The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Nickel Plated

Lead non-rifled slugs in a rifled barrel.

So I was thinking of getting another barrel for my shotgun to turn it into a half decent rifle. I only shoot it at the range, no hunting or anything. Shooting clays is fun but I figured letting loose some stout slugs once in a while would be interesting too.

So I was thinking of my options for some relatively accurate cheap plinking ammo.

For accuracy obviously a rifled barrel would be a great start.
Now usually the choice of projectile for rifled barrels is sabot slugs, but those are pricey as hell. Fine if you just shoot 4 or 5 out hunting. But blasting through 50 or 100 in a range session ain't gonna happen.

Using lead rifled slugs in a rifled barrel is pointless I hear. The fins on the slug mean there's not enough contact area to engage the barrel's rifling so you don't get any spin. Just get leading in your rifling.

I was thinking of casting some plain smooth lead slugs with no fins. So it would act like just a regular lead rifle or pistol bullet, just bigger. Would have the surface area to grip the rifling for accuracy and still be way cheaper than a sabot slug.

Anyone try that? Any opinions. Want to do some big-bore rifle shooting and figured an extra barrel for my pump gun is cheaper than a 45-70 lever action and the setup to load for it. Though that's on my wish list too.
Old November 27, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Doyle

Rifled slugs don't really "spin" the way you think they do. More like "stabalized" like a badmitton shuttlecock. You can shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel but you're likely to get lead fouling so be prepared for lots of cleaning.
Old November 27, 2013, 03:41 PM   #3
zippy13

A few years ago, a member reported outstanding accuracy with home cast slugs (Lee mold) and a smooth barrel. I don't recall anyone commenting on a similar load in a rifled barrel. If you give it a try, please post your findings.
Old November 27, 2013, 05:43 PM   #4
g.willikers

It sounds like an experiment worth trying.
The hassle might be figuring out the actual diameter of the slug that works best.
What are you going to use for a mold?
Old November 27, 2013, 05:46 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Lyman makes a mold for 12 gauge that is used with standard shot cups. The Lyman shotgun manual has loading data for it.
Old November 28, 2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Rifled slugs don't really "spin" the way you think they do. More like "stabalized" like a badmitton shuttlecock. You can shoot rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel but you're likely to get lead fouling so be prepared for lots of cleaning.
I didn't think they do. That's why I dislike the term "rifled slug" because it doesn't actually do what rifling in a gun is supposed to do. And the leading is why I'm asking for alternatives to the rifled slug.

Quote:
The hassle might be figuring out the actual diameter of the slug that works best.
What are you going to use for a mold?
I guess measure the diameter of a sabot slug with the sabot and a rifled slug at it's widest point and use that as a place to start.

As for molds. Try some of the commercial non-rifled slug molds.
Lyman actually makes a mold for a foster slug with no rifling. Seems like that's just what I'm looking for
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=85

Or perhaps the one jaguarxk120 mentioned. That uses a standard shot cup as the sabot.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=86
Old November 28, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
g.willikers

Here's an interesting youtube page on home made slugs and molds:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ug%20mold&sm=1
Old November 28, 2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Nathan

IMO, the rifled slug in a rifled barrel are good to 75 yards.

The Lyman wad sabot slug to 100.

Real sabot slugs to 125 or so. This is with my 930 YMMV.