The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 11, 2013, 03:51 PM   #1
bikerbill

Revolver a good choice re hicap ban?

Anybody changed their mind recently about buying a semi with hicap mags in favor of a revolver? I just ordered an XDs, which will hold a max of 8 rds, but I'm thinking future purchases might lean towards revolvers -- unless of course DiFi decides they're assault weapons too ...
Old January 11, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
BarryLee

Well, while I understand your thinking I still would prefer a ten shot 9mm over a six shot .357Magnum. Yes, I know you can go eight shot, but really not sure I want to carry a larger frame revolver.

Now, right now it is difficult to guess what might happen, but something new could come along. Like say renewed interest in the .327Mag or some other caliber in a revolver.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 11, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3
BigJimP

A 6 shot revolver ...is always a good choice...depending on your training, what you want, etc....

How or why you think it matters ...in case high capacity mags are banned in some way ...is beyond me.

Revolvers and semi-autos are very different animals....different controls, different grip, etc....but many of us already carry 6 shot revolvers ...or semi-autos with 7 or 8 rds per mag ( like a 1911, Sig 239, etc....).../ not all of us think mag capacity is a big consideration in a weapon - especially a Defensive weapon we might carry. I have some double stack guns...like Sig 226's - but I don't carry them / my personal choice for a carry gun is a 1911, a 5" steel gun, in .45 acp with 8 + 1 and I rarely carry an extra mag / although I train with mags on my belt all the time...and I could carry an extra mag or two if I wanted to easily.

Occasionally I will carry a S&W K frame, .357 mag, in a 4" ...like a model 19 or 66 ....its a very good carry gun in my view.
Old January 11, 2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Dragline45

Like Barry said I would take a 10+1 compact 9mm over a 6 shot .357, and if I was going to go to the full size 8 shot .357 ill take 8, 9 or 10+1 of .45 in a slimmer package. As much as I like revolvers, and I carried one for over 2 years, I shoot autos better, carry them easier, and reload them faster.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

An interesting topic . . . how many rounds is enough?

Personally, I'd rather carry a revolver than a semi-auto - but that's just me. My primary carry is a 5 shot 357 - and I'm comfortable with that.

In regards to high capacity magazines . . . I do carry a Ruger SR9 as well once in a while - however, I'd be satisfied if they just had a 8 round capacity - the 1911 was carried for years in combat and the capacity for that seemed to satisfy the military for generations. My SR9 has a double stack and I believe it will hold 17 (it's been a while since I've fully loaded the magazines as I primarily shoot revolver). If I need that many rounds . . . then it's no longer a case of SD . . . it's an all out gun battle. Just my thoughts though . . . others seem to feel they need that many rounds.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
jason_iowa

I rarely carry high cap stuff in handguns anyway. I don't think there will be any kind of ban but I have been wrong before. The revolver is always a great choice imo because they are ultra reliable and classy. I can reload a revolver nearly as quickly as I can an auto. I don't shoot a revolver as well but I hope to get into reloading my own ammo and get more trigger time in with my revolvers.

So whatever floats your boat. Ill take 5-8 shots of 357 over 17 9mil any day of the week.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
lowercase

Ban or not, I'm a revolver guy to the bone. I really like snubbies.

I have a Glock 19 (15+1), but prefer to roll the "mean streets" with my .44 Bulldog. Also like my K-Frame model 64 2" with factory bobbed hammer.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:59 AM   #8
LockedBreech

I've been thinking on this a lot. I bought some full-cap Beretta 92, CZ-75, and Sig P226 magazines to hedge my bets, but in case of a 10-round max, I'll be shifting to the Ruger GP-100 4" .357 Magnum and Sig Sauer P220 .45 ACP.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:27 AM   #9
bigghoss

I doubt it'll pass but if I were limited to 10 rounds I'd get a .45 semi, either 1911 or a 10+1 like an M&P.45. But I have been known to carry wheelguns. There's nothing wrong with carrying a revolver regardless of a magazine ban.

Have you written your congressmen yet? There are several websites that track bills in congress and congressmen. I like popvox.com because they make it super easy to email congressmen with your stance on an issue.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:32 AM   #10
GunAddict1962

The more important differences are in training and proficiency. You have to be good with your gun regardless of the type. That is what counts most: rounds on target...or opponent. A 15 round mag is nice but it won't help you if the bad guy is first at plugging you in the chest a few times while you are spraying rapid fire from your hi-cap mag and semi-auto.
Old January 12, 2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

A revolver is always a good choice but I don't believe that suddenly all semi autos are going to disappear. If you like revolvers and shoot them well, you won't be under gunned but if you are a semi guy, stick with it and no matter what, spend some trigger time with your choice.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:13 AM   #12
Nakanokalronin

I've been ready for another ban for some time so I'm looking for those revolver trade-ins people are doing to buy ban stuff. I've already come across quite a few, one being a mint 66-2 2.5"

It came with mint original grips that I just had to preserve, so I put on some Altamonts and a Tyler T-Grip.

