The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 11, 2004, 08:53 PM   #1
j0hnlewis

.233 russian ammo TOO HOT!!

I purchased some russian .233 ammo a few years back at gun show in pittsburgh PA with "TCW AMMUNITION" printed on the front of the box. I reload rifle ammo and use primer inpection in judging pressures. These rounds pushed the primer indention outward into the firing pin hole of my rossi break open .233 and as a result I had to smack the barrel down to break open the action. My first thought was it was hot because it was designed to be used in gas powered semiauto rifles. Does anyone have any experience with this ammo? Any info why this ammo is Hot? Just how hot is it, and is it Dangerous?
Old November 12, 2004, 11:18 PM   #2
OfcrBill

Russian Ammo a no-no

I know many AR-15 shooters, including myself that has had every malfunction imaginable with Russian Ammo. Dirty powder, primers lodging in the receiver/follower, steel cases jamming in the chamber, etc.,etc. You will save a bunch of dough with that Russian garbage. Thats what it is...garbage. Your jam sounds like one of two things, spent primer loose between bolt and chamber or cartridge wasn't re-sized properly (swelled at the bottom or shoulder not at SAAMI specs). That's only based on my experiences. I hope that helps you. Bill
Old November 15, 2004, 01:57 AM   #3
mikikanazawa

I wonder if the ammo in question has a smaller case volume than "normal?" (Thicker walls or the like.) Would reduced case volume cause greater chamber pressure with the same amount of powder?
Old November 30, 2004, 02:05 AM   #4
OfcrBill

Russian Ammo

Another problem with that type of ammo is the sealant (for extended storage) used on the cartridge (like Wolf ammo). When that stuff gets hot after a few dozen rounds (along with the horrible pwder) it turns to a gooey glue-like substance in your beloved rifle. Not only seen it first hand, but several Range Masters consider it "inappropriate", to put it nicely. It is possible that the ammo is not intended for auto or semi-auto rifles, regardless what the carton says. I do know however, that most of that Russian ammo is made with non-reloadable cartridges and will foul your dies. I was one of those ding-dongs that had to learn that the hard way. Your analysis of inspecting the spent primer is a very good indicator of a proper load. It seems you know what to do, and not use it. Regards, Bill
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63