The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2007, 09:14 AM   #1
GuateShooter

Firing lead bullets with glock

People say you cant fire lead bullets in glock pistols, is it really true? What do you think?
Old October 18, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Rogueone

it's not that you "can't", but that because of the polygonal barrel, the lead misshapens as it travels down the barrel and leaves lead in those corners. so basically, you get a lot of lead build up fairly quickly from what I've read. Shooting lead bullets would lead to a lot of extra cleaning.

stick with jacketed, or possibly poly coated such as master blaster poly-m bullets if you are looking for reloading inexpensively.

the other option would be, if you ask because you make your own lead bullets, is to simply buy an aftermarket replacement barrel that is round instead of hexagonal shapded
Old October 18, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
GuateShooter

Thanks for your reply!!
Old October 18, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
CowTowner

That also goes for the Baby Eagles from IMI. The IWI versions (new) I have seen, no longer sport the hex barrel. Which means CZ & clones could fall into the category of "No Cast Ammo Here".
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 18, 2007, 02:39 PM   #5
N.M. Edmands

Put more than 80,000 rds through an older G22 with no problems.
I did clean it after every 1-200 rounds, but never found a serious build up.
Stainless brush for 10 or so passes and used a jag on patches W/ good results. Also used good quality bullets from Oregon Trail. Due to all the horror stories I kept a close eye out for problems. YMMV

"Some where something incredible is waiting to be known" -Carl Sagan
"It aint how good you shoot,it's how cool you look doing it." -Fred Sayre 1994
Old October 18, 2007, 07:07 PM   #6
katana8869

I did the same thing with my G22 way back in the 90's before anyone knew any better. I never fired more than a couple of hundred rounds at a time. Since I have always cleaned my guns after every range trip I never had a build up problem, but IIRC there really wasn't a whole lot to begin with.

I think the problem was really more centered on those who don't think they are supposed to clean their guns but once every year or so (whether they need to or not )
Old October 18, 2007, 07:34 PM   #7
azredhawk44

I used to shoot lead in mine.

I could only afford to feed it maybe 50-100 rounds per session (when I was shooting lead in autos), and it got cleaned every session. Scrub it good with a nylon/bronze brush and bore snake it out well, then patch until it's clean.

Part of it is the burn rate of the powder you use. Win231 = fast = more leading. AA#7 = slow = less leading.

Unique also worked well, but was especially dirty in comparison to those other two. Titegroup would probably shoot lead okay... might be a bit fast. Does fine for 44special in my redhawk, but that has a standard rifled bore and not prone to the glock problems.
Old October 18, 2007, 07:37 PM   #8
Joe the Redneck

I wouldn't shoot ANY reload in a Glock, let alone lead reloads.

Anytime you hear about something bad happening with a Glock, there is always a "reload" behind it.

To me, you are asking for trouble. Yes, many do it without a problem. You can do the same thing for skydiving. That doesn't mean it is a safe practice.

Why take a chance, it isn't worth a broken gun or worse.

Joe
Old October 19, 2007, 07:15 AM   #9
MADISON

LEAD in a Glock

LEAD in a Glock?
Don't even think about it!
Go with PLATED BULLETS. Remember that the smaller Glocks do not feed SWC bullets, that well.
Old October 19, 2007, 12:24 PM   #10
hodaka

Some of us owned Glocks before the internet and shot lead all the time. I never had a problem. I suspect more Glocks have problems because there are simply more Glocks. Either that or the internet makes Glocks blow up. I seldom shoot lead any more, due to accuracy more than any other reason.
Old October 19, 2007, 05:11 PM   #11
Alleykat

Quote:
I wouldn't shoot ANY reload in a Glock, let alone lead reloads.

Anytime you hear about something bad happening with a Glock, there is always a "reload" behind it.

To me, you are asking for trouble. Yes, many do it without a problem. You can do the same thing for skydiving. That doesn't mean it is a safe practice.

Why take a chance, it isn't worth a broken gun or worse.