Old January 12, 2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Wisewolfhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
I've been ready for another ban for some time so I'm looking for those revolver trade-ins people are doing to buy ban stuff. I've already come across quite a few, one being a mint 66-2 2.5"

It came with mint original grips that I just had to preserve, so I put on some Altamonts and a Tyler T-Grip.

That is a sweet looking revolver!
Old January 12, 2013, 08:34 AM   #14
Lemmon

It suits my needs 90% of the time.

I have a Glock 27 with a pocket holster and carry it in my front right pocket. It is a little bulky but works. I also have a five shot S&W J frame 38 special that I sometimes carry in my front right pocket. That little revolver fits nicely and often forget it is in my pocket. It suits my needs 90% of the time.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina
Old January 12, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
bds32

I am sure hoping there is no ban on high-cap and I love both autoloaders and revolvers. But for carry purposes, I prefer revolvers. So most of the time, that is going to be my choice anyway.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:45 PM   #16
barnbwt

Instead of worrying if some regulation will leave you poorly defended (for those who feel 6 shots is too few) why don't you contact your reps and defend your CCW of choice? And for those who do feel 6 shots are sufficient, don't be so self-centered as to not defend the choices of others by tolerating (or even supporting) a ban on effective arms of self defense.

TCB
Old January 12, 2013, 03:42 PM   #17
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
Instead of worrying if some regulation will leave you poorly defended (for those who feel 6 shots is too few) why don't you contact your reps and defend your CCW of choice? And for those who do feel 6 shots are sufficient, don't be so self-centered as to not defend the choices of others by tolerating (or even supporting) a ban on effective arms of self defense.

TCB
Who says we're not?...but I get where you're coming from. I'm a fan of both revolver and semi-autos, pump/lever/semi-auto rifles and shotguns and so-forth. I think some just want to be prepared and some like myself are taking advantage of the goodies in the used section.

My EDCs for pocket and IWB carry are semi-autos and we should all make sure to defend the use of firearms no matter the configuration. It's also important to join the NRA as well and for those that don't call, it literally takes less than a minute to voice your opinion to your reps and helps more than you know.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:06 PM   #18
Meeteetse

Not a matter of changing my mind, I have always been a revolver guy at heart. Certainly I own semi's but they spend most of their time on the shelf. I've carried both 6 and 5 shot revolvers, often at the same time, for many years. I shoot them well and never felt poorly armed. Learning to shoot well and hit your target is more important than the number of bullets in the gun. If you "need" lots of bullets you may be in the wrong neighborhood.

Unless thoroughly schooled in the manual of arms for the particular semi you are carrying and know how to clear malfunctions, IMHO the revolver is a better choice. Nothing wrong with semi's, I just think they are not for everyone.

But I am older than most and as a dinosaur I can speak from 50+ years of experience. By the way, I support all forms, styles, and disciplines of shooting or gun ownership, no matter what my favorite might be. United we stand, divided we fall . . .
Old January 14, 2013, 10:38 AM   #19
L_Killkenny

Gee, OP found another way to beat the old dead horse again, revolver vs. semi.

Revolvers have always been a great choice, so have semi's for that matter. Hi-cap ban or not you're not gonna find too many converts on either side of the isle. Can't imagine the day when semi's don't carry more rounds so for those worried about such things they will always top the list. Doesn't make any difference whether it's 4 more rounds or 10. In reality, with the ability for fast/easy reloads semi's will always have the advantage when it comes to sendin lead downrange fast. That fact in itself is the main reason why bans like that don't do a dang bit of good.

New gun owners are a different story though. If/when they reinstate the hi-cap ban I do expect you'll see more revolvers getting sold to folk who don't stay up nights worrying about how many is enough. Likewise you'll also see an increase in .45acp sales similar to what happened in the '90's. 10 big bullets trumps 10 small ones anyday and twice on Sunday.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Shotgun693

I feel rather under gunned. I've managed to survive, and win, 6 gunfights. All were at work, 35 years in Law Enforcement. I've never fired more than 4 shots in any of'm. Here all this time I thought a 6 shot revolver had served me well. Was I wrong?