The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Exactly how many grains can be shoe-horned into a .44mag?

Reading the thread on "Ruger only" loads and being a proud Ruger owner myself I decided to cast an eye over the Midway websites, looking at meaty bullets.

I found a few and that got me thinking. I've heard of and read of 310, 320 even 340gr bullets in a .44Mag, but can they go any bigger?

If so, is there any point?
Old February 10, 2014, 05:52 PM   #2
totaldla

Nope. No real point. At the end of the day it is still just a handgun.
Old February 10, 2014, 07:25 PM   #3
JD0x0

There is a point. Sectional Density and penetration. If you want to penetrate deep, through heavy bone and hide, heavy (for caliber) bullets are better. It wont kill like a high velocity rifle round, but 340 grain .429 cal bullets will punch big holes, very deeply. If you're shooting at something that requires that penetration, it's a plus. If you're shooting at something that doesn't then you're simply adding recoil, IMO.
Old February 10, 2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Snyper

Those really heavy .429 bullets aren't meant for the 44 Magnum.
They are better suited to a 444 Marlin

When you put them in a 44 Mag case, you lose too much powder space to gain an advantage

I'd not go bigger than an 300 in a 44 Mag, and preferably in a gun where you could seat them as far out as possible
Old February 10, 2014, 09:04 PM   #5
RalphS

Pond,

I think I've explained this to you before but, anyways, here goes again -

The Redhawk has a longer cylinder than other 44 Magnums. It can hold longer (= heavier) bullets than other revolvers (S&W). S&W 29s and 629s can generally handle up to 300 grain bullets but the Redhawk can handle anything you can fit into it. People who tell you that 300 grain bullets are the maximum generally own S&W handguns. The Redhawk can hold bullets with a Nose To Crimp (NTC) measurement of .450 or .500 inches. I like to use .450. It leaves a little room in case the bullet jumps crimp, but .500 will fit.

Take advantage of the longer cylinders and find some bullets that will fill the cylinder length. Look at the beartooth bullets website and notice that the specs on the bullets include the NTC measurement.

In my 44M Redhawk with 5.5 inch barrel, I have loaded the following -
355 grain Beartooth bullet at 1221 fps
325 grain Beartooth bullet at 1324 fps
300 grain Beartooth bullet at 1389 fps

These are all very hot loads, above the maximum specified on the Hodgdon website for H-110, but well within what a Redhawk can handle. Brian Pearce has stated in Handloader that the Redhawk is the strongest gun in the Ruger line. "Ruger Only Loads" don't really stress a Redhawk too much.

I also have a 45LC Redhawk and I've tested some very hot loads in it too without ever seeing any sign of overpressure. The 45LC Redhawk cylinder is the same length at the 454 Super Redhawk (some people swap them out to make a 454 Redhawk). Load a 345 grain Beartooth Bullet with a NTC of .450 into 45LC brass and the bullet is as far forward as a 454 round would be and you can push it pretty hard too. I've pushed it to 1235 fps out of a 4 inch Redhawk 45LC.

I am not recommending that anyone else try this. My two Redhawks handle these loads just fine.

For bear protection, I think that a 325 grain bullet at about 1250 fps out of a 4 inch barrel (either 44M or 45LC, doesn't matter much to a Redhawk, or to a bear) is just about perfect. Beyond that it starts to hurt you more than the bear. My 45LC Redhawk is my "mountain" gun and Buffalo Bore sells 325 grain 45LC "+P Ruger only" ammo that clocks in at 1269 fps from my 4 inch barrel. That's what I carry but they are expensive and I only have about 25 of them left. I'll probably never use them all up but after they're gone, it'll be my handloads with either Beartooth bullets or Rimrock bullets. Buffalo Bore uses Rimrock as their bullet supplier.

Most of the time, I just shoot 240 grain bullets at about 1300 fps at the range.

Those Cast Performance 320 grain bullets on the MidwayDeutschland website have a NTC of .425 (look at the Cast Performance website for the specs). Those look pretty good to me. They would leave about 0.075 inches of clearance at the front of the RH cylinder. Or you can email Larry at MidwayUSA and ask him to export Rimrock and Beartooth bullets to MidwayDeutschland. Just tell him that there are big bears in Europe too, and people with Redhawks.

