The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1
DennisD

Load data for .40 135grn copper coated

Just getting into reloading and none of the manuals I have so far give load data for a .40 135 grain copper coated (not jacketed but electroplated) bullet. I plan on starting with Accurate #5 (because I'm going to keep it simple by starting with one powder for .40S&W, .38spl, 9mm and .45acp) and will expand into other powders later. Rainier recommends using the data for lead but the Lee manual gives separate data for copper plated 9mm, .38spl and .45acp; it doesn't provide data for the 135grn plated however, just FMJ. Anyone have data for the .40 135grn plated?

NRA Life
Old May 16, 2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Trapper L

Try 7.2 grs AA5 under the 135 plated bullet and COL at 1.115. This load shoots under an inch at 25 yds out of most of my 40s and my Baby Eagle will shoot them in a hole if you can hold it that tight. Max load would 9.3 grs so this is a mild but deadly round.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:13 PM   #3
DennisD

Thanks Trapper, where did you manage to find that data? I've been looking and couldn't come up with anything. I was getting ready to buy a .40S&W specific manual hoping to find it there.

NRA Life
Old May 16, 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Trapper L

Dennis, if I was to put all of the loading manuals and data sheets from manufacturers in a pile, you couldn't get to the top of the heap with a ladder. I've got loading data for powders you've never heard of. I've got loading data on cartridges you've never heard of and some were experimental. If you shoot a lot of the Rainier type bullets, contact them for reloading data. They supplied data at one time and I assume they will furnish it on request.
I shoot a lot of AA5 in all of my autos from 9mm to 45 acp and all in between. It burns clean, meters exactly, and usually I end up with a loading density of 80% or better. I think it's the best pistol powder out there today.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:06 AM   #5
DennisD

I've sent an e-mail to Accurate loading tech but haven't gotten an answer yet. I'll also try Rainier. Their website just suggests using lead data but I would like to be more specific. I'll try your recommendations. Thanks again.

NRA Life