The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 2, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Taktix

New Video - Tactical U Instructor Hits 10" Steel w/ Glock 26 Subcompact at 104 Yds!

Check out the video: https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50239209755053

(Now if we could only figure out how to hold the video camera, we'll be in great shape.)

Come improve your shooting skills at our High Risk Concealed Carry Course, next Saturday at 8:00 a.m.
Old July 3, 2011, 05:13 AM   #2
9-ball

Trying to be hickok45 are we?
Old July 3, 2011, 06:17 AM   #3
ConlawBloganon

oh snap, and he did it while sideways too
Old July 3, 2011, 06:36 AM   #4
smince

My first 'long range' handgunning was with a 1911 at 100 about 10 years ago. About an 8" group at that distance.

I took a local advanced handgun course in 2008 where I shot my G26 at ranges of 50-100 yds with no problems. We even had a few making hits with J-frames. We were shooting 3/4 scale silhouettes.

Suarez International routinely takes their advanced students out to 200 with handguns.

Nothing new here.
Old July 3, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
jgcoastie

I use my 9mm Sig and .22lr Buckmark routinely on 4" steel swingers at 100yds... It's not that difficult once you practice a bit.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old July 3, 2011, 10:31 AM   #6
TXGunNut

Years ago I helped with a bike officer school, of all things, where students fired at 100 yards, at night, with duty sidearms. This was not a firearms school for advanced shooters. The few students who didn't hit the target were the ones who didn't think it could be done.
Oh, smince? Those J-frames will surprise most folks. I amaze myself with my little 2" guns sometimes. Don't let anyone tell you they are not accurate. I'd put them up against a subcompact auto any day, even a few full-size ones.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 3, 2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

We were shooting at clay pigeons on the ground at 100 yards with 22 LR rifles. I missed the last one. Since I had on a G-26 I took a shot.

Bingo!

No Take Two. Quit when you are ahead.

We also found that we could consistenly hit stuff we put inside a propped up tire at 100 yards with 9's, not the most techy or tough target but doable.

Also amazingly, we could hit an above the surface black hose for the ranch water system at long distances - without even aiming at it. How about that?
Old July 3, 2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Also amazingly, we could hit an above the surface black hose for the ranch water system at long distances - without even aiming at it. How about that?
I don't know how many times I managed to shoot the electric fence wire in half from over 100 yards...
Old July 3, 2011, 01:43 PM   #9
smince

Quote:
Oh, smince? Those J-frames will surprise most folks.
I know very well they will.

It's hard to get sarcasm across on the 'net
Old July 3, 2011, 02:06 PM   #10
TylerD45ACP

I saw it done at 200 yds with WWB 230gr. out of a Springfield Champion 4" I think the plate may have been 16" though. You can shoot pistols a lot farther than the most think. However making a 100yd pistol shot in combat is very unlikely unless the target doesnt know your there. The you can lob your bullets in there like 40MM grenades.
Old July 3, 2011, 06:43 PM   #11
raimius

There was that Air Force SP that took out a shooter from something like 85yds with a Ruger.
It can be done.

I occasionally shoot a 12in steel at 100 with my commander sized 1911. I'm not that great, but I can usually get 3-4 hits out of a mag.
Old July 6, 2011, 05:12 PM   #12
TylerD45ACP

Wanna hear a crazy and true story, Look it up! (Not sure if this is exact but very close)
A -MEDAL OF HONOR WINNER-- In WWII won it for downing many Japanese planes. However, one Dogfight his aircraft was hit so bad he was forced to bail out. In those days that meant jumping out of your plane. Well he jumped and opened the shoot, but a Japanese Zero tried to strafe him with machineguns and thought he killed the GI as he floated down. The GI was looking lifeless so the Zero circled him to confirm. As it circled him the GI opened up on the top of the Zero's canopy with his M1911A1. The plane went down and the Japanese pilot was found with one 45cal bullet in his head. More luck than anything but .
Old July 6, 2011, 09:33 PM   #13
Deaf Smith

I am not shocked a 26 would hit a 10 inch plate at over 100 yards.

My Glock 26, after using a sighting tool, is dead on at 25 yards for head shots in a IPSC target. I put 10 out of 10 in the head using 127gr Winchester +p+ (my favorite load.) I then repeated that with my 27 using Winchester 155gr JHPs (also my favorite .40 load.)

Took some time to get the sights right, using carry ammo (and it ain't cheap!)

The trick is to get those sights right on as for windage and then figure out just what hold over is needed.

