The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 24, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
glockopop

Should I load some more before I'm sure I'm doing it right?

I loaded my first 100 rounds of .45ACP with my Lee Hand Press with a Lee Carbide Speed Die and about 1/3 of them didn't feed well. I asked around and was told that I probably wasn't sizing them correctly. When I did it the first time, I had the die just touching the case. This time I made sure the die was snug against the case. I've loaded 50 rounds, and was going to test them today but didn't get the chance to. I removed the barrel and dropped the loaded rounds in and all but a few of them went right into the chamber perfectly. The previous 100 rounds didn't. I'd like to get ahead a little and make some more ammo, but part of me doesn't want to do that until I'm sure I'm doing it right, but I think that if they drop right into the chamber I should be OK. Should I load more and risk having to unload them or just do it and start using all the brass I've collected?
Old November 24, 2006, 01:27 AM   #2
cloudcroft

It may not be a case-resizing problem, but rather a crimp problem.

If you are resizing the case correctly (die is adjusted right) you may not be applying a proper taper-crimp.

I'd try the ones that DID drop into the barrel and see how they work. After all, it's not really a mission-critical issue, is it. I mean, it's not your carry ammo, just practice ammo.

So go ahead and shoot it up and be sure you have your resizing and taper crimp dies adjusted properly for the next batch of ammo.

-- John D.
Old November 24, 2006, 02:24 AM   #3
HiBC

your loads

Any chance there is a little shaved bullet metal on the case mouth? Very bad if there is.Creates an insufficient headspace problem..Pistol may fire almost,but not quite,completely locked.very bad for locking lugs.If that is the problem,try a touch more bell.Crimp die must remove all bell.There will be a spec(.470?) that is the ideal dia to taper crimp to.
As far as sizing,unless the die is worn out(not so farfetched if you run unclean brass thru) it is unlikely the cases will not be properly sized.If the die is set in the press per instructions.
Are the bullets going in square/straight?If they look a little tippy that is your problem.

An aside,you may know this,but if you get to shooting up the odd rounds,it is not advisable to drop them in the chamber and drop the slide.Round needs to feed up from the mag or you can damage your extractor.
Old November 24, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
CrustyFN

Check your OAL, it sounds like they might be a little long.
Rusty
Old November 24, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Mal H
Staff

To address your topic's question, "Should I load some more before I'm sure I'm doing it right?", in my opinion, (and it is only that - an opinion, you can do what you wish with your own reloading), No!

I feel you went way overboard with your first session when you loaded up 100 rounds right out of the gate. Why the rush? A good round number for your first experiments is 12 rounds - useful for both semiautos and revolvers. If those 12 are what you're aiming for, so to speak, then load up that box of 100. But, if you're like most of us, you'll find something you'd like to tweak (powder charge, OAL, crimp, etc.) and then you'll load up another 12 or so.

Loading up 100 or even 50 before you have what you want, or indeed, before you even know what you want is asking for some long periods swinging a pullet puller.
Old November 24, 2006, 07:09 PM   #6
CrustyFN

Quote:
Loading up 100 or even 50 before you have what you want, or indeed, before you even know what you want is asking for some long periods swinging a pullet puller.
Been there done that
Old November 24, 2006, 08:28 PM   #7
hodaka

Using your barrel as a check is a good idea. The ones that drop in all the way are probably sized and seated correctly. I would pull the ones that don't and resize/reseat. Good thing you're not using a Dillon, huh? I've loaded up a hundred "mistakes" before.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:57 PM   #8
glockopop

The load that I'm using is the recommended IDPA/practice load from Wilson, the manufacurer of my gun. The first time I loaded (before that first 100 rounds) I did 5 and they all worked. I shot the latest 50 rounds today, and the ones that dropped into the chamber OK fed with no issues. The only ones that didn't feed were the ones that didn't drop right in. There were 5 of them. I also made an effort to make sure the bullets were going into the case straight this time. I think I'll continue to experiment with crimp, sizing, etc. and just do the barrel test until they all start working. Thanks for all the info guys!