The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 18, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1
JED1177

NAA .22 Magnum Derringer - 1 3/4 Barrel

Interested to hear about the accuracy and at what distance can be expected from these micro revolvers.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 19, 2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Targa

Don't expect more than 10yards out of it, with that said buy it for what it is. Its a well built little revolver that is a ton of fun to shoot ( I haven't shot the magnum just .22lr). For the price, the novelty (like any small derringer type of pistol) and the ability to throw it in your pocket in a pinch, its hard to beat.
I meant to add that in such a short barrel the only thing you are really gaining from the 22mag is limited availability, much higher cost, alot more noise and more muzzle flash. Not saying it won't be fun by any means, I am sure it will be a blast (no pun intended), just food for thought.

Last edited by Targa; May 19, 2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:45 AM   #3
Lohman446

For those times you don't want to carry a "real" gun these work very well. I have one (get both cylinders with it so you can shoot 22LR as well) and love to play with it on the range. If I was buying another I would get one of the ones with better sights though.

I had a possum issue for awhile at the house (we had ducks). The first one I shot with a Browning Buck Mark and was not impressed with performance (it wasn't a perfect hit). The second one I hit with a 22 Magnum from the NAA and I don't think it twitched on the way down. For what they are they are pretty solid and well made guns.
Old May 19, 2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Obambulate

Accuracy will be dependent on how well your hand fits the grip. The wooden birdseye grip is difficult for many to control. The boot grips or one of the rubber grips tend to work better, but will make the gun larger overall.

These minis are normally carried for close range self defense and they work well for that purpose. For plinking or longer range shooting the Black Widow has a longer barrel, larger grip and much better sights.
Old May 19, 2016, 04:27 PM   #5
ms6852

This handgun requires a lot of practice, but they are accurate. At 15 yds I was able to get the 5 shot the size of my close fist. Bullets do drop about 2 feet at that distance. I was aiming at the head and heating center mass just below the X. The 22 magnum was not so accurate, was only able to hit the 1 of 5 shots on target.
Old May 19, 2016, 04:59 PM   #6
Armybrat

Can't hit diddly with mine, but have rarely shot it since buying it new 30 years ago. Very nicely made little guns, but I put the boot grip on to control it better. Would like to have a Sidewinder, just because:

Old May 19, 2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Can't say my NAA Mini in 22 Short is accurate. The groups are fairly small, but quite low even at 10' let alone 10 yards. In fact, I haven't really tried checking accuracy much further than 10 feet.
But that doesn't dissuade my fun of shooting it. I think I just need a lot more practice with it to "adjust" my shooting in order to improve with it.
In fact, it is so much fun I plan on completing a set of 3, adding 22 Long Rifle, and 22 Magnum. But because I want my Minis to be Minis, only the standard, birdshead grip versions.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 19, 2016, 07:00 PM   #8
deerslayer303

The sidewinder is a neat little piece with its swing out cylinder. I've held them on numerous occasions and one day I want to pick one up. It's just something else always gets my money
Old May 19, 2016, 09:52 PM   #9
claydoctor

I have the Pug in .22 mag . I love it for its convenience but it is really a belly gun . As mentioned , if you plan to shoot at distances more than about 5 feet , you need to practice . Some suggest a two hand hold with the cylinder held between the thumb and forefinger of the weak hand . Be advised also that at least the magnums are ammunition sensitive . Winchester .22 magnums would cause mine to lock up after the first shot . They seem to function best with CCI .
Old May 19, 2016, 10:42 PM   #10
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Would like to have a Sidewinder, just because

Reason why I bought one off Gallery of Guns...

I'm not allowed to carry anything smaller than .380 (agency policy), so it won't be a carry gun. I think the little revolver is just a neat toy.

Get the convertible version, if you do. I have PLENTY of .22 LR. .22 Magnum is a pain to get. I'm in the process of getting 100 rounds of the Speer Gold Dot rounds designed for the NAA, and I was shocked when I found it.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:49 PM   #11
Dragonflydf

First off, it is not a derringer, it is a 5 shot revolver, that is very well made and makes a great pocket gun. I carry mine in the watch pocket of my jeans and no one notices it. I have carried mine every day for 5+ years and there is no sign of wear.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:22 PM   #12
RECTIFIER

It's close encounter gun..ie: within 6 ft or so,I carry mine frequently with a kydex neck holster.

.22 lr solids will do about the same penetration/damage as the magnum.

The mag is really loud too.

Old May 21, 2016, 09:09 PM   #13
Armybrat

My brother got the Sidewinder - it is a fine little tool

Old May 22, 2016, 10:10 AM   #14
Carmady

Here's a video of someone shooting "The Earl" with a 4" barrel by NAA. You can get it with both LR and Mag cylinders. He starts shooting around 2:00 into it, and fires from 10, 50, 80, and 100 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6DhH22DePU
Old May 25, 2016, 03:37 PM   #15
Paladin7

I have one and yes, you can hit targets at 100 yards with one.

Now, having said that, in a self defense situation, IMO, it's only worthwhile for contact to short distance shooting...
Old May 25, 2016, 04:39 PM   #16
NewportNewsMike

I have the 22 Mag with a 1 5/8 inch barrel.

Several folks have mentioned about how much the bullet drops.

I would describe the situation as the sights not being very well regulated or designed. If you hold the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight (i.e. a "normal" sight picture for most folks), the NAA revolver is going to shoot low, very low at any real diastance.

If you will modify your sight picture to where most, if not all, of the front sight is ABOVE the top of the rear sight, you can start to have POI = POA.

Once you get it figured out "how much of the front sight above the rear" is right for your gun / ammo combination, you can regularly place the bullet where you want it to be.

The NAA 22's are a blast to shoot and are better than a "stern" word if needed to protect yourself. It's a gun to carry when you cannot carry a "real" gun.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:25 AM   #17
tulsamal

The Mini Master with four inch barrel, adjustable sights, decent sized grips, and dual cylinders is my choice. And out of a four inch barrel, the Magnums are significantly better. Very noticeable on any reactive target.

I carry mine in the inside pocket of my 511 vest. Strictly a BUG. Does make a dandy little camp or fishing gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk