The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
Big Av

First gun purchase...

So as a first gun purchase, is it wrong to want to buy a CZ 75 Stainless, a S&W M&P, and a Ruger or Browning .22?

Oh so many choices...
Old February 4, 2011, 01:29 AM   #2
ghost556

CZP01 or M&P....either one is a winner
Old February 4, 2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Sixer

... and expect MANY different responses

Some people will tell you to go with a .22 for your first handgun. I personally don't subscribe to that, unless a .22 is what you really want.

Of your choices, you really can't go wrong with any of them. Although I don't own one, I would recommend the M&P. I've put in quite a bit of range time with a friends M&P and it's always been great.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 4, 2011, 02:25 AM   #4
DaleA

IMhO you should go with a .22 as your first gun. The two companies you mention, Ruger and Browning, both make excellent guns and I’d suggest that you shoot several of them and get the one YOU like the best.

I like the longer barrel, heavier guns because for me they are easier to shoot accurately and it’s way more fun shooting when you’re hitting your target.

Also, go out and price 500 rounds of .22 against 500 rounds of whatever else. You’ll shoot a lot more with the .22, the .22 will probably last you a lifetime and if you really get tired of it, there’s a ready market for you to sell it and ‘move up’ to a larger caliber.
Old February 4, 2011, 03:33 AM   #5
LockedBreech

I lean against the .22 as a first purchase. Not because the .22 is not a fantastic, cheap, and absolutely FUN round. It certainly is. Rather, because a gun is an expensive item to purchase, and it may be a while before you can purchase another.

That being the case, I think it is ideal that your first gun not only be fairly easy, cheap, and fun to shoot, but also functional as a self-defense weapon. I believe all people should be armed in their homes at a bare minimum, and out in the world when possible.

Though I advocate defensive calibers that start with .4 as a rule, I think the 9x19mm is really an ideal initial round. It is cheap (I envy 9 shooters when I buy my .40 rounds), quite easy to control, and available in some of the most venerable guns out there.

My recommendation based on what you like: Smith and Wesson M&P9c

My rationale: Extremely popular and reliable gun from an American manufacturer with a superb customer service reputation; Chambered in 9x19

My runner up: Glock 19

My rationale: Extremely popular and reliable gun. Generally considered a staple choice for both range use and concealed carry; Chambered in 9x19

I hope this was helpful. Best of luck choosing a firearm, and welcome to the community of responsible gun owners.