The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
awaveritt

dhesive backed wheel weights

Scored a five gallon bucket of wheel weights (2/3 full) today. When I got it home and inspected, I discovered that much of it was in the form of adhesive backed lead squares stamped 1/4 ounce. My question is: how does this alloy compare with traditional wheel weights - hareder? softer? any difference. Should I just drop it in with the rest and pay no mind. Forgive me if this has been discussed in a previous thread I may have missed.
Old September 15, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2
CrustyFN

If they are lead then they are normally closer to pure lead. Most people will melt them separate. I throw a handfull into a full pot. My pot holds 100 pounds of lead so the stick-ons don't change the melt much. I have been saving them lately because I have aquired a bunch of pure lead and plan on melting them with that. If they aren't lead then you can scoop them out with the clips.

Rusty
Old September 15, 2009, 07:51 PM   #3
teeroux

They are softer.

I thow em in with a full pot of the clip style. Hardly makes a dent since they are so small.
Old September 15, 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I smelt mine by themselves. I cast for a couple guys that shoot BP and they need the softer alloy for their rifles. If a couple slip thru and get melted in with your clip-on WWs it is not going to change the overall hardness of your alloy ( technically it will, but the change in BHN will be negligible). I just make sure there are no clip-ons in with the stick-ons. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old September 16, 2009, 07:08 AM   #5
QBall45

I don't worry too much about em. By weight the stick on's make up such a small % of the overall weight of any given melt...I don't worry about it.

I'm casting for my 45acp. Target loads that might make 800 fps.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
GP100man

stik ons

the stik ons in my area run bhn 7-8 so alittle alloy is present but generally the BP guys will trade ya out of em if they know ya have em .

if i have a run of em i`ll ingotize em seperate & mix with some WW & try to end up with a alloy that runs 11-13 bhn .

if ya got soft lead you can always alloy it but harder to go softer with out alot of pure to dilute the alloys.