 AM   #6
UncleEd

I believe Sig in an attempt to boost sagging sales made deals with retailers.
Now those retailers have an abundance of Sigs.
Old September 19, 2014, 07:46 AM   #7
Robk

If what you are getting at tis that you wish to sell your SIG to them and they refused due to excess inventory of SIGs, well I get it. Be assured that there is nothing wrong with your P220 ccompact. It just takes the right person to buy a SIG. They are not the fastest moving items due to their price point. So if your LGS got a real good deal on some and stocked up, well that's their problem and not yours. Best way to check prices would to be to see what is selling on GUNBROKER or GUNSAMERICA. You may also want to look for a venue with a more specific interest in SIGs, perhaps SIGFORUM. And selling to any gun shop usually brings an offer of half of what it is worth, that's how they make their money. Private sale will garner you the most for your item.
Old September 19, 2014, 08:09 AM   #8
9x19

Sales are not brisk right now, and there are lots of guns on the shelves at all points of distribution.

Sell it yourself on-line... you'll get more and it's a painless process.
Old September 19, 2014, 10:07 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unfortunately, some folks need a reality check on selling guns, especially to dealers.

1. The profit on a given new gun depends a bit on the maker, but NO SANE DEALER is going to buy your used gun for more than he would pay for a new one or equivalent wholesale.

2. Unless you do a trade, NO DEALER will buy a used gun for what he can sell it for; he has to make a profit, so the seller will be lucky to get 50% of the "market value" as seen in auction sales and gun value books.

3. If you do a trade, your new purchase has to have enough markup to cover a break-even or a loss on the trade-in. Except in rare cases, you will get less/no discount if you do a trade. Better to sell the old gun directly (if you can), then use the cash to buy the new one.

4. There is a cost to just having guns sit in a showcase. Inventory does cost money, one way or another, so it is to a dealer's advantage to turn over his inventory as fast as he can. A gun in a showcase for three years is not helping feed his family.

5. Some day, your Ruger 101 or S&W Model 642 may be a high dollar collector item. Today, it is a used gun, and it is not going to sell for its new retail price.

6. No matter what you see on Pawn Stars, few dealers will dicker. They know the market better than you do, and aren't about to "split the difference" on that old IJ breaktop if you start out asking $2500.

7. There are some guns a dealer won't buy, and won't take on trade unless the new gun markup is enough that he can toss the old gun. He won't take in guns like RG-10's or old junkers because he can't sell them without a guarantee and those guns can't be repaired.

8. Guns like old IJ or H&R breaktops and old "no name" solid frames have a small collector interest but only if in near new condition. Peeling nickel, rusted finish, corroded bores and missing parts bring value down to nothing, as in nada, as in zilch. They are not worth the cost of writing them in the dealer's book.

9. Your trade-in might be in perfect condition (or so you say), but the dealer has to allow for the ones that have been tampered with, broken, or worn out, and his offer will reflect that.

Jim
Old September 19, 2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Skans

If you're selling it for a good price, list it for sale in this forum. Either way, you'll know quick enough whether you are offering it at a "good deal" price, or just a ho-hum-I-can-get-that-deal-anywhere price.
Old September 19, 2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
2. Unless you do a trade, NO DEALER will buy a used gun for what he can sell it for; he has to make a profit, so the seller will be lucky to get 50% of the "market value" as seen in auction sales and gun value books.
People often forget this when trying to sell at gun shops, pawn shops, etc. The real bottom line there is that selling to a retailer is NOT the way to make the most money. It may be the way to unload your gun the fastest through a controlled and paperwork-laden process...assuming the dealer even wants what you are selling.

Aside from just adding my commentary, I pretty much agree with all 9 points being made.

By and large, a lot of the points apply to trying to sell anything to a retailer.
Old September 19, 2014, 03:53 PM   #12
WVsig

Never sell a gun to a store. As others have mentioned unless you are trading in where the buyer will get to double dip on the profit. Making money off the gun he is selling you and the gun he is buying from you you will never get better than 60% of what you can sell it yourself.

You have to understand they are trading you cash in hand for the potential to make a profit sometime down the road. It might be tomorrow it might be 2 years from now.

The Sig P220 compact never sold well. The original compact version of the P220 the P245 also did not sell well. The OP did not state what configuration the gun is. Unfortunately with Sig these days they make 20 different variations of every gun. Sometimes you end up on the wrong side of market demand and have one of the less popular models. IIRC CDNN was blowing out P220 compact SAOs at a really low, below dealer cost, because Sig had to find a way to move the metal.

Anyway to the OP if the gun is in LNIB condition and is reliable then take a few pics post it here and see if it sells. The classifieds here are pretty solid. Things that are priced properly sell. Things that are priced at a steal are gone in days if not hours. Things that are list too high stay forever... LOL

Good luck hope it works out for you.
Old September 19, 2014, 05:43 PM   #13
Rthiel

You know what grinds my gears?

When somebody buys a gun, shoots it 10 times and then tries to sell it as new, including the new price tag. Sorry buddy, the minute that thing crossed the GS threshold, it is used.

When somebody hangs $400 worth of Magpul swag on a $500 S&W M&P15 then tries to sell it for $1000.

When somebody tries to pass off a gun as rare, therefore REALLY desirable.
Not saying this is the case with the original poster, his problem is similar to trying to sell a used AR in today's market.

Last edited by Tom Servo; September 22, 2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Language
Old September 19, 2014, 06:42 PM   #14
rock185

+1 Rthiel. See that stuff all the time. Especially that trying to sell used guns as NIB. Once sold at retail/crossing that GS threshold as you say, it is no longer NIB just because the buyer claims he has not shot it......
Old September 19, 2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Dragline45

I agree with what others said, if selling directly to a shop, take the price the gun would sell for used, cut it in half, and that's what the dealer will give you most of the time. Consignment is always a better option if the shop offers it.
Old September 19, 2014, 08:18 PM   #16
TunnelRat

My closest lgs typically gives 80% for trade, 65% for cash. They sell an enormous volume so they worry less about guns sitting (though that's starting to change lately). I try and find places that allow consignment. Still gives me a buffer, both legally and physically, from the seller and let's me make a fair amount back. If you can find used guns to begin with all the better.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 22, 2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Skans

I simply don't understand why folks just don't sell their guns over the internet? You will get full value for them. Buyer pays for shipping and their own FFL fees. All you have to do is box it up and ship it!
Old September 22, 2014, 03:09 PM   #18
SpareMag

I was looking at a consignment CZ 75B which is on my list. Used, but lightly, LGS guy estimated one box thru it. Price was about $550, and the owner would only come down $10.

In short, a used gun being sold for new prices. Sadly, I walked, but havent regretted walking. When I get my CZ, it will have the new gun warranty.

As mentioned, on trade-ins, the LGS here gives 50% of expected retail.
Old September 22, 2014, 03:31 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

James hit a lot of salient points, and WVSig is correct on the oversupply of P220 compacts.

The problem is, the gun just isn't in demand, and that's going to affect price.