The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2012, 07:41 PM   #1
rebs

case lube in the neck of the case ?

I started using Hornady one shot spray case lube and doing it like the directions say. After I resize I wipe the lube off the out side of the case but not inside the case neck, can this affect accuracy since there is lube left in it when you seat the bullet. It seems to me this could affect neck tension, am I right or wrong ?
Old November 29, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
chiefr

Some may disagree with me, but I would never put case lube anywhere inside a case. If lubing inside the necks are needed, I use one of the mica or graphite based lubes currently available.
Yes, case lube would affect neck tension and would affect powder ignition.
I do want to clarify that I am talking about petroleum based lube for resizing the cases in steel dies. The spray type that evaporates quickly is OK

Last edited by chiefr; November 30, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Don H

One Shot is a dry lube, that is, the solvent flashes off rapidly. In the many years that I've been using it, I have never had any powder contamination from it. Haven't noticed any neck tension issues either.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
rebs

I am not asking about powder contamination, but asking if the lube causes the case neck not to be able to hold proper neck tension on the bullet. Under normal conditions there would be no case lube inside the neck, but when using a spray lube you do get lube inside the neck, can this cause a negative affect on accuracy ?
Old November 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
snuffy

No problemo!

It is recommended to use SOME type of lube INSIDE the neck of any bottle necked rifle cases. It's to aid the expander button to slide easily on it's way out of the case.

Most case lube is made to NOT contaminate powder or primers. Just leave it in there. BUT some OCD folks take the time to remove it. It MAY cause loss of neck tension, and it may be inconsistent from one to another, depending on the application method.

One way to get rid of it is to tumble after sizing, that removes the lube from the inside and outside of the case. Just be sure to clear the primer flash hole of chunks of the tumbler media.

Back when I used a lube pad, like the RCBS foam pad, I used oil made by Bonanza press company,(co-ax). Forster bought them out, are now making the co-ax. All I did to lube the inside of the neck was push the case neck into the lube pad lightly to put a film on the mouth of the case. It was plenty to lube the passage of the expander button. I left whatever remained, finished loading them. I considered it to be very consistent.

Now days I use the Midway pump spray, which is lanolin in an alcohol carrier. I spray a loading block with it, some gets in the case necks. Plenty of lube, and I leave it in there. Dillon makes a similar spray lube. You can also make your own, just obtain pure lanolin from a pharmacy, mix it with denatured alcohol. Then load it up in a spray bottle you can get at wally world in the garden dept.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 30, 2012, 10:06 AM   #6
nate45

I just roll my neck brush on my lube pad every once in a while. I've been doing it that way since I was I child. Never had a problem with not enough lube in side the neck, or too much.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:04 AM   #7
jwrowland77

I take a qtip and roll it lightly along the top of some mink oil shoe polish, and run it through the neck real quick. I don't do anything about trying to get it out since I don't apply much.

I've never had any issues with setback or neck tension or inconsistent ammo.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Wallyl

Lubing the inside of rifle case necks

I use a jag tip, a cloth patch, and a small amount of Lee Case sizing lubricant...a little goes a long way. It is of wax and will not contaminate your powder.

It is a good idea to lube the inside of the case neck..if you don't you will stretch your brass when the expander is pulled out of the case.
Old November 30, 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
BigJimP

yes, when you use a spray lube ...you might get a little inside the neck ...but I don't see any decrease in accuracy ...or any issues with it on cases holding bullets../ and I've been using Dillon spray case lube for a long time ( on 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag ).

The way I lube my cases...is to lay them on their sides in a cardboard box lid - that is 11" X 17" ....just one layer of cases....and I spritz them pretty lightly ....and roll them around with my hands....flatten them out again...spritz them really lightly again ....and let them dry. Then I dump them into my case feeder and run them thru the press....
Old November 30, 2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Gbro

I used to lube inside with a Q- tip using RCBS case lube. I experienced stuck bullets from an old batch, however by old I mean 3-4 years on the shelf.
I thought I had mistaken and over charged, but when I tried to pull the bullets on the rest I pulled a bullet in two with vice grips and press. I had to run the whole lot 40 or so thru the seating die and crack them loose. Every one was stuck!
When I shot the first one I was resting on the box of my pickup and I didn't,t do that very often, hood yes. Anyway a co-worker told of resting on the box and didn't,t realize his muzzle wasn't clearing the other side and shot a hole in it, but he said the blast was over the top!
Well my blast was over the top also, but I didn't hit the box, I had to pound the bolt open and I had a blown primer and full case head separation.
I do not use a lube pad with that stick goo anymore. I still lube the inside with lee case lube.
Old December 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Marco Califo

I use a little White Lithium Grease lube on a Q-tip on about every 10th case. Just a little. Enough sticks to the expander for a few rounds. I think I could probably not use any inside the neck and not notice a difference. I do tumble after sizing. My lube pad is a specially imported from Pakistan, pink cotton textile square, that can be folded, rolled up. HFT Item#46163