The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Solarius

Shotguns for trap/skeet?

Is there anything that makes a shotgun better for trap or skeet? I was thinking about buying a 12 gauge but I'm not really sure what to look for. I don't really want to spend more than like $350.
Old September 3, 2005, 08:06 AM   #2
auto45

It's easier to pick a gun for skeet or trap given the different specs.

But, a sporting clays model or one with choke tubes goes a long way in the middle.

$350 should get you a new pump gun or perhaps a used Remington 1100.
Old September 3, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3
David Berkowitz

Almost any shotgun can be used for shooting clay targets, but there are some features that make it easier. Unfortunately, the ones that make it easier for trap may make it harder for skeet.
A 12 gauge is the most versatile, so you are making a good choice there.
If you are looking for one gun to do it all, auto45 has the right idea as a sporting clays model is a compromise of several disciplines.
A longer barrel, 32 inches, is good for trap, a 28 inch is best for skeet, so a 30 inch is practical for both.
In your price range, I would look for a used semi-auto or overunder. The pump gun will work fine for trap, but you will need to learn to cycle it very quickly for doubles trap or skeet. You may find it necessary to incrrease you budget into the $500 range. While you can find good guns at $350, you will have many more options at $500.
The main features to look for are the shape of the stock, chokes, the rib, and how well the gun "fits" you.
Old September 3, 2005, 07:30 PM   #4
kymasabe

I've shot trap for years and hardly ever shot doubles. Sporting clays is a double heavy sport but with a decent pump gun, you CAN get the job done.
I had a Browning Citori over/under. Was the best (as in quality, workmanship, and as the gun as art) that I ever owned. But, hated it as a trap gun, too darn heavy. My favorite trap gun turned out to be a Remington 870 Wingmaster that I bought used. Shot trap with that for 5 years, put over 50,000 shells thru it, never had a problem. Once I got proficient with it, I started using it for sporting clays and did well with it there too. Would take my 30" trap barrel off and put on a 26 inch barrel for bird hunting.

As far as barrels go...30" I think is ideal for trap. It MUST have a vent rib and two dots on the rib for sights is better than one. With my 870, if I stacked the two dots so they looked like an "8" and put the bird right on top, like the head of a snowman, I knew I'd bust the target. ( ...there's more to it with a moving target but you get the idea).