The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2008, 02:23 AM   #1
Big Caliber

Another barrel poll

I'm lookin to MAYBE replace the barrel on a Stevens 200, 25-06. Any thoughts on the following companies: Kreiger, Douglas, & Shilen? Thankyou, the posts I get back from TFL have ALWAYS been gracious and very helpful.
Old January 20, 2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Hawg

Depends on what you want it for. If hunting any of them will do. If competition is what you're looking at get a Krieger or Obermeyer. Krieger is the most accurate but it's so at the cost of accelerated wear.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Harry Bonar

barrel

Sir:
Get hold of Fred Depoy at Douglas Barrels at Charleston WVA.
Harry B.
Old January 20, 2008, 08:48 AM   #4
VaFisher

Quote:
Sir:
Get hold of Fred Depoy at Douglas Barrels at Charleston WVA.
Harry B.
Diddo, Harry is giving some great advise like normal.
Old January 20, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The nice thing about Savage (Stevens) rifles is that barrel changes are a DIY job. Pac-Nor and Shilen sell barrels profiled, chambered, and threaded, ready to screw in. Savage Shooter's Supply sells Savage barrels made on Douglas blanks, and there is an outfit whose name I do not recall selling Lothar Walther barrels for Savage.

All that you need is a barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, and headspace Go gauge. I am NRA Mechanically Inept and if I can do it, you can do it.

Of course there are gunsmiths who will install a Krieger, Hart, Broughton or any other brand you want, but it will run the time and cost up considerably.

Just what do you want to make this Stevens able to do that it will not do now?
Old January 20, 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Big Caliber

What I want it to do..?

That is an excellent question. I wanted to try my hand putting together a hobby rifle. Funds are limited or I woulda bought a Savage 110fp. Actually, I'm going in Monday to order the rifle from my favorite gunny, a Stevens 200. It could be that it will shoot 1moa out of the box. If not, I will tinker with it 'til it does. I expect to drop in a new trig. right off the bat. I'm led to believe a varmint barrel is more accurate than the stock thin tube. I have a 110fp in 308, but w/ the tact barrel, big scope & a stock fit for Fronkenschteen, I don't want to drag it away from the bench. The hobby gun will be mostly for target but maybe it will do for hunting if & when I can retire to Idaho. I thought the 25-06 would make a decent duo purpose, semi-long range varmint rifle. What do you think?
Old January 23, 2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

Savage

Sir:
I think Savage is a "sleeper" rifle - perhaps the best rifle out there. It is plagued with a poor trigger (not since the acutrigger), but very accurate out of the box.
I'd "steel-bed" it, recrown, maybe adjust headspace a couple of thou' tighter, float the bbl. You ought to have a fine shooting rifle.
And, I like the ole 30-06.
Harry B.
Old January 23, 2008, 08:31 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

Savage

Sir:
Doc, and I were down to Douglas Monday and talked to Fred for some time - Doc ordered a Winchester bbl. in 458 LOTT.
Fred explained the normalizing treatment they used and it is complicated!
Their air- guaging is crucial in all phases of the operation and they are using 4140 steel from another vendor who offers it, from a new sophisticated mill who can do much of the heat-treat at the mill - there is very little scrap!
It is my opinion that their button procedure leaves the inside so smooth that there is no need for bbl. break-in!
A swell bunch of guys too!
Harry B.