The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 19, 2014, 10:21 AM   #1
mooseless303

Handloading hunting loads by hull color

I've been working on systematically using different colored hulls & makers for my 12 gauge hunting rounds for a few years. With the price of target loads these days, the financial benefits of reloading fall to doing hunting rounds. I determined this method rather than going with roll crimp loading with disks labeled with shot contents. Using various non-toxic shot and lead makes the roll crimp labeling confusing and I'd have to come up with new loads. I found I liked a couple of loads that used Federal hulls, for example, so I use the pink ones for Bismuth BB's for late Geese, the Gold Medal for #4 lead for pheasant, the paper hulls for #9 for quail/grouse, red field & range are steel #6 for early wood ducks, Blue are late large duck using #4 ITX, White are early Canada goose #4 ITX. Think you have the idea now...

My request is that should anyone else be doing this that we might swap excess hulls or other components around. Usually I need only a hundred or less of any color.

Last edited by mooseless303; October 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old October 19, 2014, 02:16 PM   #2
hartcreek

I have been doing the same for more then 25 years. I have a local gunshop that has a barrel of mixed hulls. I just take a box or two and start going through the barrel till I have the colors I want. You probably have a local shop that has a barrel too.
Old November 5, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
mooseless303

Wish I did!

If you spot any 12 Ga hulls that'll take the Rem*57, etc. smaller primer, I'd be happy to buy 'em off you. They have a fiber basewad. One easy way to spot them is that the writing on the hull is typically along the length of the hull rather than around it's width. Colors are Blue, Green & Red. Any Red Remington 12 ga hulls will be for the smaller primer. Saves looking down the mouth of every one...
Old November 5, 2014, 07:52 PM   #4
mulespurs

coloring

You can also color the primers with a magic marker.
Done it for years.