The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 01:57 AM   #1
jtyson

Should I sell/trade my 9mm Shield?

I was super excited to buy this thing. Spent 4 months looking for one. Now I have had it for about 8 months, and still have not fired a single round through it. I like how it feels in my hand, I like how it looks, I like the M&P line, but for some reason, I just don't know if I want to hang on to it. I miss the feel of steel in my hand. I've been eyeballing snub nosed S&W 357s and miss having one of those. A couple months back I had to sell my unfired LCR 357 too, and wish I never had, because that satiated my need for a wheel gun.

Honestly, I wish I made more money, because I always sell guns, then wish I hadn't down the line. If I had kept everything I have sold, I'd have a mighty fine collection now...damn being broke but wanting new things.

So I guess, I'm here for some opinions, a little guidance, and maybe an idea on how much a used but brand new 9mm shield is worth. Oh and I have a crossbreed mini tuck for it too. Never worn it personally, but I picked it up second hand from Crossbreed.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:03 AM   #2
JimmyR

Personally, I would not sell the gun unless you try it, and know you don't like it.

That said, I was the same with my Beretta PX4- I waited months until I had cash to buy it. Loved how it felt, but it just wasn't doing it for me as a carry peice. I ended up getting $350 trade value at my LGS towards a Rger Security Six (and that was only because he likes me).

I'm like you- I like the steel guns. My carry guns are a CZ-75 and a Bulgarian Makarov. I keep 357 Revolvers by the bed. I have a snubbby and a Beretta Tomat for back up/CC carry. If it has a magazine, it's a SA/DA weapon, and probably gonna be metal for quite a while.
Old August 24, 2013, 02:34 AM   #3
jtyson

I sold this gun for $350 about two years ago and I kick myself every single day. It was either that or my S&W 457 and I kept the 457. I ended up selling that too, but wish I would have just kept the 357. That is what I want to carry. Not this cheap plastic little thing. I want my sidearm to double as a bludgeon when I run out of ammo. Sure it is tough to conceal, but hell I'm a pretty big guy, I can do it. And honestly, I don't carry the Shield anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

The only reason I haven't shot the Shield is because I figure it will be worth more as an unfired gun. Essentially a brand new gun. I don't know how hard these are to get from you LGS now, but I can't imagine they are easy to come across in brand new condition, either used or new.

Old August 25, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
jtyson

I popped the Shield up on a local gun trading website and had a handful of people offer me cash, and one trade offer that I had to jump on. Never fired 686-6. I hate to get rid of guns, but I'm happy to add this one!

Old August 26, 2013, 07:00 AM   #5
1goodshot

I think you got a good deal, gun shop by me is selling shields for $379,
Old August 26, 2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Well done. Just a suggestion though, maybe shoot this before you trade it off.
Old August 26, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Madcap_Magician

Well geeze, you should at least shoot it first.
Old August 26, 2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Waspinator

Good trade in my opinion. Nothing wrong with the M&P Sheild, but I would trade one in a heartbeat for a 686 and never look back with any regrets.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #9
Sevens

Here's an idea...
10 months from now when that unfired 686-6 is still unfired and you are unsure what to do with it... use this same thread to ask for suggestions.

That'll keep all of this funny stuff here in one orderly place!
Old August 27, 2013, 01:51 AM   #10
jtyson

Yeah I know I know I should at least test it out before I dump it off. But hey, what can you do? Ammo panic being what it was, I didn't want to shoot anything at all. Still reluctant to be honest. Our shelves are pretty much empty of everything except 500 mag and 458 win mag. I have only gone shooting once this year. Kills me, but I can't bear to spend the ridiculous prices every LGS around me is gouging for ammunition.

I think I got a pretty good deal. Still can't find Shields here, but I wasn't able to find a short barrel 686 either. I did find a 686+ at sportsmans with the short nose and it was listed for $749. I paid $459 for my shield otd, so even if the regular 686 is only pulling $500 new, I'd say I traded up. Plus, the cool factor is much more present here!
Old August 27, 2013, 07:36 AM   #11
CajunBass

I bought one, fired a few round through it, and then sold it. I see no sense in keeping something I don't want. I didn't want it, so I sold it, and got something else. Haven't missed it one bit.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 27, 2013, 08:12 AM   #12
1DrnkMxR

I enjoy shooting my Shield9.......when I can find ammo
Old August 27, 2013, 08:30 AM   #13
pete2

If you aren't gonna shoot it what difference does it make what it is? I don't understand.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Jacobie

Same as Cajun, bought it, shot it, sold it. Still do not get what the hype is about.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
jimbob86

I miss every gun I've ever sold ..... won't do that again unless i really have to.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:19 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Honestly, I wish I made more money, because I always sell guns, then wish I hadn't down the line. If I had kept everything I have sold, I'd have a mighty fine collection now...damn being broke but wanting new things.

So I guess, I'm here for some opinions, a little guidance,
You don't need guidance, you need an intervention!

Read carefully below my friend, read carefully!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 28, 2013, 11:43 PM   #17
jtyson

Intervention probably would help, but not with my gun selling problem. Though honestly, I am going to try and stop getting rid of my guns. I'd like to increase my collection, but sometimes it is tough to pass up a good trade deal.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:00 AM   #18
jtyson

Thought I would necro my old thread to let everyone laugh. Bought another shield today! Ha! Not gonna get rid of this one. Still have the 686 too! Not getting rid of that either. Next on the list is an LCR in .357.
Old July 18, 2014, 02:24 AM   #19
mellow_c

jtyson,
You are nuts!
Good trade though! And congrats on your new AGAIN shield!

Did you ever shoot the LCR .357 before you sold it off?

If not... I would reconsider the idea all together. I shot one of the LCR's in 38 special loaded with +P... it was a handful, not bad, but eh... I don't think I would really care to carry OR shoot an LCR .357 much at all when other options are available. Dont get me wrong. I'll shoot anything and love it, but I think your money could be used to purchase something more gratifying.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:46 AM   #20
LockedBreech

Keep it, just save up.

Frankly, I wish I hadn't bought my Rock Island Armory GI 1911. I bought it because it was crazy cheap on Black Friday. It runs perfect but it doesn't really spark anything in me.

That said, I'm a believer in Cheapshooter's Rule. That's why I'm going to hang on to it. My dad, at various points in his life, owned a '57 Chevy and a Colt Anaconda when they were (relatively) plentiful and affordable, and he FEELS their absence when you talk about them, haha.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:19 PM   #21
jtyson

No I never did shoot the LCR before I sold it. That was less impulsive and more necessity. Had to come up with quick cash. I regret that more than trading off the shield.

I'm actually more of a wheel gun fan. I don't mind the snap of full magnum loads in short barrels. Granted I've never shot anything out of an ultra light revolver, but I imagine I could stand it. Honestly, I'd probably use it mostly with 38 rounds, just like to have the 357 in case the only ammo I have around me is for my 686.

I am looking forward to carrying the shield. Oh, and shooting it...Ha!
Old July 18, 2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Hook686

yes

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old July 19, 2014, 02:22 PM   #23
mellow_c

Ha! Enjoy buddy
Old July 19, 2014, 04:38 PM   #24
Captains1911

Why don't you shoot your guns?
Old July 19, 2014, 05:14 PM   #25
RC20

My question as well.

And I no longer see an ammo shortage and would think if we can get it up here it should be common elsewhere.

Powder is another story.