The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2006, 09:54 PM   #1
cosmolinelover

legality of spotlighting in NM?

So many years ago when I was but a wee lad I did my fair share of spotlighting rabbits and what not, and naturally whether or not it was legal was not a big concern for me at the time.

However I no longer feel that way about things (and haven't for a long time) and I was wondering if any of you know the legalities of spotlighting non-game animals here in New Mexico.

All I've been able to locate so far is a law stating its illegal to spotlight big game animals, but nothing that says the same for non-game species. I do know however its illegal to shoot from a moving vehicle, but any shots that would be taken would undoubtedly be from a stopped position. Is that illegal? Is spotlighting anything illegal?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated guys,

-Cosmo
Old October 8, 2006, 10:07 PM   #2
castnblast

Best bet is to call your local game warden. They'll be happy to answer your question, and you'll get a the right answer.
Old October 8, 2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Desertscout1

Spotlighting in NM is only legal on private land for varmint control. If you're hunting cottontails for food, it's technically illegal but as many as there are this tear, they probably won't bother you. Jacks and coyotes are good anytime...as long as you're on private land
Glocks are what you show your enemies.