The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 1999, 10:10 AM   #1
Bill Hebert

I can buy brass for both my 223 and 308 in either commercial or military for the same price. I know about the crimp on the mil brass - and that some loadbooks recommend reducing powder loads when using mil brass. So what's the lowdown - should I get the mil brass since it's thicker and presumably get more reloads or get the commercial brass and not have the hassle of the crimp? Thanks in advance..+
Old August 26, 1999, 01:19 PM   #2
flatlander

You'll find that the LC 223 cases don't weigh any more than commercial brass(at least the late 80's & 90's headstamps). Most of the 7.62 military brass has been run through M60 machine guns, which stretch the heck out of it. It may last quite a while if your 308 is a bolt rifle, but you'll see case head separations within about 3 loadings if you're shooting it out of a semi-auto. I really like LC 5.56 brass, but would prefer to use commercial WW or IMI 308.
Old August 26, 1999, 08:34 PM   #3
Big Bunny

YES, I agree, for the same price get the boxer commercial brass... the mil stuff can be a pain, unless you like checking it all for safety, re-sizing and reaming/chamfering etc etc(and I do, as most of mine is free- being ex-army and ex-police range "droppies"). As regards berdan, the only exception I have made is for NORMA 6.5X55mm(superb quality and you don't care so much if you lose it in the bush hunting!)and .303BR for my Martini-Enfield 1895, which perforates the new, smaller, dinky little primers and needs a bit or meat to bite into!

I'd go for the commercial stuff every time.
Anyway, who is making a $$motza selling ex-mil for the same price as commercial ??....

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old August 26, 1999, 09:07 PM   #4
Grayfox

I don't understand how they can sell commercial and military at the same price. Military is always cheaper. I think somebody is trying to rip you off. If the price is the same get the commercial.
I've been using military brass in .38spl, 9mm, .45acp and .308 for years without any problems. It has also always been dirt cheap.
BTW: In .308 only buy used military brass with the Lake City (LC) headstamp. Lake City is the only military arsenal that DOES NOT link .308s for machine guns.
Old August 27, 1999, 02:09 PM   #5
Bill Hebert

Well, I went back to the site and I was wrong - the commercial brass is more expensive than the military brass- but not by much. The company is SCHARCH MANUFACTURING, Inc. and they are at scharch.com. They seem to have good prices and a satisfaction guarantee. Any of you have had dealings with them?... Thanks for the feedback on mil vs. commercial brass.