The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 11, 2016, 07:20 PM   #1
Stormson

Taylors or Ol' South?

So... My bank has seen fit to trust me with a credit card... Not what I would choose to hand such an unrepentant gun nut as myself, but hey, who am I to tell them their business??? LOL

Yeah.. seriously there ARE a lot better things I could use it on right now, BUT I have been wanting a Pietta snubby for some time now as part of an overall 1860 shooting "system"... IE: a 3", an 8" and the 12" barrels, along with a shoulder stock and standard grip for it. Making one gun for many situations.

Anyway, I see that some of the sites have them in, and Taylors SHOULD have had them in by now according to the woman I spoke to a couple weeks ago. The woman from a couple DAYS ago however said they are still waiting and put me on "the list" so I'll know when they come in.

As this will be a dedicated carry piece in this set up, the one I want is the semi fluted cylinder with checkered stocks. Taylors lists theirs http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/1860-...ps-pietta.html for $10 less then ol' south, but ol' south says they HAVE 11 of them IN STOCK http://www.oldsouthfirearms.com/Trad...eelFrameB.aspx

Sooo... My question is, does Taylors actually DO anything them, like cimarron does to their Uberis??? If so is it worth the wait, or should I just go ahead and pay the extra 10 and get it now? I was thinking taylors would be faster since they are in my state, but if its the very same gun with no extra tuning then maybe not...
Old May 11, 2016, 07:37 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

First of all, it is myth that Cimarron 'does anything' to their Uberti revolvers. A myth that has been around for a long time, and does not want to die, but a myth nonetheless. I had one Cimarron that had the worst trigger pull of any revolver I have ever owned, and to top it off the barrel was not screwed in correctly, so the front sight leaned over to one side. So much for the myth about Cimarron doing aftermarket tuning of their revolvers.

On the other hand, I can report that I have had excellent customer service from Taylors. Including custom fitting a conversion cylinder to my old, EuroArms 1858 Remington, FOR FREE! Yes, I had to buy the cylinder, but I shipped them the gun and their staff gunsmith custom fitted a conversion cylinder to it, for NO CHARGE! Then they shipped the gun and cylinder back to me, again FOR FREE!

Regarding does Taylors 'do anything to them'? I can only report that when I talked to the gunsmith there all those years ago, he said he opened up every box, worked every action, and if anything was not right he made it right. This was a long time ago, I cannot state for sure that Taylors still does that.

In book, Taylors' customer service is better than any other importer out there.

It's your money, do as you please.
Old May 11, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Stormson

And Howdy back and well met, Mr. Johnson.

Ok.. well, if its a myth about cimarron then yup, I was taken in by it! Cant really even recall where I heard that, but I'm certainly glad to hear from you before I started the process of (eventually) trading my Pietta Remingtons in for Ubertis.

That being said, yup, thats exactly what I heard about taylors customer service as well... Had not heard that about the smithy checking each one, but its exactly the kind of thing that would make waiting a bit longer a worthwhile endeavor to my way of thinking.

Thank you!
Old May 11, 2016, 10:23 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Keep calling. Taylors has to wait forever for the Italian makers to send parts. I waited a long time for my .45ACP cylinder, but Taylors fitted it gratis since I bought it from them.
BTW, OP since you are in VA, their open house is this Friday and Saturday up in Winchester. Everything in stock is 15% off, so if by some chance you get lucky, you can save some change.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:45 AM   #5
Stormson

Quote:
Keep calling. Taylors has to wait forever for the Italian makers to send parts. I waited a long time for my .45ACP cylinder, but Taylors fitted it gratis since I bought it from them.
BTW, OP since you are in VA, their open house is this Friday and Saturday up in Winchester. Everything in stock is 15% off, so if by some chance you get lucky, you can save some change.
Rock ON! Thank ya Poodleshooter!!

I will ABSOLUTELY be at least waiting until the weekend now.. I had no idea that was going on and I hope like hell I can catch the right gun, on the right day.

15% of $350 means A LOT to a broken up old river rat like me... I thank you for letting me know!