Last edited by RalphS; February 10, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

This wasn't so much an issue of trying to find a bullet for a given purpose, but rather a conversation point prompted by what I saw online.

It started because I was looking at big cast lead bullets on Midway Germany's site and found .44 Cal 370gr bullets that were the biggest I've see in that caliber.
They were actually listed as .445 diameter so I am guessing they might be for another caliber than .44Mag (444?) but simply finding that made me think "Wow, how high will people actually go in .44 Mag?"

As it happens 355gr is now the highest I've seen.

Personally, I may be tempted, when money is a bit more forthcoming, to order a box of heavy bullets. I would be happy with 300gr, but higher could be fun such as more Cast Performance (320gr) or even the Hunter Supply 330s I also saw there.

This would, however, just be for the fun of loading a mule of a round, rather than fullfilling a role as woods load. (Unless the perform particularly well, of course!!)

Quote:
Brian Pearce has stated in Handloader that the Redhawk is the strongest gun in the Ruger line. "Ruger Only Loads" don't really stress a Redhawk too much.
Really?! Even stronger than the .44Mag SRH and SBH models? Wow!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; February 11, 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 01:34 AM   #7
JD0x0

.44 mag and .444marlin bullets are often .429-.430 caliber, I suspect the bullets you found are intended for a different caliber. The heaviest cast or jacketed projectiles, I've seen in .429-430cal have been 340 grains, which a .44 mag should be able to shoot just fine.
Edit: nevermind, I found out beartooth makes a 405 grain bullet that can be sized from .429 to .432
Old February 11, 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I suspect the bullets you found are intended for a different caliber.
Here is the link to the Midway product page. If you can tell what caliber they might be for, please do tell because I am curious now!! It must be some kind of lever action or something at that weight, surely...

Ignore the above... The power of reading the written word is my friend and should not be ignored... Further down the page it states it is for BP shooting... So now I know
Old February 11, 2014, 08:38 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Pond, James Pond:

I've heard of and read of 310, 320 even 340gr bullets in a .44Mag, but can they go any bigger?

If so, is there any point?

Is there a point to going bigger than 340gr? Other than just because one can? Not really. Maybe years ago, when there was nuttin' else out there in handguns that was bigger than the .44 mag, but nowadays, there are much better options available than trying to make the .44 mag something other than what it is.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:34 AM   #10
Jim Watson

1. I do not know what rifling twist Marlin now uses for .444, but they have built a lot of rifles with the 38" twist of the original .44 WCF and are limited in bullet length/weight more than a .44 Magnum with 20" twist and long cylinder.

2. The .446" diameter bullets you link to are meant for Sharps rifles, the .44-77, .44-90, and .44-100. No application in a true .43 caliber revolver.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:00 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

I have loaded, and shot, tens of thousands of rounds through my Ruger Redhawk. I have used many loads, including some I call 'whomper-stompers'. Reading your question I asked myself "Why?". A safely loaded max with 300 gr. bullets is plenty enuf for almost any walking critter. Plus it is an incredibly uncomfortable load to shoot. For me, those full loads with 300 gr. bullets, a shooting session was one cylinder. Six shots. More than that was just too unpleasant and no fun. For me, if it ain't fun, I'll quit shooting and go in the house to do something that is fun.
I know those really big handgun calibers are out there and some people actually shoot them. But, I never understood the need to have a carry-around field howizter. Each to his own.
Bottom line. Don't do it. Stick with bullets designed for the .44 mag.
Old February 11, 2014, 10:27 AM   #12
eldermike

44 mag with 240 gain flat point shot from a revolver is a very good deer hunting setup. I shot one deer with a 240 HP and lost the whole exit side quarter of the deer from blood shot effect with no exit, so I went to the flat point and never looked back. I have loaded heavy bullets in 44 mag contender with no crimp but still lost case capacity based on chamber restrictions.
Old February 11, 2014, 02:21 PM   #13
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Bottom line. Don't do it. Stick with bullets designed for the .44 mag.
If I were to, in the case of Hunters Supply, it would be a box of fifty bullets for about €33, and really just for the experience of what my gun would feel like, occasionally shooting silly recoil and impressing any visiting friends who fancy shooting something that they'd never get to try back home...

