The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2014, 04:46 PM   #1
Revolvernut

Mossberg 500 ATP

So I just picked up a Mossberg 500 ATP yesterday in a trade. It's in pretty good shape but I don't know much about the ATP. What is the difference between the ATP and the normal 500?
Old April 24, 2014, 05:00 PM   #2
HMC8404

Found this post from 2009:

So I picked this gun up for 250. Oddly enough, the safety is the old variety that isn't as serrated as the new ones and it's metal. The trigger is a weird kind of plastic, harder than the new versions but just...different. 18.5" barrel, riflesights, no real blemishes on stock or forend. Cylinder bore, parkerized finish, Capacity 5+1, integrated sling swivels and MOSSBERG 500ATP stamped under receiver. I looked down the barrel and it was full of cobwebs - I don't think it'd ever been shot. It'd just SAT somewhere. Even had a lot of near-hardened cosmoline in the chamber when I opened her up. And if that wasn't enough, it came with 3 inch mag steel shot shells in the tube....they'd probably been there since the 80's or 90's or whatever timewarp this little tank fell into. It's quite stiff, even after a fieldstrip clean and lube, so I think it needs some trigger time. After cleaning barrel was SPOTLESS. It's also seeming to want to double feed, any idea what could cause that? Possibly a stiff spring from having shells in it for years? Also, I can't seem to find out how to take the mag spring out, or if I even can. It isn't like a 590 where the retainer just prys out. Anybody know? I would've done this deal in a heartbeat ten times over. What do you think?
Old April 24, 2014, 05:08 PM   #3
HMC8404

This? Sweet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 157295_01_mossberg_500atp_police_home_de_640.jpg (9.5 KB, 144 views)
Old April 24, 2014, 05:13 PM   #4
Revolvernut

It's similar but mine has a longer barrel, different style fore grip and no sling swivel.
Old April 24, 2014, 06:47 PM   #5
lamarw

I have one I purchased used in March 2011 for $143.33 plus 10% Alabama sales tax. It was a former Alabama State Highway Patrol shotgun.

Mine is known as the Model 500ATP8. My understanding is the A stands for 12 gauge, the TP stands for Tactical Police and the 8 stands for the magazine capacity of 7 rounds plus 1 in the chamber. It has a 20" barrel and wood furniture for the stock and forearm.

I sent my barrel back to Mossberg and they factory re-blued it for $35.00 at the time. It is now in great shape. I have no problems with mine feeding and it will handle 3" shells but with only a 7 round capacity. The magazine extends to the end of the barrel in length. You would not want the barrel any shorter or you would be shooting your own magazine tube.

There are some with 18 1/2" barrels, but their capacity is reduced to six rounds. There are also some with bayonet lugs.

You might want to do and internet search on the magazine tube. My brief search indicate the magazine unscrews from the receiver and the internet source said they used a Craftsman Strap Wrench to remove it.

I have mine located next to my nightstand. It is an awesome weapon in my opinion for home defense.