BTW... I see youre from the James river? I used to spend most of my days off on either the James in Scottesville or the Rivana between Charlottesville and Keswick. Hehe... Once... MANY years ago... I SWAM down Main Street in Scottesville, ALMOST all the way down to the Dew Drop. If youre south of there, well, its about a BLOCK up from the James... Hehe, you can imagine how THAT is flooded.

Of course I was young, and that was YEARS before they put in the flood gates... And YEARS before our beloved Nation, and Old Dominion, changed very so much.

If I tried that TODAY I'd probably get shot or imprisoned for "Attempted Freedom" or some such LOL!!!

Where do ya live on the James, if I can ask? I live in the mountains now... Bout an hour from ANYWHERE LOL... But MAN I miss Central VA...
Old May 12, 2016, 01:35 AM   #6
Stormson

Hey!

By the WAY!

I really SHOULD put in here that I HAVE dealt with Ol' South before.. And they where ABSOLUTELY TOPS all around when I did!!

Of ALL the places that I COULD get that snubby from, it pretty much boils down to TWO for me... Taylors that I have never dealt with but have heard the reputation... And Ol' South that I HAVE dealt with and trust IMPLICITLY for other things. I have some very INEXPENSIVE leather from those guys that I totally and completely RELY on... Low COST doesnt always mean low QUALITY.... They have reaffirmed that for me and I ABSOLUTELY WILL buy from those guys again without hesitation.

Its just that this is a MAJOR thing for me and it will be my LAST big purchase before getting my own land, so I am trying to be VERY careful... Hell.. If I could rely on a steady supply from Pietta, or I thought that NEXT years batch would meet the quality of THIS years (which is probably ALREADY lower then LAST years rave reviews), then I wouldnt be buying from either of them just yet..

That SAID... If Taylors isnt somewhat forthcoming with the goods, I have NO misgivings at ALL dealing with Ol' South who are so far UP there with my "go to" stores...

This question isnt ANY misgivings about ANYONE... LOL.. If Cabalas would pull their head out of wherever, I would have just waited for them to sell it for $229 with a free shipping code! LOL
Old May 12, 2016, 02:34 AM   #7
drobs

Stormson, will you add a conversion cylinder?
I see Kirst makes a 45colt conversion cylinder w/ loading gate for the 1860 Army now.
Old May 12, 2016, 08:42 AM   #8
Stormson

Quote:
Stormson, will you add a conversion cylinder?
I see Kirst makes a 45colt conversion cylinder w/ loading gate for the 1860 Army now.
Hello drobs! Thanks for answering...

Honestly? Maybe ONE day. At the moment though, cash (or credit) is a pretty important thing. I would LIKE to have one, one day, and the gated kirst seems to be the Rolls Royce of conversions... Truth is, I simply havent encountered a situation here in the eastern half of the U.S. that would justify that kind of outlay. If I needed the extra 'kick' then I could buy a used .357 ( that i already have ammo and brass for ) for not a whole lot more then an R&D and possibly LESS then one of the kirst gated models...

Lol.. Long winded way of saying 'maybe one day!'
Old May 12, 2016, 09:55 AM   #9
H.W. French

Balcony Falls!

I will concur with Driftwood that Cimarron does absolutely nothing to their stock (other than maybe check the serial) before sending it out. You can't go wrong with 'Ol South or Taylor's. Not sure how far SW you are but if I was back in Central VA I'd certainly consider a trip to Winchester to check out the merchandise first hand. I know Iron Gate to Snowden like the back of my hand .
Old May 12, 2016, 10:18 AM   #10
Stormson

Quote:
I will concur with Driftwood that Cimarron does absolutely nothing to their stock (other than maybe check the serial) before sending it out. You can't go wrong with 'Ol South or Taylor's. Not sure how far SW you are but if I was back in Central VA I'd certainly consider a trip to Winchester to check out the merchandise first hand. I know Iron Gate to Snowden like the back of my hand .
I agree, if I where back there I would do just that... These days though Im a LOT closer to the Cabelas in Bristol Tenn. (bout an hour north) then I am to either central or north Va. Winchester is a good hike from here... Charlotesville is over 4hrs on the 'autobahn' that they call interstate 81 lol. Not sure how far Winchester is, but its a ways...
Old May 12, 2016, 11:08 AM   #11
deerslayer303

