The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2015, 02:11 PM   #1
Buzzard Bait

Remington 66 and graphite?

I am lucky enough to have a Remington 66 that is in very good condition its new to me and I would say it looks to have spent most of it's life as a closet queen. It doesn't function well acts like a gun that is dry and needs oil. They (who ever that is) say not to oil a Remington 66. So I took it apart and cleaned it with soap and water. With the help of an online video I got it back together it still was sluggish so I lubed the bolt and the track it rides in with Graphite haven't had time to go to the range and try it out but it feels smooth and the bolt closes with authority I have no doubt that its going to run fine. Now I'm wondering if that was the right solution or if the graphite might cause me grief in the future. I used a very fine graphite that is sold for use in locks. Does anyone have thoughts or experience on this?
bb
Old February 10, 2015, 02:36 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Graphite won't hurt it, but a buddy of mine had one and never lubed it. No fuss.
The user manual and Field Service(Didn't look. No idea what's in it) are here.
http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Old February 10, 2015, 03:14 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Oil won't hurt it either, except that oil picks up crud and that rifle is not especially easy to clean. The nylon is actually self-lubricating so no other lubrication is needed.

But, as with any .22, crud will build up. I don't recommend cleaning with soap and water (there are steel parts that can rust) but hosing it down with a gun cleaner or something like G96 Gun Treatment will usually do the job.

Jim
Old February 10, 2015, 10:26 PM   #4
Snyper

I'd use a Teflon or Silicone dry lube instead of any "wet" oil
Old February 10, 2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Buzzard Bait

soap and water route

I went with soap and water instead of solvents because I didn't know how the zetal plastic might react to modern solvents. I did use a solvents to clean the barrel while it was out of the gun and dried it off before reassembling
bb
Old February 10, 2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Buzzard Bait

Thanks

T.O'Heir thanks that is a great web sight I had never heard of it and yea the original owners manual says oil sparingly,,,, the people on some sights make it sound like one drop of oil and the nylon would melt
Thanks
bb
Old February 11, 2015, 08:21 AM   #7
cecILL

Been oiling mine since $59.95. Hasn't hurt it. Clean every 2-3 thousand rounds.
Old February 11, 2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Buzzard Bait

It's a fun one makes your face smile

I took it out to sight it in,,,,,it took maybe 10-15 shots to get sighted in but then I couldn't stop went threw about 200 rounds. Its way too much fun to stop after just a few shots. It's kind of hard to shoot for top accuracy in that the trigger pull is close to the weight of the gun but still lots of fun. Takes me back to childhood, had a friend that had one that we put lots of rounds threw that one different time early 60s kids walking down a gravel road and shooting a 22 off a wooden bridge at things floating in the water didn't draw any attention or cause any problem no swat team showed up and we all lived threw it.
bb