The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2004, 11:30 AM   #1
FirstFreedom

I got a chuckle out of this ad in my local classifieds today

"For Sale - Browning Gold, 10 ga, 3.5" magnum, Shot once, $925.00."

Once - tee hee.
Old September 23, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2
grey_pilgrim

Try before you buy is definately a good idea with something like that.

Or meybe it was the scarcity of ammo.

I had a good friend get one, but he had trouble finding birdshot ammo for it. . . or thats what he told me when i invited him to come sporting clay shooting with me.

12 ga is quite enough, thank you very much and good day to you sir.
Old September 24, 2004, 04:23 AM   #3
Kilrain

Size comparison of a 10 gauge, 3 1/2" slug versus a standard 12 gauge, 2 3/4" slug............fun, fun!

Old September 24, 2004, 04:59 AM   #4
RKBAadvocate

Holy crap! I'd sport one if I could afford it......
Old September 24, 2004, 08:33 AM   #5
Quartus

Hmmm. How you YOU spell pain?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old September 24, 2004, 01:51 PM   #6
scbair

No kidding!?! I have one Remington 8 gauge "Industrial" slug (it is supposedly used in some mining/quarrying operations to safely remove overhangs, etc.; that's what I've heard, at least). I imagine it's fired from some solidly-mounted arm; hate to touch that one of in a big single-barrel top-break!!
Old September 24, 2004, 02:38 PM   #7
Kilrain

10 gauge

The top is my 10 gauge Ithaca Mag-10 Roadblocker. It really is quite the experience to shoot but if you aren't particularly recoil sensitive, it ain't that bad........

Old September 24, 2004, 05:51 PM   #8
Brian D.

SCBair, a buddy of mine used to work at a quarry where those floor mounted 8-gauge guns were used as you describe. He told me that one time, the third shift guys had the bright idea of firing the thing with its noise reducer removed. (I guess a suppressor is legally okay for an industrial gun.) Anyhow, he reports that the resultant concussion took out most of the windows in that particular room!
Over the years he's given me a few of those shells, both the loaded 3 ounce slugs, as well as empty hulls. I've had a bit of fun "salting" various places with them. Kinda fun to let a law enforcement pal who works a bad neighborhood in on the joke; when one of his coworkers finds one or two of those empties on the sidewalk and reports to the precinct, there's a bit of excitement created by the thought that "one of the locals must be using a REALLY BIG gun now, oh my God!"
Btw, two things about this prank: 1) The cop who's in on the joke tells his coworkers before too long; 2) Heck no, my fingerprints aren't on the hulls..
Old September 25, 2004, 09:33 AM   #9
HSMITH

The autoloading 10 is not anywhere NEAR as nasty as a 3.5" 12 gauge pumpgun, and is a good bit softer shooting than the 3.5" 12 autoloaders. The exception to this is the newest Gold 10 with the alloy reciever, it feels nearly identical to the Gold 12 3.5" as the weights are nearly the same. Most 10's are in the 11-13 pound range, and most 3.5" 12's are in the 7-8.5 pound range with ballistics nearly the same as the 10.
Old October 17, 2004, 11:17 PM   #10
hutnhut

Now that was funny!

I bet the poor soul was from some place warm, where he was out to try it out in nothing more than a tee shirt too! Next stop, the ER to get his shoulder put back in place!
Old October 19, 2004, 05:24 PM   #11
kelsey

A gun that kills on both ends.............
Old October 20, 2004, 01:25 AM   #12
gifted

It causes an interesting ponder though. In Halo you have what is supposedly an eight gauge 3.5" magnum pump loaded with buckshot. I'd imagine you'd have to be a seven foot genetically enhanced super soldier with a one ton armor suit to shoot the thing.
Old October 20, 2004, 07:51 PM   #13
MLC

My friends father just bought a 10 gauge autoloader for deer hunting.
His concept as of last time we spoke was as long a barrel as possible with a turkey choke.
He wants a small dense pattern of 00 buck for hunting heavy cover.
I have yet to see what he bought or how it shoots.