The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 18, 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
warbirdlover

Gun Biddler

Is this site for real? What's the catch? There has to be something I'm missing where you pay some hidden cost. I mean guns for under a dollar?

I smell a rat.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
RamItOne

Prolly like quibids
Old September 18, 2012, 06:00 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Penny Auction, AKA ScamCity
Old September 18, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4
RamItOne

Penny auctions

Say what you want about penny auctions, almost $700 in gas cards and Walmart cards (which is pretty much currency) that cost about $320-350 in bids, plus it was fun

But I can see the anxiety if the site isn't mainstream.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
ripnbst

Congratulations. You are the only person ive ever met who won anything on there.
Old September 20, 2012, 12:35 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Same scheme as guns4pennies.

For our previous discussion of that particular site, give this thread a read:
guns4pennies - The Firing Line

As an aside...
When I was just looking up some information on the GunBiddler site, I noticed in the "Latest Winner" section, that some one had just won a Ruger SR40 for a displayed price of $13.46. That means at least 1,345 bids had been placed. Since the cheapest price to purchase a bid is $0.60, each... that means the site took in a minimum of $807 on that auction. But, since most people buy smaller bid packages (up to $0.94 / bid), they may have taken in as much as $1,264.30 on the auction.

If you only place one bid and win... it's a good deal. But, that's usually not the case.
And, once you buy your "bid package", your money is gone. You won't be getting it back when you're outbid.
Old September 20, 2012, 01:10 AM   #7
raftman

Quote:
Is this site for real? What's the catch? There has to be something I'm missing where you pay some hidden cost. I mean guns for under a dollar?

I smell a rat.
Yep. You pay for each bid you place, so you're out however much money you spent on bids even if you don't win the auction, along with everyone else who doesn't win the auction.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Stressfire

Maybe it's just what's posted today....but I didn't really see anything in the listings worth a letter home, much less the bother of shipping and transfer
Old October 19, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
GunBiddler

Q&A

I am the actual manager of GunBiddler and would like to post my 2 cents about the subject, if ya'll don't mind. We are a Penny Auction, very similar to sites like Quibid and Beezid. We have a FFL. I am not running a scam like some people would say. People CAN find some great deals on penny auctions. Like anything else in life however, if people do it stupidly, they can lose a lot of money on penny auctions. We have some players who have gotten some amazing deals and other who have lost their ass. It all depends on strategy. Our top player has received over 40 Firearms from us over the past 6 months.

I'd like to answer any questions you may have about us or penny auctions in general, and clear up some misconceptions. First one being you are not always SOL if you don't win. We have a BUY IT NOW option for most things on our site. This mean if you lose, you can buy the item for the retail price. We give a discount of $0.60 for every bid you placed on the auction, off of the retail price. Second, I can assure you we are not making a "boat load" of money on any auction. We sell more Firearms from the Buy It Now option than we do in the auctions. So, If you see a gun for a ridiculous amount of bids, you can bet several of the players involved used the Buy It Now. Third, Penny Auctions are not gambling. There is no random luck involved. In General, the most persistent player wins. The only way you "lose" is by stopping and not using the Buy It Now.

On a personal note, I'm a U.S. Marine Sgt. I just finished a 6 year contract and did several tours over seas. I'm an avid hunter and fisherman. I will give you a clear and unbiased answer to any question you may have. I understand Penny Auctions aren't for everyone, but many people enjoy using them. I'll also tell you there is only one safe way to use a penny auction site. Always buy the largest Bid Pack so you get the best rate on bids. Only bid on things you are willing to pay retail for, and always Buy It Now. I have used this strategy on other penny auctions sites successfully. Thats the exact same strategy our top players use.

I'm not here to promote my site. I just want to have a voice in the conversation since it is about me and my company. I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

Thanks,
Chris,
GunBiddler Staff
Old October 19, 2012, 04:52 PM   #10
GunBiddler

First Question

Forgot to answer the original question.
The way it works is like this. You purchase or win a Bid Pack. We call them "rounds". You use the "rounds" to bid on auctions. When you place a bid, one bid will be deducted from your account and the auction price will raise by one penny. When the timer is below the 20 second mark, any bid placed will cause the time to reset to 20 seconds. Giving the effect of a live auction. When the timer is allowed to expire, meaning no one bids on top of you, the auction closes. The last person to bid can then purchase the item for the final price plus shipping. We charge a flat rate of $30 shipping for Firearms. It's much lower for everything else. It's pretty much that easy. The difficult part is no one knows how many other players are watching and waiting to bid. It's impossible to predict how much an auction will go for. We have had a 1911 go for $0.09 and a MSBRG 30-06 go for over $34.00. I've seen much higher prices on other sites, but you can never tell whether or not that site is cheating. I trust The Big Sites like QuiBids, Beezid, and Skoreit, but not many others. We have a pretty large number of our players who will back us up when we say we don't use any immoral measures to influence prices. But the fact of the matter is, any penny auction can cheat at anytime. It all boils down to whether or not you trust the site you play on is being fair.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:46 PM   #11
johnbt

"and clear up some misconceptions."

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have any misconceptions about penny auctions.

"I can assure you we are not making a "boat load" of money on any auction."

If the margin isn't good enough, you might consider running a traditional auction instead of a gimmick auction.
Old October 19, 2012, 06:13 PM   #12
silvrjeepr

Penny auctions are what they are. Some people actually put in the time if they reaaallllyyy want something at a bargain. It's not my cup of tea, but for some it is...

Just don't expect something for nothing.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
We have some players who have gotten some amazing deals and other who have lost their ass
Sounds a hell of a lot more like gambling instead of a legitimate auction. While I guess I can't prove that, there's one thing I can prove for certain - they'll never be getting my business (or the business of anyone I know, if I can help it). In short, seems like just one more way for gun enthusiasts to be financially persecuted, except this time it's con men doing it instead of politicians (who were the original con men, so I guess it's not that much different after all).

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 24, 2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Not much gun related happening here...
Closed Thread