The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2014, 02:11 PM   #1
damionkeller

Kel Tec KSG - Any good?

Has anyone fired a Kel Tec KSG shotgun: http://bit.ly/QFm2aE ? Is it as cool as it looks or just a gimmick? Reviews on YouTube are mixed.
Old April 23, 2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Tucker 1371

I love mine, below is quoted from a thread I started recently about.

Quote:
It will hold 22+1 aguila mini shells (pictured are the 7/8th oz slug variety) and it feeds them absolutely flawlessly.

First impressions-

It is quite possibly the handiest weapon I have ever owned. It balances perfectly when loaded, points very naturally, and the grip and controls are all very comfortable and intuitive to manipulate with one exception. The tube selector switch. Just playing with it I have found that the best way to switch tube is by stretching the thumb of your firing hand rearward and flipping it. Also unless you keep count of your rounds it's virtually impossible to know when to switch until you hear "click". Recoil is very controllable compared to a conventional shotgun.

My only other caveats with it are- 1) that you have to absolutely abuse it when ejecting a spent shell. It slides 99% of the way smoothly and with ease, but it takes a decent amount of force to go the last 1% and release a new shell from the tube, and- 2) that it is extremely difficult to load compared to a conventional shotgun.

Here is a video of my first range trip with it, note how I take a second to realize that I need to switch tubes .

http://youtu.be/epGzQusc4po

So to sum up

PROS
- huge ammo capacity
- (mostly) great ergonomics
- light and compact
- controllable follow up shots

CONS
- awkward to load
- hard to know when to switch tubes
- must be pumped like its a quarterhorse and you're a jockey on the homestretch with a triple crown in sight
-I paid $950 for a pump shotgun... Albeit a pump shotgun that puts a huge grin on my face
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old April 24, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3
jehu

When they first came out with the gun they had a problem with the pump action sticking in the rearward position. I had one and sent it back and they made the upgrade and it has worked flawlessly since and now I have two. IMO it is the most inovative design in a home defense/law enforcement shotgun to date. Get one if you can and get comfortable with it and if you don't like it you will have no trouble selling it as they are hard to find and are in demand.
Old April 24, 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
damionkeller

Thanks for the review, Tucker. Good stuff. I've heard others mention the ejection issue too.

Jehu - I might have to give it a try. Like you said, if I don't like it (which I can't imagine), I'm sure someone will take it off my hands. $980 seems to be a pretty good deal.
Old April 24, 2014, 10:18 PM   #5
Tucker 1371

Quote:
Thanks for the review, Tucker. Good stuff. I've heard others mention the ejection issue too.
Not so much an ejection issue, it spits the empty shells just fine. It's getting a shell to leave the tube that requires a little more force than most pump shotguns. It never caused me or my buddy I deployed with any problems but his nephew is a relatively inexperienced shooter and had several instances where he just didn't pump it hard enough and a new shell was not pushed from the tube.
Old April 27, 2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Valerko

Shot one this weekend.
Not a whole lot of bad I can say about it.
http://youtu.be/-D-ttt9f1yE
Old April 28, 2014, 01:54 AM   #7
Tucker 1371

Nice video! I HIGHLY recommend getting either a foregrip or a hand stop for it. The support hand is so close to the muzzle that if it slipped you might wind up accidentally shooting it.
Old April 28, 2014, 01:00 PM   #8
damionkeller

@valerko Where did you buy yours?
Old April 28, 2014, 09:11 PM   #9
Justice06RR

I shot and handled one as well. It is a very cool and functional shotgun IMO although a bit over-priced. Very short due to the bullpup design but still functional once you know how to use it. Capacity is the biggest advantage. I think it also looks awesome, unlike most plain pump shotguns.

If you can get over the price its a good buy.
Old April 28, 2014, 10:10 PM   #10
Valerko

Didn't buy mine yet. That one belongs to a frind. But after shooting it , I've emailed my LGS , since I know he has one , and had him put aside for me.
Now , I just have to figure out how to pay for it.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:44 PM   #11
more_bullets

If they made this in a semi-auto configuration I would buy one tomorrow no matter the cost!!
Old May 2, 2014, 06:24 AM   #12
jehu

If you get one there are after market muzzel brakes made that screw onto the bbl. ,after you take the barrel nut off, and greatly reduce the recoil. The other thing I did was put on a Kickezz slipon recoil pad,small size, which calms it down as well.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Gbnk82

I love the idea behind the ksg.compact high capacity shotgun great for home defense.however I don't think I could ever justify spending a grand or more for a pump action shotgun..however for someone like me on a tight budget IMO you are much better getting a nice mossberg 500 or an 870 for about 250-300 and using the other 700 bucks on aftermarket to customize it to fit your needs and lots of ammo for training..I'm more confident with the 8 shot gun I had tons of practice with than the 16 shot gun that I bought and then couldn't afford to shoot..but if money is no concern to you and 1000 bucks is chump change then by all means go for the ksg and get a lot of training with it
Old May 2, 2014, 12:22 PM   #14
Mike1234

Gbnk82... I'm with you on the price. Had I tons of play money I'd have had one long ago. And good on those who can afford one. But $1000 is just too much for me. I really like the 22+1 capacity with its ability to reliably cycle Aguila mini shells.
Old May 2, 2014, 01:16 PM   #15
darkgael

kel tec

It is cool looking.
If I were in combat, I would be happy to have one.
But....that is a lot of money to spend on a limited use weapon.....a piece that, with any luck at all, you will never use for it's intended purpose and is less than optimal for anything else.
Yes....I have guns that have little use other than "coolness".
Enjoy the thing. Let us know if the pump stiffness breaks in and gets better.
Pete
Old May 2, 2014, 03:12 PM   #16
Gbnk82

Quote:
Gbnk82... I'm with you on the price. Had I tons of play money I'd have had one long ago. And good on those who can afford one. But $1000 is just too much for me. I really like the 22+1 capacity with its ability to reliably cycle Aguila mini shells.
Yes that is a big plus I have never tryed the mini shells in my mossberg before because I have heard they have lots of trouble feeding.but yep to much for a pump for me especilly when I feel more than capable with 8 rounds of buckshot in my current gun and 5 backups..honestly I can envision a situation that I would need 22 rounds of 12 gauge to defend my home but like I have said before more is a better problem to have..someday if money is not an issue for me I will get one but for now my expensive firearms have to have multiple purposes for me so I can get the best bang for my buck