The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 30, 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
luvsasmith

Rusty shotguns

Working on 2 rusty (as in submerged for 3 days) shotguns. One is a Ted Williams 200 (Winchester 1200 from what I hear) and the other is a Remington 1100. Neither are in all that bad of shape cosmetically but I'd like to eliminate the rusty spots, including those in the scrolling-looks like they were never even wiped down with oil after the submersion. Where can I find the seals or o-rings I need to get them back into working condition. While taking the barrel off of the 1100 a rubber seal came out of the magazine lug (loop?) in a few pieces. I'm guessing that'll need replaced. Anyway, all thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Old December 1, 2008, 11:03 AM   #2
PetahW

The Sears/ted Williams/Winchester pump has an anodized alloy receiver, which shouldn't rust - but one that you're not gonna be able to re-anodize, either. If it doesn't clean up w/solvents, it can be painted.
After a light emory cloth rubdown of the mag tube & lubing, it should be good to go, unless you want to reblue/coldblue the barrel exterior.
The hardwood stock will refinish like most wood stocks, or can be painted or relaced.

The Remingtom gas seal can be purchased from the Remington Parts Dept or Numrich (I would use OEM), and the blued exterior surfaces either re or cold blued.
Remington uses an epoxy stock finish (RKW) that stretches when the wood gets wet & expands, then leaves "wrinkles" in it's surface after the wood dries out and shrinks back to it's normal size.
The only cures are to (1) live with the wrinkles, after putting stock finish inside every unsealed area (under recoil pad, inside throughbolt hole, all inletting, etc) , (2) completely remove the RKW finish and refinish, taking care to cover hidden areas as noted, or (3) replace the stock(s).

Old December 1, 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
luvsasmith

Thanks Pete

That was very helpful. Oddly enough, neither of these scatter guns have any problems with the stocks. No wrinkles, no warp, no bubbling. They have been dry for quite some time. I feel like I REALLY lucked out with the furniture on these two.
Old December 1, 2008, 09:09 PM   #4
B-Maxx

I think I found my new alias "Rusty Shotguns"
Old December 21, 2008, 02:11 AM   #5
luvsasmith

How you like that Katrina??!!!??!!?

After quite a few hours brushing shotgun parts with CLP and only spending $25.00 on new parts, both shotguns are proudly resting in my gun cabinet awaiting the right time to head to the range. We'll see about tomorrow.