The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2015, 08:44 PM   #1
ZVP

Shame on Piettia and Cabela's!

Engraved Steel framed .44 caliber Model 1851 Navy???
Pity that the engraved guns aren't correct to caliber huh?
Stupid Americans will buy anything.
Jeeze!
ZVP
Old February 11, 2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Bishop Creek

The Italians have been making those since at least the 1970s. Not a big deal unless you are into only authentic reproduction revolvers from that period.
Old February 11, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
skizzums

I tried to buy the nickel/gold one for my wife, she wouldn't stop talking about it. logged into order and they were sold out last like two Fridays ago. sad...... I could care less about the caliber, my wife care wouldn't know it from a 9mm. but they sold out.....so, I guess i's not that big a deal to lots of people.

I am a stupid American though, and I do pretty much buy anything
Old February 11, 2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Stupid Americans will buy anything.
I hope you're smiling when you say that pard, so I'll know we're still friends.

It's 1968 and I just learned that I could legally own a Black Powder pistol. I borrowed my Dad's car and drove down to the Navy Arms showroom in Ridgefield NJ. Slapped down $40 on the counter and walked out with my brass framed 'Army 60' as it was described in the catalog. Let's just say I was too young to know that the Navy model was never made in 44 caliber.

Old February 12, 2015, 08:49 AM   #5
noelf2

I've tried zooming in on Cabela's photos of the engraved revolvers and they just look a bit weird to me. It may be the quality of the photo, but laser etched engraving just doesn't do it for me. Do they look better up close?
Old February 12, 2015, 05:10 PM   #6
BerdanSS

Driftwood

The small CW Reenactment group I was in for years (starting at age 12) had a collection of various pistols to display at encampments, school programs and the like. One of which was a "Navy Arms" marked Griswold and Gunnison .44 exactly like yours. It was my favorite pistol out of the set, I always made sure that one got tucked into my holster before anyone else got it at reenactments.

Secretly, I've always pined for one of my own. (but is the correct .36 caliber) I'd do a back flip to get one for $40 nowadays.
Old February 12, 2015, 06:19 PM   #7
peggysue

...well alright than.

Last edited by peggysue; February 13, 2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old February 13, 2015, 01:45 AM   #8
Hellgate

Driftwood, That picture you showed was my first love. I'm 38 or 39 C&Bs down the road now.
Hellgate
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old February 13, 2015, 11:48 AM   #9
Perldog007

well Cabela's.... ah.. uh they gave me a great price but .... ;)

Here is my store sad but true, so dang sad my identification reflects that my eyes are blue. Long rant, there is kinda sorta a point at the end .. and a pic

I am not interested in historic or authentic regarding a BP handgun. the pietta 1858 clone does it for me, and I'm planning on getting the STUPID AMERICAN SPECIAL 1851 .44 ENGRAVED NAVY so if you see me wearing it you that I know that you know that I'm a stupid american and you can smooch my stupid AMERICAN butt so maybe some of your incredible intellect might somehow rub off on my STUPID AMERICAN BUTT.

So you can stow that portion of your rant, if stupid is wanting a good deal on a nice shooting colt style open top .44 then we's stupid, get it over it frenchy

But I'm with you when you start talking about shame on Cabela's.

Long story not quite as long, I ended up wanting a BP .44 Remington New Model Army Clone. Boy did Cabela's ever give me a great deal! Case hardened beauty, display model with some 'show wear' on cylinder and minor space between one grip and frame. Just under 240 bucks. Not to mention the worst plank yanking I've ever had buying any gun and most of the one's I've bought were of course ffl firearms. DAMN!!

I had a mild safety concern, they put me in a position that was no biggie for an experienced person but which has proven fatal for some less experienced and distracted folks lately. After taking an hour and ten minutes to finally complete a simple non ffl transaction ( they couldn't find THE box for mine so they went into panic paranoia procedure mode BARE GUN!! AHHHH!!! ) then after they got done with a comical ballet of safety 'procedures' ( anti-gun b.s really ) they walk me to the front door and hand me the dang thing with no bag, box, or nothing - go get'em big dog!!! After I asked like at least three times to have it wrapped in some fashion as a parcel ....

I mean that's okay if you want to walk out with your piece in hand, that's your right, legal where I was too ... but it's an area that's very anti-gun and open carry in those parts frequently results in a 911 call, felony stop, etc. Outside Cabela's you should be safe, I'm sure that young man buying the bb gun in the wal mart where open carry was legal thought he was good to go as well..

The store manager finally got back to me and apologized for the plank yanking and for being to cheap to pop for a plastic bag or discarded box... they offered a gift card, I declined but said I'll give them one more chance WHEN I BUY MY STUPID AMERICAN COLT NEVER EXISTED 1851 .NAVY.

And if the O.P. is ever at the outdoor range 'round here they are welcome to bring their historically correct C&B for a friendly target match, to be wagered in STUPID AMERICAN MONEY, keep yo frog-azz scrip there frenchy

But hey, look at my pretty new gun!
Old February 14, 2015, 09:09 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

There's a lot of C & Bs out there that aren't "authentic" and they've been around for years. Back in the 60s, when the Centennial was coming around - the interest in the Civil War grew in leaps and bounds. In those days - a lot of 'em weren't "authentic" . . and they still aren't. At that time, you could buy a "Reb" model or a "Yank" model - it's been so many years ago that I've forgotten just what the difference was. An then there was Richland Arms (Blissfield, MI) that produced a number of "un-authentic" C & Bs. The first one of those that I ever shot was a brass frame Remington NMA that belonged to a friend of mine that got me interested in shooting NSSA. Nope . . . they weren't authentic . . but they sure provided a lot of folks to own and shoot BP revolvers.

I have a feeling that the OP had his tongue in cheek when he posted this. But hey . . authentic or not . . someone must like 'em or they wouldn't be "sold out". Not really my cup of tea as I like my guns "plain" and use them to shoot with. There's "something for everyone" out there . . and like any other rifle, shotgun or handgun . . . if a person doesn't like 'em . . they don't have to buy 'em. I'll never own an "in-line" . . . but a lot of folks like them for hunting and aren't as "traditional" as I am . . . it's called "marketing".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 15, 2015, 08:55 AM   #11
g.willikers

Lack of authenticity didn't stop the popularity of the Ruger cap and ball revolver.
Quality easily won over historical accuracy.
Old February 15, 2015, 10:35 AM   #12
MIOkie

Quote:

"So you can stow that portion of your rant, if stupid is wanting a good deal on a nice shooting colt style open top .44 then we's stupid, get it over it frenchy"

We wouldn't be Americans, stupid or otherwise, were it not for France.
Old February 16, 2015, 09:40 AM   #13
BerdanSS

And the .50GI isn't an "authentic" caliber for the 1911.....But I STILL WANT ONE!

Proudly stupid since 1985