Deaf
Old July 6, 2011, 09:39 PM   #14
jhenry

The SP used a Beretta 9mm. I believe the shot was taken in a parking lot type area against some dope armed with a rifle.
Old July 8, 2011, 09:49 PM   #15
TXGunNut

Oh, smince? Those J-frames will surprise most folks.-me

I know very well they will.

It's hard to get sarcasm across on the 'net. -smince

Uh-oh, hope everyone here can keep a secret.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:21 PM   #16
TylerD45ACP

I believe if you practice with a cetain pistol enough (Glock 26 in this case) its like an extension of your arm. I am not a Glock fan but not ignorant either and know they are good firearms. I am not suprised he hit that. The 9mm has an excellent trajectory and is a pretty flat shooter out to 100yds. With practice of the same handgun (or a couple) one can become very accurate. The furtherst I shot was when I was at a rifle range and had my Fathers 92FS with me. Standard WWB's 115gr. I think, I shot at 50yds at a 100yd rifle target. It was a long time ago, I believe the 1st 15 round mag I was all over the place but got a feel. I put up more targets and started shooting it again but slowly and got them in the 9-10 ring I believe. I shot a couple more mags and did pretty well. This is the best to recollection. Long range pistol shots are AWESOME. I would like to become more proficient with my 1911 45. Best I shoot accuratley and quickly at about 60ft. maybe 70ft. I got to try longer ranges and slower shots, with some peppy 45's.
Old July 9, 2011, 02:23 AM   #17
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I routinely shoot pistols out to at least 100 yards every range session. Yesterday I was shooting at a tomato paste can (the small ones) on a stick (could see a hit that way - can moves around) at 125 yards with a Ruger MKII 22/45 Target model, hitting it about 3 times per mag.

I practice shooting for accuracy. Another of my favorite seasonal targets are the white "puff ball" seed heads of dandelions. Hit them right in the middle and all of the white goes flying, miss the center and hit any other portion and only that section lets loose; lets you know where you hit.

What can I say, I am easily entertained!

Now, go figure...
Old July 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #18
TylerD45ACP

I drilled a golf tee, just knicked it. It was an awesome 22 rifle bolt action very old I couldnt tell you the model but accurate as hell. From 150 ft. I set up the golf tee in a box so I could shoot it off hand. Open sights but they were beautiful. I couldnt actually see the tee but put a pepsi can behind it with the tee between the barcode. I shot for than and hit it, I was so happy. This was a while ago.
Old July 13, 2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Sleuth

Way back when, my duty gun was a S&W M60 2", with 110g +p+ load (Winchester Q4070). Since I had the keys to the ammo bunker, I got in a lot of practice with that combo.
!00yard shots of about 8" group offhand were no problem.

Last edited by Sleuth; July 13, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old July 13, 2011, 02:19 PM   #20
TylerD45ACP

Nice, keys to the locker . Sounds like nice shootin too.
Old July 13, 2011, 11:56 PM   #21
Boats

A 100m shot with a flat trajectory round like the 9mm can be made rather routine on a target like a decently sized steel plate.

After continuously zapping gongs at 100m with a Beretta CX4 until it got boring, I began taking note how little elevation was required to get 115 grain rounds out there, so I started doing the banging at that distance with the companion PX-4 pistol. It took some figuring out, mainly because the front sight is not at all thin and target styled for that distance, but I can now routinely get about 10/17 or better on the gong without difficulty if the wind isn't too much of a factor.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:07 PM   #22
ExMP

There is a YouTube video of a guy shooting an iPhone at 50 yards.......with a Hi-Point 9mm. He hit it twice, after he found his spotter was looking at the wrong target.

No! No! NO, Please! Don't whip me for talking about the dreaded Hi-Point! I'll be good! I'll be good!
Old July 14, 2011, 06:25 PM   #23
BGutzman

It takes so little to impress some...
Old July 14, 2011, 10:24 PM   #24
TylerD45ACP

Pop Quiz TFL Guys...How about doing that in the real world only the target is COM and your being shot back at, in a ridiculously long pistol shootout on a football field with no cover in sight... Whadda you do, Whadda you do (Keanu Reeves voice)
Old July 14, 2011, 10:56 PM   #25
40caljustice

^^^^ Run. Its no longer a self defense situation.

Back to the OP.
I believe there's a video of Hickok hitting a gong at 230 with a .45. There are other calibers he does this with also. He regularly hits the 80 yarder with every thing he picks up including a .380.

I've popped 75 yards with consistancy. 6 of 10 shots with my g27. 8 of 10 with my XDm service .40 on a good day (rarely). Practice practice practice. Lots of rounds down range. When I bust a pretty good run at 75, I quit. It makes me feel complete

Tags
carry , concealed , florida , pistol , range