The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 17, 2009, 06:34 PM   #1
dallas-shooting

First Time Hunting Suppressed!!!

Have hunted hogs forever, but this was the first time suppressed. My close friend is a class 3 dealer so he finally convinced me to order one. I am ordering a YHM 7.62 phantom for my DPMS. Now the long wait for the stamp to arrive. I tried a few out and this is the one I ordered.

Old June 18, 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Legion2600

Sweeeeet . I've got a suppressed 77/44 and its cool but of course its bolt action. I'd like a set up like yours with a touch of night vision or thermal on top ---- like these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnqptBYfESI
Old June 19, 2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Wiskey_33

Quote:
I'd like a set up like yours with a touch of night vision or thermal on top ---- like these guys:
Ya better start saving: http://www.night-vision-gear.com/the...ghts-c-42.html

The thermal scopes he has on his BAR's are military grade, not what he's trying to sell on his website www.jagerpro.com

I've been on one of his outings, and it's a lot of fun. So many hogs tearing up crops.

Last edited by Wiskey_33; June 19, 2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old June 19, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
snevensmores

Whew, Legion, by the looks of those prices, you better be loaded or unmarried, or that dream ship has done sailed.

That's a badass looking gun, though, dallas.

GO CARDS!
Old June 19, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

You may want to re-think posting illegal hunting activities on the Internet. Hunting with a suppressor is illegal in Texas. Go here and go to Page 54. It's clearly stated as being "NOT LEGAL".
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._2008_2009.pdf
Old June 19, 2009, 06:22 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

T.O., Actually what I read was that the suppressed firearm is not legal for "game animals". Feral hogs are considered feral livestock and not game animals in most places. In florida many think it is illegal to use electronic callers for coyotes but it is legal as they are not considered a game animal.
Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; June 19, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
dallas-shooting

You may want to re-think posting illegal hunting activities on the Internet. Hunting with a suppressor is illegal in Texas. Go here and go to Page 54. It's clearly stated as being "NOT LEGAL".
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat..._2008_2009.pdf

As another poster already has stated, in Texas they are non game animals and can be hunting by any means you can think of. You can use machine guns, night vision, thermal spotlight anything you can think of. Additionally they are one of 2 animals that I know of that you can leave the where they lie without cleaning them. Many hunting outfits only use nightvision and suppressors for hogs. Same with coyotes in Texas, any means you want to. Suppressors are very very very popular for hogs in Texas, most serious hunters I know have them or have on ordered.
Old June 22, 2009, 01:17 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

So tell us a bit more about how the hogs reacted to being shot at with a suppressed rifle. I've watched it a few times myself and it is always tough to predict what will happen.
Old June 22, 2009, 01:40 PM   #9
jmorris

The one thing I find the most predictable about animals is that they are not always predictable. I’ve seen both deer and hogs remain within yards of another animal shot with an unsuppressed rifle.

Even if you’re using subsonic (super sonic sounds like a .22lr) just the impact of the bullet into the pig can cause quite a bit of noise (think 600grain @ 1050fps). Suppressed is better than nothing but a bow and arrow makes less noise most of the time.
Old June 22, 2009, 02:52 PM   #10
dallas-shooting

Suppression is awesome for shooting into a sounder, gives you more opportunities to take out more than one. Other than that is doesn't matter. We shot one this weekend with an unsuppressed SBR that was loud as heck, then we ran up another less than 50 yards away thirty minutes later. They are not effected by gun shots in our area. I have shot into the middle of a huge sounder and have them return an hour later. Suppressors allow me to never wear hearing protection again, thats the real advantage to me.