Joe
Nothng wrong with shooting reloads through Glocks, Joe. I wouldn't shoot .40 reloads through Glocks, but don't know of any problems with other calibers. I shoot nothing but my reloads through my Glocks. Nothing unique about Glocks that causes them to fail when properly reloaded rounds are shot through them.
Old October 19, 2007, 07:30 PM   #12
otasan

I have been shooting lead bullets through my 2ndGen G17 since 1989. I cast my own 157gr LRN bullets from straight wheelweights and load them ahead of 2.6 gr of Hodgdon Tite Group. The bullet leaves the barrel at 830FPS, and it is more than enough to cycle the action. With Lee liquid alox lube, I can shoot more than 500 of these loads with very little leading. Accuracy at 50 feet is less than two inches.
Old October 19, 2007, 07:57 PM   #13
TEDDY

I believe it is the 40 cal glocks that had the problem.lineotype may be the answer
Old October 20, 2007, 12:01 AM   #14
Silentarmy

I have shot several thousand rounds of West coast Bullets" cast stuff thru my Glock 21 with little leading. I have more trouble with leading in my DW Pointman, which can take what seems like forever to get clean!
Every Glock kaboom does NOT have a reload behind it. My G27 KB was with a reload but it has not kept me from loading for it for another 9 yrs now since it happened. Back off your load a few tenths and quit your whining!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old October 20, 2007, 11:20 AM   #15
Crazy4nitro

I bet I have ran maybe several thousand of reloaded rounds bought from Cabelas. Yes I had Leading but it wasnt an Issue as I cleaned the gun after each range session of maybe 200 +/- rounds....I now reload my own Bullets and shoot Lead almost exclusively. I have a Lone wolf Barrel with Standard rifling that is suitable for lead Bullets. + I dont have to deal with the Unsupported Chamber issue and the Famous "Glock Bulge". I shoot pistol leagues with people who still use lead Bullets (100,000+) through the factory Barrel. (Master Blaster Bullets)

This is My personal exp. so YMMV.

'Nitro
Old October 21, 2007, 12:10 PM   #16
Rogueone

could someone please define this "unsupported" chamber issue? In my Gen 4 Glock, the chamber looks to be supported fully, evertything except the end of the case where the extractor needs to grab it is "in" the chamber. There is a small amount of wiggle when the bullet is in the chamber. Is that what you are referring to?

Crazy, you mention people in your league using master blaster bullets. I'm looking at those when I get into reloading in the coming months, and I'd like to point out they are no more "lead" bullets than any other CMJ or FMJ copper coated bullet (based on my understanding of the process from their site).

While the lead hasn't been coated with a different color coating such as copper, MB bullets have been coated with a clear Polymer that is the same thickness as the copper coatings, and serves the same purposes. So when shot, the "lead" never makes contact with the barrel, the polymer does. I had someone at a local shoot last weekend point out master blasters too me, so nice to know they are indeed catching on other places as well, that seems like a good sign
Old October 22, 2007, 12:34 AM   #17
totalloser

The "unsupported chamber" refers to the feed ramp. The back of the cartridge is not enclosed fully where the feed ramp is. Field strip your glock and drop a cartridge in it to see for youself.
I personally have had no problems with this (knock!) but I only have reloaded Raniers in .40 which take a light load like lead bullets. Haven't noticed it in my warm .357 sig loads either, though. Only have loaded my brass twice, though. Maybe I need to mic some of em.
I have seen net pictures with the bottom blown out of the brass in a perfect pattern of the feed ramp, however.
Old October 29, 2007, 03:06 PM   #18
GuateShooter

thanks everyone!!
Old November 3, 2007, 06:34 PM   #19
ahescock

Good luck with lead

I have shot 1000+ rounds of 180grain lead bullets through my 40 S&W Glock 22 with no problems. I clean my gun about every 200-300 rounds to avoid lead build-up. The barrel is dirtier than when I shoot Zero FMJ, but it is not much harder to clean.

I have been using Chey Cast bullets, which are about $108 per thousand, including shipping. This is less than half the price of the Zeros, which are now over $200/thousand. The lead bullets are not as accurate as the Zero bullets, but good enough for practice. The lead bullets are also a bit smokey when fired, but I don't notice it anymore.
Old November 4, 2007, 09:11 PM   #20
orionengnr

Quote:
In my Gen 4 Glock...
Gen 4? I am only aware of Gen 3. Did I miss something?
Old November 6, 2007, 10:15 AM   #21
Shooters Plus

We have shot many moly coated bullets in our Glocks with no problems but we bought some cheap insurance against it.

Aftermarket barrels

www.shootersplus.com
Guns for Sale! Glock, Colt, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, HK and many more! Wilson Combat 1911 parts and accessories
Old November 6, 2007, 10:33 AM   #22
kellyj00

I traded my glock for an XD and never looked back.