The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 30, 2009, 03:46 PM   #1
45Gunner

Baretta 92D

Bought a Baretta 92D a bunch of years ago to use on my boat. The boat is history and the gun has become a safe dweller. I was wondering if, with all the expertise that haunts this web site, if anyone knows if it can be converted from a DAO to a DA/SA weapon? The gun is chambered in 9mm and has high capacity magazines. And...if the answer is affirmative, does it make economic sense to do so? It has less than 50 rounds thru the pipe.
NRA Life Member
Old August 30, 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
VHinch

It is technically possible, you'd need a new sear, sear spring, sear pin, and hammer. The problem would be that you wouldn't have a safety/decocker, you'd have to manually lower the hammer. To add a safety/decocker, you'd need all the parts mentioned above plus an FS slide and decocking lever, by which point you might as well have just bought a new 92FS. Around here it's pretty easy to find LE trade in 92's around $300.

Minor point, but it's Beretta, not Baretta. The former is a 9mm firearm, the latter was a detective show from the mid 70's.
Old August 30, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
45Gunner

VHinch:
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!!! You are absolutely right. What was I thinking?

Hey, thanks for the info. I was afraid someone was going to tell me that. My Beretta is 99.9% (I took off the .01% because I fired a couple of rounds thru it before putting on the boat.) and I think it was a great gun for its purpose but in reality, it's time to trade or sell and move up.
NRA Life Member