The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 30, 2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Winchester_73

Quote:
I got you two mixed up. Sorry, no offense intended.
I'm not offended at all. Some people would say that it was a compliment to me probably

I was just poking fun at you citing someone who wasn't in the thread, at all.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:23 PM   #27
MK11

I've got a question about Luger operation. My wife's grandfather has a WWII bring-back. When pulled back (no mag in place) the toggle simply stays back, it has to be manually pushed forward to go into battery.

What's wrong? I'm assuming there's a spring broken/missing. There's been no attempt to try to chamber a round.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:55 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

It sounds like the recoil spring is missing or, if it is the older type Luger, the flat spring may be broken. The later coil springs don't break, but they might be weakened by leaving the gun open for a long time (decades) or maybe somone took the spring out and never replaced it.

Take off either of the grip screws and look at the space behind the magazine well. You should see a coil spring or, less likely, the remains of a flat spring.

Jim
Old January 30, 2013, 03:08 PM   #29
MK11

Thank you! Good explanation.

Last edited by MK11; January 30, 2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Archarris

I agree with dansu. I've had a Stoeger for years and it is one of my favorites. It is an extremely fun little pistol to shoot. I prefer it over a Ruger mk2 anyday. It may not be a Luger, or even the same mechanism, but it still has an interesting and unique action. If a real Luger is not in the price range i think the Stoeger is a fine substitute. Parts and magazines are very difficult to find though. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old February 4, 2013, 12:35 PM   #31
PzGren

Winchester73,

your G date was built on a DWM frame as it seems to miss the Mauser hump and P.08 imprint.

As i have noticed before, you not only have a nice collection, you also know what you are looking at.
Old February 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #32
Winchester_73

Quote:
your G date was built on a DWM frame as it seems to miss the Mauser hump and P.08 imprint.
From what I read, G dates and 1936 S/42s, do not have the Mauser hump. The Mauser hump was on some K date (1934) lugers, and it became standard in 1937 after the feature was not present in 1935 or 1936. I don't think the
"P.08" mark came until much later.

Were you suggesting that it was an old completed DWM frame which Mauser used to make a luger? I would think that those frames would have been used up already, but perhaps not? I never thought about that. I do know that Mauser acquired the tooling from DWM, and I suppose some finished parts as well.

Thanks for the compliments. I liked your guns as well.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:09 PM   #33
tylerstg

in my opinion you can't go wrong with a police luger at a gun show you can get them sub 800 and typically have very good bluing.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #34
.30luger

I have a .30 calibur luger with all matching serial numbers and original parts. german made, DWM manufactured. im trying to find out the worth and maybe even find a potential buyer. any help?
Old May 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #35
James K
Member In Memoriam

You have responses on your other thread.

Jim
Old May 6, 2013, 03:46 PM   #36

Interesting about the Stoger .22 Luger.
I always wanted one when I was a kid. Within the last 10 years I bought one and it doesn't run worth a crap. Maybe I should look it over more carefully and see if I can find the problem. I just assumed this was normal.

This doesn't add anything to the thread either, but I have a couple "shooter" Lugers. One is a submarine commander that I need to get refinished. Sad, in that it is all matching.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:08 PM   #37
SaxonPig

My very first pistol was a brand new Stoeger 22 Luger. But it was a jam-o-matic and we never could get it to run. The store bought it back and I moved on.

The a year or so back I saw one at a local show. I bought it for $210 and it works perfectly.

I also have this one.

Old May 6, 2013, 09:42 PM   #38
James K
Member In Memoriam

Both the Stoeger .22 and the Erma "Lugers" have spotty records for reliability. I have seen them both run perfectly, and I have seen both have repeated problems. IMHO, purchase of either is a crapshoot; I will stick to the Ruger with an "R" .22 pistols.

Jim
Old May 7, 2013, 11:38 PM   #39
PzGren

Quote:
From what I read, G dates and 1936 S/42s, do not have the Mauser hump. The Mauser hump was on some K date (1934) lugers, and it became standard in 1937 after the feature was not present in 1935 or 1936. I don't think the
"P.08" mark came until much later.

Were you suggesting that it was an old completed DWM frame which Mauser used to make a luger? I would think that those frames would have been used up already, but perhaps not? I never thought about that. I do know that Mauser acquired the tooling from DWM, and I suppose some finished parts as well.

Thanks for the compliments. I liked your guns as well.

Sorry, I missed your post. I have the book by Hallock & van de Kant about the Mauser P.08 from 1930 - 1945 and it is stated that many DWM frames and parts went to Mauser but they were used up in the first years of production, probably until the first K dates. There were 4,000 complete pistols and parts for at least 8,000 more sent from Berlin to Oberndorf. Mr. Weiss, the production supervisor was transferred from DWM to Mauser in 1930 and has kept notes of mayn transactions.

I can really recommend that book despite its price tag!

Oh, and I added another this month. A 1938 S/42.

Old May 10, 2013, 01:36 PM   #40
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just FWIW, SaxonPig's police Luger has two features commonly found on police pistols (never on military guns), the sear safety and the Schiwy magazine safety. The first locks the sear bar when the sideplate is removed, preventing an accident if the trigger bar is pressed in; the magazine safety blocks the trigger when the magazine is removed. Almost all the magazine safeties were disabled by grinding off the front part, leaving the rear part in place. That was apparently done on the gun shown.

Jim