The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 15, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
UpandAtIt

After The Hunt - Deer Tails

Quoted from Fur-Fish-Game - June 2010

"The folks who buy squirrel and fox tails for Mepps Fishing Lures also BUY deer tails. Write to: Sheldons Inc, 626 Center Street, Antigo, WI 54409-2496. Ask for a purchase order before shipping as they only take so many tails each year. The bone must be left in and the tail salted so it does not rot."

I would also try Orvis, Cortland and Erie Dearie.
Old May 15, 2010, 05:39 PM   #2

If you know someone who ties their own flies or a fly fishing shop that ties their own......they might too.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:31 PM   #3
UpandAtIt

Real flyfishing shops are becoming few and far between (it all wained down when "A River Runs Through It" is now done and over) and most Yuppies have turned in their 1990's Orvis Jeep Cherokee's. They prob used some of the interior materials (seats, carpet, headliner etc) to make nasty synthetic flies when they Klunkered the vehicles.

There are still some real flyfishing shops in Montana and Colorado as well as Penns and I am sure other areas. Most of the large outfits have their flies made in Mex, Russia, China and Korea where the labor is cheap and they get their tails from deer, sabel and fox farms.... these are the Cabelas, Gander, Bass pros and Dicks.......this is true for ammo, guns and accessories as well sadly.

One tail can make about 150 flies unless they are deer hair cinched flies like large floating bugs then it goes down to about 40 flies per tail.

I tie my own, but I have enough supplies to last two lifetimes.

I just wanted to help some of those members here that hunt and in a hard fix due to unemployment or what ever debt to gain some cash from their and their fam/friends hunting/trapping efforts.