The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 6, 2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Shart1971

S&W SD40VE and Apex SD Spring Kit

Hi everyone, I have a question. I got a S&W SD40VE and I have around 250 rounds down range. I just ordered a Apex SD Spring kit for her. It states it brings the trigger pull from 8 lbs to around 5.5 lbs. has anyone done this to theirs? Can I still use it as my CCW with the kit installed?
Old March 6, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Technosavant

I put the kit in my SW9VE.

There's no way the trigger pull is 5.5 pounds... it's gotta be up over 8, but then, it started at somewhere north of 12. Reliability was not affected.

As for using it in a carry gun, so long as the trigger doesn't feel very light I wouldn't worry about it. While there's debate about using guns customized in any way for defense, even in the post-tweaked form your SD would still have a heavier trigger than other guns.

My reluctance to use my SW9VE for defense isn't because of the spring kit, it's more because I have better guns to choose from. But if that's what I had, I'd think nothing of using it.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:29 PM   #3
kahrguy

techno YOU have a different trigger system in yiour SW pistols.

shart Yes it will bring down the weight to closer to 6lb on a new pistol. Lube with a single drop a clp or pro-shot one step or other light synthetic oil and shot it. It will settle in a bit lighter very close to that 5.5lb.

Apex is good with there product line. Just follow the viseos directions and all will be happy when done. I have helped a friend with a SD model.

techno I have a older sw40ve . I used a wolff RP stricker spring and some youtube SW*ve tricks with trigger springs some polishing of all metal parts that move I brought mine down to 6lbs. Then fired 400 rounds thru it. I do have a trigger pull gauge.