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; February 11, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 11, 2014, 05:22 PM   #14
RalphS

Quote:
Really?! Even stronger than the .44Mag SRH and SBH models? Wow!
In Handloader #277, Brian Pearce states that the Redhawk is stronger than the Blackhawk. He also states how much pressure a 45LC RH can handle, but I'm not going to quote him here. He is talking about the 45LC RH in this case, but the same comparison will apply to the 44M RH.

As for 44M SRH vs. 44M RH, they use the same cylinders made from the same steel so they should be equal.

There is also a back issue of Handloader #265 which contains a Pearce article on "Loads for the +P 44 Magnum" which is supposedly only for the Redhawk. I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment.
Old February 11, 2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Interesting to know as something that I've oft seen stated is that the Blackhawks are the strongest of the Ruger revolvers. I've never handled one so I can't comment, but I took it as true given most know more about guns than me!!

And with the likes of the SRH in .454, I had always assumed that the SRH would trounce the RH in the toughness stakes, but I guess the cylinder is the bit that will take the most pounding.

If I ever decide to get another big revolver, I guess I can do worse than another RH. Perhaps 7.5" next time, with the ring mounts cut in!!

Shame Ruger have removed the RH lineup from their website at the moment... I'd like to have a closer look.

All the same, feeling even more love for my gun now!!
Old February 11, 2014, 05:56 PM   #16
mnoirot64

Damn! Those are so HOT loads. I only have a little S & W 629 44 magnum.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old February 11, 2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Damn! Those are so HOT loads. I only have a little S & W 629 44 magnum.
They certainly are!!

Personally the best I've managed is 240gr at 1350fps from my Redhawk 4" as well as 275gr at 1150fps.

The 275 loads could have gone faster, but I decided to keep it manageable as this is my woods load and may require the need for follow-up shots.

The 240gr recoil actually feels stronger to me.
Old February 11, 2014, 07:42 PM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If I ever decide to get another big revolver,...

Just kick it up to a .460XVR or .500SW, rather than "shoe horning" anything.
Old February 11, 2014, 11:28 PM   #19
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger View Post
Just kick it up to a .460XVR or .500SW, rather than "shoe horning" anything.

No way. My 2 5/8" S&W kicks plenty hard right now. It's a big enough hand cannon for me. Besides, if I want some serious recoil I can get out some of my big rifles - like my 338 RUM.
Old February 12, 2014, 01:20 AM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Just kick it up to a .460XVR or .500SW,

Noooo, thank you!

I may have got over my aversion to recoil with my .44 and even reached a point of embracing it, but there are limits and I think .454 would be it!!
Old February 12, 2014, 06:29 AM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Chambering only tells you part of the equation. You need to know what gun you're talking about before you worry about recoil.

Ka--Chow!

Besides, handgun recoil is fun. It doesn't hurt like a rifle does. Well... usually.
Old February 12, 2014, 02:52 PM   #22
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Chambering only tells you part of the equation. You need to know what gun you're talking about before you worry about recoil.

Ka--Chow!
Wow.. that is.. uh.. quite a "distinctive" look, isn't it?
Old February 12, 2014, 03:42 PM   #23
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Distinctively, awesomely the coolest revolver ever to appear on earth.
Old February 12, 2014, 04:05 PM   #24
madmo44mag

Brian Pfleuger is correct.
Buy a larger gun vs overloading a cartridge.
Back when I started playing with the 44mag the 454 Casual was all there was other than specialty guns built off Ruger frames and very costly.
If I was still into punishment as I once was I would buy a S&W500.
As to the OP question you can shoe horn a lot more 2400 under a 240gn bullet than any manual lists.
There are other powders than will work an allow more room in the case but 2400 seems to work the best with the 240gn bullet.
IMR 4227 also works well.
As bullet size increases you have to change powders and where you crimp the bullet at. That's where you start to run into problems in other brand revolvers - not enough room in the cyl.
With a 340 + grain bullet it starts getting tricky.
Now you have to match the powder burn rate to max psi and still maintain a max OAL.
Over charging a cartridge is a lot like wildcatting a new round.
There is always a chance something bad could happen.
Old February 12, 2014, 04:10 PM   #25
madmo44mag

OMG .460XVR
Holly magnum rounds!!!!!
I thought my Rugger 44mag with a 10 inch bull barrel was heavy.
That thing uses a bi-pod.
I bet you pull that out at the range and everyone is down on you lane looking.