That THANG would be the BEEZ KNEEZ with a conversion cylinder.
Walk tall and throw BIG ROCKS!! Let us know what you decide and of course some pics and range report when you get it.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Stormson

Quote:
That THANG would be the BEEZ KNEEZ with a conversion cylinder.
Walk tall and throw BIG ROCKS!! Let us know what you decide and of course some pics and range report when you get it.
Pics?? AbsoLUTLY! Range report will be VERY informal for now. Thats why this is my last big purchase for now... Gonna get me a place where I can actually build my OWN range... SO tired of never having anywhere to shoot!

And yup... I'll be bringing you guys along for that as well! May only be a pistol range, depending on what I can find and afford here in the mountains... But hopefully here in the next year or two i'll be able to do MUCH more serious range work.

Till then, I'll certainly share what little I can!
Old May 12, 2016, 11:50 AM   #13
deerslayer303

I feel ya! I'm a member of an outdoor shooting range. While a nice place to shoot, we are limited to punching holes in paper . Which I agree with the rule if not the place would be trashed. BUT still I want to shoot other stuff, steel, cans, milk jugs, etc. etc. I just bought another tract of land that came available next to me for a song. Now I have to get some dozer work done. I'm going to have him push the big trees, dirt, etc to form the back stop. It will only be 100 yards long which is plenty for me. I do shoot in the back yard sometimes, which there is no one behind me for a country mile, but still I want a back stop.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:03 PM   #14
noelf2

Hey Stormson build a range down there and don't forget to invite me to come shooting! I'm planning the same thing. Need land, and set up a pistol and rifle berms.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:44 PM   #15
Stormson

Quote:
Hey Stormson build a range down there and don't forget to invite me to come shooting! I'm planning the same thing. Need land, and set up a pistol and rifle berms.
Lol.. If it wasnt for the regs and old timers on here and other forums, I'd still be pouring the cylinders full and wondering why the .45acp jacketed hallow point projectiles wouldnt load and fire correctly!

Of COURSE you're welcome to come shoot with me when I gets her built!
Old May 13, 2016, 12:55 PM   #16
Trum4n1208

I highly recommend Taylor's. My wife and I stopped by there on our Shenandoah trip and the folks were very pleasant to chat with. I wasn't able to purchase, but they were happy to let me browse and handle the firearms. Very good folks and pleasant to deal with.
Old May 15, 2016, 05:52 PM   #17
North East Redneck

Taylor's has treated me very well. Their CS is outstanding.
Old May 15, 2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Stormson

Seems that anyone who has had ANY dealings with the bunch at Taylors is in TOTAL agreement here... Certainly makes waiting another week or so much more agreeable.

Does leave me wondering about Ol' South though??? Has no one had to try their Customer Service? I only had the chance to order from then once (holsters and such), and had zero problems, so never need it myself... I DID get an awesome deal and fast shipping, and was very happy with what I got.. Still, with the unanimous praise for Taylor's, it only makes good sense to give em a LITTLE while longer..

Hmm.. Wonder WHY Pietta would ship out faster to a seemingly upstanding company, but still fairly new, over one who has been around a LONG while, has a STUNNING reputation and obviously does QUITE a bit of moving the product for them??? Seems a bit backwards to me...

Anyway, thanks for all your opinions guys! I already thought a lot of taylors just from the various comments I had passed along the internet byways... To have so many, stats things so emphatically in one place has definitely hammered it home for me.

I'll absolutely give them until the end of the month anyway, unless all the stock starts to dry up really fast and it looks like I could loose out... Then.. eh.. Im GONNA have one.. THIS year.. so... Yeah. But I will certainly TRY to give em to the end of the month anyway LOL!