The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 6, 2005, 08:15 PM   #1
ScreamingEagle101

Reloading my 25-.06, questions

Ive been loading my rifle, 25-06, i have been loading 87 grain, but now am goinjg to 75 grain, i had to use some trial and error then but finally got it right. the 75 g is much shorter, can i just make it long, to the point it wont seat, and slowly make it smaller until it does seat without hesitation in the gun? will that work or is that dangerous? thats prett ymuch what i did with the 87 g. any input is appreciated, thnaks mike. \\

if there is a specific length that would be useful.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Usually you get a big pressure increase if you have the bullet far enough out to touch the lands of the rifling in the throat. If you seat it 0.01-0.03" deeper, the pressure is reduced. Unlike a pistol, you get an increase in breech face (the bolt in a rifle) thrust if you seat the bullet to touch the lands and use a powder charge intended for a bullet seated a little deeper.

That said, many bullets shoot more accurately if they are seated to touch the lands. You must reduce a standard powder charge at least 15% if you do this, then work the load up a little at a time, watching for pressure signs.

You might want to buy the Stoney Point bullet seating depth gauges. They will more quickly give you a good seating depth. If you are finding the short bullet cannot go to the same over-all length (OAL), without falling out, just accept a little bit shorter length. The only potential sacrifice may be accuracy, but as long as you work your loads up carefully you won't have a safety issue.

Nick
Old September 6, 2005, 10:08 PM   #3
ScreamingEagle101

thank you

Thanks nick, anymore user info would be useful. mike
Old September 7, 2005, 08:29 AM   #4
Zekewolf

Spend a few bucks on the Stoney Point tool with dummy case and comparator.