The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 11, 2008, 04:55 AM   #1
AF_Reloader

3 choices left

I know, I know, yet ANOTHER IWB holster thread, but I've narrowed my choices down to three. I'm carrying a S&W M&P 9mm (standard), and I'm looking for your opinions (especially if you own a M&P 9 and one of these holsters!):

1. K&D Dakota Defender
Big fan of the leather. Also has a suede backing for comfort. Only two concerns are on how thick the backing is overall, and how comfortable this is going to be to wear in NorCal in the summer (100+ degrees). By far the best looking holster, even though no one is going to see it but me!

2. Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC
As stated on the site, Kydex isn't all that skin-friendly, but great for reholstering (which is the only concern I have with leather). The Kydex is very thin (.090"), which means a slim profile--I already have 1.2" of 9mm at my side. The Adjustable Cant is just awesome. Not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the Dakota, but this is for my concealed weapon.

3. Crossbreed Super-Tuck
A very simple design. Two guys I've talked to love their Super-Tucks, but I have one big problem with them--I don't like the open-ended holster. The other two are full-length, and I like that a lot. I might have just talked myself out of this one, but I'd like comments about them if you have one.

So if you have a 9mm and one of these three, or just one of these three with ANY handgun, I'd like to hear your opinion. I know personal size plays into this, but I guess I'd consider myself average (5'9" 184 lbs w/slight "whiskey handles"). I wanted to get this ordered while I'm over playing in the sand, so that it's waiting for me when I get home (or at least somewhere in the process). Thanks!

Frank

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old August 11, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2
sholling

I own the Comp-Tac Minotaur and like it a lot with my M&P9c. Not so much with my 45. That's a function of the longer barrel jabbing me and not a short coming of the holster. Delivery is usually only 2-3 weeks.
Old August 14, 2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Rapid1

I just got my new MTAC for my Kahr P9. it is awesome. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find anything that was comfortable. I am extremely happy with mine. it hides just as well as mexican carry on me, reholsters easily and is very comfortable against even bare skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Reloader
As stated on the site, Kydex isn't all that skin-friendly, but great for reholstering (which is the only concern I have with leather).
I am not sure what you mean about the kydex being skin friendly but no kydex touches my skin on mine. it is nicely sewn and shaped leather, not even the metal nuts are exposed. I have seen that on some other holsters with a similar design to the MTAC. anyway, here's mine:

I love it and highly recommend it to people having trouble with comfort in IWB carry.
Old August 15, 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
sholling

I just noticed that thing about kydex not being skin friendly and I'm not sure I agree. As stated above I love my MTAC and want another for a compact 1911 because the fore and aft belt loops keep it at my preferred cant without adding thickness. But they are still big. But my favorite holster for my little Kahr PM40 isn't the leather Milt Sparks VMII I had made for it, it's my inexpensive Kydex Custom Carry Concepts Quick Cover. It's smaller, adds no bulk, is easier on and off and sweat slime doesn't soak into kydex. I'm not sure it's a great choice for a full sized M&P but I'm getting one for my M&P9c.

Note: He's posted a notice that he will be closed Sept 7th through Oct 5th and may have a bit of a resulting backlog.

PS: Thank you for your service.
Old August 16, 2008, 08:26 PM   #5
mumbo719

I have not tried the other 2 mentioned but I love my Crossbreed. I believe the turn time on the Super Tuck is only 2 weeks.

Mark is also a stand up guy.

Good luck!
Old August 17, 2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Jermtheory

i use the RCS Phantom(not on the list i know) with a full size M&P-9...

if i wear it all day the Kydex can rub to the point of discomfort,but its not a major issue.

the leather/Kydex hybrid does interest me though.ive thought about mounting something to the Phantom for a similar result.