The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 1999, 02:14 PM   #1
Little-e

1. Does anyone have any experience with what a moly coated does on a target? I've read they are good for breaking in a barrel, extending barrel life, and can give you higher velocities. I'd like to know if they give you any advantages when they hit something.

2. I just bought some moly coated bullets (Hornady A-max) to load for my .308 and they appear to be ballistic tips. Are they true ballistic tips and will they function the same with the moly coating?

Thanks in advance.
Old June 19, 1999, 04:22 PM   #2
flatlander

LittleE: Don't know what kind of advantage you're talking about - the moly'd bullets I've shot prairie dogs and coyotes with did the same job as uncoated bullets. Ballistic Tip is the trademarked name that Nosler uses for their plastic tipped bullets. Hornady uses V-Max & A-Max, while Sierra uses BlitzKing. They're all direct take-offs from the old Remington Bronze Point hunting bullet. The only practical difference between moly'd and plain bullets is that moly'd bullets take more powder to reach the same velocity as uncoated bullets, and usually leave your bore cleaner and easier to clean after shooting.
Old June 19, 1999, 10:36 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Flatlander: I thought one of the main reasons for the moly-coat was to make the bullets "slicker" and give higher velocities for a given loading.

If I'm loading a standard bullet to max in my '06, I sure ain't adding more powder behind the same weight of bullet...

Sign me "Puzzled".
Old June 19, 1999, 11:06 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I do believe the flatlander is right. It's because coated bullets are slicker that they produce lower pressures for the same powder load. It's easier to push 'em along so the pressure levels don't get as high - lower pressure = lower velocity. It usually takes a small fraction of additional powder to get the pressure up to the uncoated bullet level, around 2% or so.
Old June 21, 1999, 11:40 PM   #5
bfoster

One further note: I am not alone in recording very slightly decreased ballistic coefficients associated with some bullets after moly coating. Both Mic MacPherson and Norma have also observed this phenomenon. Insofar as practical shooting is concerned, there isn't a signifigant difference at normal (hunting) ranges.