The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2012, 12:24 AM   #1
vimd

Beretta 92FS/Glock 17 Gen 4 not an OR choice

If you're struggling between choosing the Beretta 92FS or the Glock 17 Gen 4, get both. As a gun enthusiast and self-defense advocate, I encourage you to get both guns. Each gun has its strengths and weaknesses, but the differences are fun to explore. Don't get caught up in the trap of believing you have to choose one over the other.

My post is not meant to stir anybody up. There are plenty of other threads for doing that. I've just found the Beretta 92 FS and the Glock 17 to be great guns with contrasting architectures. If you have the choice, get both guns, enjoy, and stay safe.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:29 AM   #2
LockedBreech

I agree completely. Two very different guns, both very comfortable in my hand, which can deliver shots quickly, reliably, and accurately.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I'd hate to be pinned down and forced to count the number of times I've said "AND" instead of "OR".

My shooting "career" has been much more enjoyable for not having been limited to a particular brand or model of pistol.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:28 AM   #4
chrisintexas

Why not beretta 92 A1? why beretta 92 FS?
Old October 7, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Why not both?

If I were buying a new Beretta 92, I'd probably go with the A1 over the FS, but the differences aren't really dramatic.

The main things you get in the A1 vs. the FS are the integral recoil buffer, dovetailed front sight (making night sights easier/cheaper to install), captive recoil spring, the recontoured trigger guard and the accessory rail.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:47 PM   #6
TailGator

I agree that both the Glock and the Beretta are pistols worth owning, and some would say that a collection lacking either is incomplete. If a reader is not an enthusiast, however, but a person contemplating the purchase of a single pistol for home and range use, he or she should carefully consider the very different trigger systems of the two pistols. The triggers (and safeties) make them quite different.
Old October 7, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7
ShipWreck

I've owned 5 Glocks over the years - at different times. I have zero now, and have no plans for anymore.

Love me some Berettas, though

Old October 7, 2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Theohazard

JohnKSa:

I keep hearing about the new buffer and spring in the A1, but I field-stripped a 92A1 the other day and it had the exact same buffer and spring as the 92FS. Is it only different on the 96A1 or was I just dealing with an earlier version?
Old October 7, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Are you talking about an M9A1 or an 92A1? Look at Shipwreck's pictures for differences between the two--the easiest to see is the recontoured trigger guard. The M9A1 has the 92FS trigger guard with the flat front triggerguard while the 92A1 has a rounded triggerguard like the old, pre-92F Beretta pistols.

I'm not aware of any 92A1 pistols without the integral ergal recoil buffer, and no 92FS pistols have an integral recoil buffer of any type, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the recoil buffer in the pistol you stripped was the same as the recoil buffer in a 92FS.

As far as the recoil spring goes--I suppose someone could have changed out the captive recoil spring assembly for a standard 92FS/M9 type recoil spring guide and spring.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:44 AM   #10
fun2shoot

Buy a beretta 92fs. If there are problems you have with it write them down on a piece of paper and bring it with you to a gunsmith. Or watch instructional videos online to see what other people do to help them shoot it better. Or what they find they can do to make it more comftorable.
Old October 8, 2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Theohazard

JohnKSa:

I work at a gun shop and I broke down our 92FS and our 92A1 and they had the exact same recoil spring assembly. I have to admit, I was surprised.

Unfortunately, we no longer have any 92A1s in stock, so I can't check to make sure I wasn't somehow mistaken. But I vividly remember taking them both apart for the purpose of checking the differences.

Tomorrow at work I'll ask one of our gun gurus, I may be missing something here.
Old October 8, 2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Theohazard

Never mind. We actually do have one at work and I checked and it does have the captive recoil spring. Who knows why I thought I saw one that didn't. Maybe I had too much coffee that day.

Tags
92fs , beretta , glock 17