The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 12, 2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Sharkbite

Porcupine bait??

Anybody got a good bait to use to trap Porcupines?? Ive got a trap and need something delicious to bait it with.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2015, 04:28 PM   #2
Old Stony

I think I would try canned cat food. I have caught all manner of critters by just using a open can of it. Racoons, possum and armadillo all come running for fish flavored cat food. I just open a can and put it inside a live trap. Unfortunately skunks seem to like it too.....
Old May 12, 2015, 05:23 PM   #3
skizzums

cat food sure is some stinky stuff. I always hear of peanut butter for rodents.
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/profe...upinetrap.html
Quote:
One of the major problems for porcupines in the wild will be finding a good source of salt, so some people will often use a piece of bark or leather that has been soaked in a salt solution as the bait for the trap. The salt can also be combined with vegetable oil or pieces of carrot or turnip to make suitable bait.
that's about as specific as they get though
Old May 12, 2015, 05:25 PM   #4
Doyle

Porcupines love salt. They'll chew axe handles to get the salt left by your sweat. With that in mind, I'm thinking salted peanuts.
Old May 12, 2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Pahoo

Sardines

Quote:
Porcupines love salt.
That is true and here is mine and tastes better than cat food ....

Open up a can of sardines, eat them and place the empty can in the cage. Along with many a varmints, be prepared for a few Ditch-Tigers ....

Be merciful and;
Be Safe !!!
Old May 12, 2015, 07:32 PM   #6
CarJunkieLS1

For Armadillo's I will mow my grass and then water it immediately...makes the grubs and worms come up plus the ground is softer for them to dig. Then I wait and just pop them in the head with a .22

Also I had and heard of good luck using Little Debbie Honeybuns when trying to catch possums, raccoons, skunks, etc.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

Pretty sure porcupines are vegetarians, though cat food or sardines being as salty as they are might work anyway. I know one's eaten most of the cork handle on one of my fishing rods many years ago. Maybe just a small piece of rock salt or a chunk of salt lick?
Old May 13, 2015, 01:37 AM   #8
Gunplummer

I agree, use a chunk of a salt lick. It will keep most of the skunks out of the trap. Porkys are brutal on anything with salt. As said, they go after axe handles, canoe handles, cabin and outhouse door handles, and don't ever let your boots out on the porch. I think salt should be fine.
Old May 13, 2015, 08:51 AM   #9
zplinker

Having seen porkies all over horse trailers, eating any sweat/salt soaked leather they can find, I'd just soak an old boot in some salt water. And if you're down south a ways, you might want to sprinkle a little hot sauce on too...
Old May 13, 2015, 10:17 AM   #10
skizzums

Can porc smell salts?
Old May 13, 2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
Can porc smell salts?
They must smell something. Else how would they be attracted to so many human things that contain salt (handles, boots, etc.).
Old May 13, 2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Gunplummer

Deer smell minerals.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:45 AM   #13
buck460XVR

I'd try some dog meat. Seems my Bird dogs attract several porkies every year........
Old May 15, 2015, 07:03 PM   #14
rickyrick

Ok, why the heck would someone want to trap a porcupine?

What do they like to eat?

Most critters like corn and sweet things.

When I was trapping raccoons I would use marshmallows... Even though other meaty things would work...
The barn cats like fishy meaty things and cat food, of course. Skunks too.

Now about the corn... Lots of critters like corn, especially pigmy goats... Getting a full-grown pigmy goat out of a raccoon box trap is a chore. I could never tell, but it seemed like the goats weren't too bothered by being in a trap with corn lol.
Anyhow, marshmallows singled out raccoons and opossums
Old May 15, 2015, 07:14 PM   #15
Doyle

Quote:
The only reason I can think of is to relocate it so that your dogs aren't constantly getting tangled up with it.
Old May 15, 2015, 07:48 PM   #16
Sharkbite

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Quote:
Quote:
The only reason I can think of is to relocate it so that your dogs aren't constantly getting tangled up with it.
Ive got no problem killing the little critter, but i cant find him. So, trap him and deal with him at my leisure.
Old May 15, 2015, 08:05 PM   #17
Pahoo

Wise men talk !!!

I understand that Native Americans who had porcupines in their area, would never hunt them. They wanted to make sure that they would always be available when things got harder and they could harvest them with little effort or weapon. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 15, 2015, 09:04 PM   #18
Rbrt3474

I caught a porcupine in a coil spring trap once. Was trying to catch a coon eating my deer corn, didn't even know we had porcupines until he was in my trap! Had the trap baited with sardines, based on what others said it might've been the salt....
Old May 15, 2015, 09:26 PM   #19
Pahoo

Sardines work for me !!

Quote:
based on what others said it might've been the salt....
Ya can't eat a chunk of salt but if ya open up and eat a can of sardines, then put the empty can in the cage .....

Be Safe !!!
Old May 15, 2015, 09:46 PM   #20
rickyrick

Ok that makes sense lol
Old May 16, 2015, 11:12 AM   #21
buck460XVR

Porkies are vegetarians. Around here, their winter diet consists of conifer needles, buds and the bark of pines, hemlock, maples and birch. From Spring thru fall, they will eat shoots, succulent twigs, roots, seeds and fruit/vegetables (both wild and domestic). The reason they crave salt so much is because the Porkies need sodium to rid their bodies of high levels of potassium they get from eating leaves and bark. From my experience, porkies travel the same routes over and over and their dens and these trails are relatively easy to spot, especially in the winter time. They also have a distinctive habit of defecating in the same place, many times using the same hollow tree or stump for most of their lifetime. Their scat piles are very easy to identify. Finding these places would tend to lead to success, IMHO, more than the specific bait you use.
Old May 17, 2015, 08:35 AM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

FWIW: Porcupines are also found in the deserts of SW Texas. I've seen a few dead ones along US 90 between Del Rio and Marathon. We have the occasional, "My danged dog..." events in Terlingua.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:46 AM   #23
Gunplummer

I always thought armadillos were porcupines that went bald. Guess I was right.
Old May 17, 2015, 02:36 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

"...porcupines are vegetarians..." Worse than that. They're vegans. Salt is the thing. Just be sure you're live trapping. Killing porky is illegal in most places.
Old May 17, 2015, 06:49 PM   #25
Sharkbite

Quote:
"...porcupines are vegetarians..." Worse than that. They're vegans. Salt is the thing. Just be sure you're live trapping. Killing porky is illegal in most places.
Killing em is legal here, on your property, if they destroy real or pers property. Ive been out at dusk with my suppressed 22/45. No luck. Hoping he wanders into the trap and i can dispatch him then.