The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 18, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1
azsixshooter

Ghost Ring sights and vented rib barrel?

I have an 870 Express Magnum with a 21" vented rib barrel. I'm getting some Trijicon RE04 Ghost Ring sights and was concerned about having the front blade mounted on the vented rib.

It seems like the front blade would be higher than normal and reduce the range of elevation I could adjust across. Maybe it's not an issue, I'm not really sure how much I have to work with to begin with.

Any other concerns? I'm hoping that front blade while go on well and not look stupid on a vented rib barrel. If it's too much trouble I suppose I could try to trade the vented rib barrel for a regular barrel at a gun shop. Maybe go a little shorter, but overall I'm pretty happy with the 21"/RemChoke barrel I have now.

I believe the Trijicon Ghost Ring sights are actually made by Wilson Combat and Trijicon installs the lamps and resells.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old June 18, 2012, 12:59 AM   #2
azsixshooter

Seems like it will be a hassle without doing some machining of the front mount to square off the mounting base. I finally saw a closer image of the base of the front sight and, as expected, it's a rounded base to match the contour of a normal non-vented rib barrel. I don't think it would look good even if it was made to fit on the vented rib. Seems like cutting the front part of the vented rib off to make room for the front sight might look bad too.

I'll probably just replace the barrel. Remington OEM barrels aren't too expensive anyway.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html